Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

Can anyone tell me about Portobello?

We had to change our plans so we had to pick something last minute that wasn't in a park. We took Portobello but I know nothing about it. Who has been there, how would you rate it and what would you recommend? I would try to get something else but the site is down.

Last edited by Deanie1; 12-03-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Change title
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

We haven't been to Portobello in a few years mainly because we haven't been doing Disney trips as often. That being said, Portobello has always been a favorite of ours. The food has always been good. We've also enjoyed outdoor seating for our meals. Unless it's changed drastically, you should enjoy your meal there.
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Our Ratings of Portobello: (3/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Portobello is owned by the Levy Group, along with Fulton's
and Wolfgang Puck's at Disney. The Italian is surprisingly well above
average for a WDW eatery. Good variety of pasta, and a good choice
of seafood and beef. I would skip the Chicken and the Osso Buco. Like
most of the Levy eateries, they are a little over priced for the quantity
and quality.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Luv4Disney
DIS Veteran

We LOVED Portobello. We enjoy their food, the atmosphere, and when we go it's usually pretty quiet. HOWEVER, that being said, the last time we went (September) there was a hair on my arancini. THEN, they brought out my sandwich and there was a hair on the meat. It seemed like only my food was a problem. Once I saw the hair on my sandwich I asked a different waitress to get our waitress. She asked why and I said because there was a hair on my sandwich meat to which she replied "The guy who makes the sandwiches is bald." Umm, thanks for sharing. I guess it came from someone else or not from his head. Ugh. I was so disgusted. Both times the hair was "stuck" on so the hair must've been baked onto the sandwich and the hair on the arancini must've stuck on after being removed from the fryer. I'm really bummed because we really like the place but now I am obviously hesitant and skeeved out to go back.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

We've enjoyed Portobello's several times.

We travel 6-8, we always get a couple of appetizers. We love the Grande Misti platter, it has prosciutto, soppresseta salami, pickled veggies, baby mozzarella's (bocconcini's) pecorino, crostini and we always get the platter of calamari.

They have a really good bolognese sauce as well as a pork ragu that is served on gnocchi's. My son loves the large raviolis. There is better Italian at Disney but Portobello's price is not bad for the local! We love Downtown Disney!

So far, no hair! But maybe I need to start wearing my glasses when I eat!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
minnime
Earning My Ears

My husband and a friend ate at Portbello's 2 weeks ago and it was a nightmare. It took 2 hours to be served out lunch. We had to ask the hostess two times for a server and I am sorry we did not leave. The food was not good and surprise...it was cold. The restaurant was not busy and we will never go there again.
minnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

My family tried Portobello for the first time this October. We went to one of the F&W demos by Tony Mantauno last year. Sadly, it's not on our list of places to back to. While it wasn't terrible, there was nothing really outstanding about the food.

We tried the arancini and calamari appetizers. These were both pretty good. The calamari was nice and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. The arancini were large (not little bite sized pieces), but still had good flavor. (Personally, I liked the arancini at VN better). If I'd stopped eating here, I would have said Portobello was good and worth another try.

For our entrees we had the linguine with clams and the black fettuccine with rock shrimp. The linguine was good; lots of clams and a flavorful sauce. The fettuccine dish was very bland - absolutely nothing like the one served at the F&W demo (the whole reason to go to Portobello). I would have said the chef forgot to put the sauce on the pasta, except the asparagus and shrimp were present. I ended up using some of the left over sauce from the linguine to try and add some flavor to the fettuccine.

In terms of service, the server was competent, but not very present. He took our order in a timely fashion and brought out the first round of drinks. Finding him to get refills was difficult (in his defense he had two other tables with large groups (8 ish) to serve at the same time, so our small party in the corner was probably pretty easy to forget about).

Overall, Portobello was okay, but nothing about it made it standout among all the other choices at WDW.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Deanie1
Mouseketeer

We kept our ADR at POrtobello and I just want to report that we had a lovely meal. My two sisters had the Farfalle and loved it and I had the vegetarian lasagna. For dessert we all had the creme brûlée. One sister has multiple allergies and the server and chef were both great. This is our eighth TS on this trip and so far, this has been the best server, even though they have all been great.
Deanie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear you had a good experience!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: