DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
supersuperwendy
any happy little thought?

To Split Stay/ or NOT?? wwyd?

We've had this habit of doing split stays in recent years. This past summer we did 3 resorts in 9 days. It was just too much and I wouldn't do 3 in one trip again. My thoughts for next summer were to just stay at one resort the whole time. But yet again I keep thinking I'd like to experience different things in one visit. If you haven't yet stayed at all of the DVC resorts would you split stay on a 5 night trip to experience more? I was thinking maybe 2 nights at one resort and 3 nights at another? crazy? or go for it?
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

supersuperwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

What size family is going? If it's a good size family, and especially if it includes young children, I wouldn't do a split stay for that short a period of time. When I go solo, split stays don't usually bother me-I've done 2 nights at each of 2 different resorts, and last time I stayed in 4 locations over 12 days. However, it might be nice to take a break-my next stay will be at one location only, and that's probably what I'd recommend for you-a break from split stays.
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

We did a BLT-WVL-SSR split 2 summers ago with a stopover at HHI with a drive down from CT. It was for a longer period of time. Nice to experience the resort but I'm not a fan of packing up and moving. And if I could pick stay at one resort and enjoy what that resort has to offer over split stay I'd do the one resort.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

We will only split stay if we can stay 5 nights per leg. Anything less and we aren't enjoying our vacation, we are moving.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I don't like split stays as much when I'm with others. I have a 5 night split stay with friends in January and I am not looking forward to it, but it seemed like a good idea. I have Jambo for 2 nights because I wanted to show it off, and then my one friend really enjoys the International area of Epcot, so I thought BWV would be perfect, too. So we have 3 nights there. I did go back and forth about changing it, but always kept it. Now, it can't be changed, it's in the MLK jr weekend time.

If I were you, with 5 nights in one place, I would keep it.

Bobbi
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We are doing a split stay June 2013, we are going for 2 weeks. One week at BCV & one week at BLT.

I don't think I would do a split stay for a week, my DH would have a fit. But if that is what you like go for it. You do have many years left of DVC to stay at all the resorts.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

We find ourselves doing split stays often. However, no matter how well planned, there still seems to be time devoted/lost to switching hotels. Like a PP said...if on my own, I think doing a split stay with 5 nights would be okay. With others, or a family, it might not be worth it.

BTW, one year when we went on our kids' bdays (they are a week apart), my son's bday wish was for us to check in and stay at one property...not move. Unfortunately, OKW booked us in a 2nd floor room and we had to move to a first floor the next day...which happened to be his actual bday. He was not a happy camper!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
supersuperwendy

I did go ahead and book the split stay. BCV was available for the last two nights of our trip. We'll have my MIL and BIL in tow, so they'll just have to deal!!!
Now approaching Mickey's Star Traders......DVC Trip Report 2012! <-----Click Here! Commando Club member #118
DVC Members since 2008

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I'm a squatter. LOL. We tried a split stay a few times, generally when we are there 7+ nights. I simply don't like having to move after the 4th day. I really don't like moving if I'm at a resort I've never stayed at before, just around day 3 or 4 I've gotten the lay of the land so to speak and settled into the resort only to have to move.

I think I'm pretty much over doing split stays.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
supersuperwendy

I'm the one who does the packing of everyones stuff and we always leave our room early in the morning anyway so on a split stay check out day nothing changes for my family! Out the door we go as usual bright and early. Mid afternoon we go to the next resort and check in then back out for a fun night! It doesn't put a crimp into our days at all. I like that we get to experience different resorts via split stays. Once we visit BVC next summer we only need to try out OKW, Jambo, a treehouse and the new grand floridian villas and maybe we can finally stop split stays!!!
DVC Members since 2008

Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
I'm the one who does the packing of everyones stuff and we always leave our room early in the morning anyway so on a split stay check out day nothing changes for my family! Out the door we go as usual bright and early. Mid afternoon we go to the next resort and check in then back out for a fun night! It doesn't put a crimp into our days at all. I like that we get to experience different resorts via split stays. Once we visit BVC next summer we only need to try out OKW, Jambo, a treehouse and the new grand floridian villas and maybe we can finally stop split stays!!!
You are a good sport! Well, enjoy whatever you decide!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
SleepyatDVC
The Untagged
... and I wasn't wearing any pants!!!!

Packing and unpacking always stresses me out. Even through we are out the door super early, I don't want to be up late too, making sure every thing is packed up. My vacation does start until I am unpacked and spread out. So, no more split stays for us if we can help it.

Also, there are always carryon stuff like electronics, cameras, etc. we never leave with bell services, so we always wind up lugging extra stuff on the change over day.

Have a great time no matter what!

Sep 1999 Marriott Cypress Harbor---May 2000 Liki Tiki---Nov 2001 BC---Nov/Dec 2001 OKW---March 2002 VWL---Sep 2002 BWV & BCV---Dec 2002 CR---Mar 2003 St. Thomas ---Jun 2003 VWL---October 2003 Marriott Grand Vista & HAL Cruise & Miami ---Jan 2004 OKW GV---Jun 2004 CCL Victory Canada ---Apr/May 2005 BWV & Marriott Cypress Harbor---Oct 2005 BWV---Feb 2006 OKW---Apr 2006 Miami ---August 2006 BWV---Feb 2007 VWL --Apr 2007 NCL Dawn 11 night S Caribbean Cruise --- Aug 2007 BWV/AKV --- Oct 2007 NCL Crown Bermuda --- Apr 2008 BWV/AKV --- Aug 2008 BWV/Marriott Cypress Harbor --- Feb 2009 Miami --- Apr 2009 NCL Pearl ---Aug 2009 CSR, BLT & DCL Magic --- Feb 2010 BWV --- July 2011 AKV ---June/July 2012 Italy/Turkey/Greece Celebrity Equinox --- Feb 2013 BWV --- Aug 2013 AKL --- Dec 2013 BWV/OKW

SleepyatDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

The only reason I've done a split stay (twice in 12 years) is because I decided later than usual on the trip and couldn't get all of my days at the same resort! I wait-listed but one didn't come through. Personally, I find split stays to be a nuisance a waste of precious relaxation time but to each his own!

I can see the benefit of down sizing or the reverse depending on the amount of guest coming & going in order to save a a big amount of points!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

We have done a split stay before. Last year we did POP and SSR... but we STARTED with SSR.

Don't do that.

Always go to the "lesser" hotel first, and end with the big one.

Would I do a split-stay again? No, probably not. We didn't LOVE doing the check in, get settled, pack up, check out, check in, get settled, pack up, go home situation. But, to each his own!!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
KSL
Mouseketeer

We did a split stay last year (AKV-Jambo and BLT) and are planning one this upcoming August (BWV and BLT). I agree with OP that it's a great way to experience different resorts and we didn't find the move to be a problem or very time-consuming. We took it as an 'off' day where we slept late, checked out the resort one last time (including gift shop which could take my girls hours as it is!), transportation over to BLT, checked in, went to the pool, went to the room when it was ready, received our luggage from AKV and had some groceries delivered, had a nice dinner, etc. It was a great day and very relaxing, actually! But with 12 days we could take a day to do all of that and not feel like it was 'wasted'. With only 5 nights, I might feel like the relocation process was taking too much of my vacation time. Our trip was 5 days at AKV and then a week at BLT (and upcoming will be 5 @ BWV and a week at BLT). I think I would still do a split stay for fewer days, maybe 4-4 or 3-5 for an 8 day trip. But I'm not sure I would do it for less than that. Just our opinion. But if there's a resort you really want to try and can only get it for a night or two, then go for it! Have a great time!

Aug '06 ASMovies (DH, me & DD1 trip) / June '07 POR (10th anniversary trip) / Aug '08 POP (DH, me & DD2 trip) / Aug '10 CBR (DH, me & DD3 trip) / Aug '11 Split Stay AKV/BLT (whole family, finally!) / Feb. '12 OKW / July '12 GCH (no kids!) / BWV/BLT split stay Aug '13 / YC May '14 (SWW!) / VGF/BLT split stay July-Aug '14

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: