Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Eoywin
DIS Veteran

Should we bring or rent a stroller?

Since we are now booked for our October 2013 vacation, my DH and I have been discussing some logistics.

Even though DD (who is currently 4) has not used a stroller for several years, we are planning on using one at Disney. Now DH wants to just rent a stroller at Disney but I'm a little concerned about the cost so I suggested just getting an umbrella stroller.

Now, we are only doing 3 park days and we are planning on taking midday breaks at our hotel (staying at AoA), so we might not need a stroller every day.

What would you all suggest? Bring or rent a stroller?

Me DH DD - 5 years old

Past Trips: 1986 (offsite), 1993 (offsite), 2007(CBR), 2013 (AoA)

My Next WDW Trip: October 2016

The October 2016 Facebook Group

Visit my Blog!
Eoywin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I personally think the ones you rent at WDW are perfect for older kids. They are very easy to hop in and out of, and easy to push, and then you don't have to deal with them on buses, in the airport, or at the hotel. When we'd go places with non-nappers (3 - 5 year olds), such as WDW, zoos, Hershey, we'd rent park strollers instead of taking our own.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoywin View Post
Since we are now booked for our October 2013 vacation, my DH and I have been discussing some logistics.

Even though DD (who is currently 4) has not used a stroller for several years, we are planning on using one at Disney. Now DH wants to just rent a stroller at Disney but I'm a little concerned about the cost so I suggested just getting an umbrella stroller.

Now, we are only doing 3 park days and we are planning on taking midday breaks at our hotel (staying at AoA), so we might not need a stroller every day.

What would you all suggest? Bring or rent a stroller?
I would suggest making it easier and not bringing a stroller. For only 3 days max and you already feel you won't need it all three days it may not be worth the effort. I say go to the park and see how DD does, especially if you are taking mid day breaks. If it turns out you need a stroller one day, rent one.

If you thought you would be using it all three days or were spending full days in the parks I would say bring an umbrella stroller, but that does not sound like your situation.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Eoywin
DIS Veteran

I think playing it by ear and renting one if need be is probably the best way to go. Thanks for your input!

Me DH DD - 5 years old

Visit my Blog!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
SonomaCountyDad
Earning My Ears

We just finished up a week there with our 4 year old. He hasn't used a stroller at home for at least a year, but we did rent one from an outside company. Although I'm glad we got it, we didn't use it even one time. The stroller remained in the bag for the entire trip. The longest we spent in any park before returning to our resort was about 5 hours.

So, I'm glad we had a stroller in case it was needed, and I'm glad we rented one so I didn't need to lug one around the airports. Especially since it wasn't used, I probably wouldn't have been happy if we had brought one from home.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

May I join your topic ?? I've been thinking the same thing.

My twins are 5 yrs old and a 3 yr old and it seems when we go places at least one or two want a ride on mom or dad's back. I have a double umbrella stroller which packs up small and I wanted it for the airport mostly to keep them together. One child is SUPER fast and takes off, the 3 yr old tries to catch up to her which makes her run faster and further, and the other 5 yr old is SUPER slow like a snail admiring the flowers -- literally !!

Should I take my own or just rent from Disney when needed ? Where in the park can you rent them, only at one location ? I've heard that they are not super comfortable and need pillows & some padding is this true ? I'm guessing coats help with that since we are going in January.

Heather
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
SonomaCountyDad
Earning My Ears

When we went last week, my wife's sister was also there with her 4-year old twins. They brought their own double umbrella stroller from home along with a single umbrella stroller.

They brought the single stroller so they could split up if they wanted to and make sure that each child always had access to a stroller. Since most of the time they would be together, they wanted the double stroller instead of two single strollers, so that only one person had to push the stroller. They also ended up using the strollers at Downtown Disney, which is something they couldn't have done with the ones rented in the park.

Of course, they also saved money by bringing their own, but they also had to deal with the issues that come along with that (bringing it through the airport, carrying both strollers on the Disney buses...)
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Eoywin
DIS Veteran

We aren't flying - we only live 9 hours away so we drive. So we wouldn't need to worry about hauling it through an airport which is one reason I was considering an umbrella stroller.

But she might not need one since I'm planning on midday breaks. We went to the zoo a few months ago and she was able to tour that just fine without taking a break. Which is different than Disney but still a lot of walking.

Me DH DD - 5 years old

Visit my Blog!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaCountyDad View Post
They brought the single stroller so they could split up if they wanted to and make sure that each child always had access to a stroller..)
They brought 2 stroller so that there was no chance of a 4 year old to be without a stroller? Really? Most 4 year olds will hardly use a stroller, never mind not having their feet touch pavement.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
kthruz143
Earning My Ears

dd is 4 and we went in August, she did not sit in a stroller once nor did she ever say her feet hurt

Honeymoon 6/07 All Star Movies
September 2011 All Star Movies
August 2012 All Star Moves
October 2013 Art of Animation
May 2014 Contemporary Resort and 1st Disney Cruise
kthruz143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
allstonsmommy
Mouseketeer

Unless someone is specifically asking opinions on whether or not a child needs a stroller for that age group, why flame them? It's every parents choice whether or not they allow their child (whatever the age) to sit in a stroller.

Just had to get that off my chest, rant over.
allstonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
pinktink83
DIS Veteran

I for sure would bring one, but not the cheapy tiny umbrella strollers. Get the one up versions, with slightly taller handles and a little more structured. They have lots for under $100.

*Disneyland (CA) 5/06: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report} *SeaWorld 8/07: 1st w/ kids! {Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 10/08: 1st Halloween! *Daddy/Son Legoland 5/09
*Mommy/Daughter American Girl Place LA 1/11{Trip report}
*Disneyland (CA) 11/11: 1st Christmas! *Disneyland (CA) 1/13: Carsland!
pinktink83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Eoywin
DIS Veteran

I think we'll be renting if we need one, though I'd never buy one more than a cheapy umbrella since we don't use strollers at all at home. It would be a huge waste of money.

Thanks for the input everyone. It may very well be that she won't need a stroller at all since we are going to take a midday break.

Me DH DD - 5 years old

Visit my Blog!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
vdub322
Are we there yet?

Our DD will be four in March and never uses a stroller at home, but we decided to rent one from an outside company for our January trip. There will be a lot of times she will want to walk, but when we went in April/May of last year she enjoyed being able to jump in if she felt like it. Plus, we threw our sunblock, ponchos, etc in the bottom basket before we left the hotel and used it to carry stuff. We parked it in "stroller parking" when we were checking out attractions.

I would either bring mine from home (like I did last year when we drove) or rent one from an outside company. I really don't like the ones that WDW rents (expensive and uncomfortable), and I like to have the option of having it with us at the resort.

Good luck and have fun!

vdub322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
godiva99
Mouseketeer

I will be either taking or renting one for our February trip...haven't decided yet. I do plan to take breaks, but since it's our first trip, I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

My girls will be 2 months shy of 6 & 4 and I'd rather have the option of comfort and a quick resting spot than to have tired whining kids that'll just make matters worse...

I could care less what other parents think of that!

Also, umbrella strollers are so small, I don't understand the inconvenience it may present...so if you can save a few bucks by taking yours, then go ahead and take one because she will get tired...there may be a lot of standing versus walking and that tires them out more...
godiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: