Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

I spent time at WDW as a solo traveler...

DD just started the college program at WDW a few weeks ago so I went down with her to help her get adjusted. I spent 11 nights at the world. The first two were in sheer tortureous pain! But then while DD was doing things like Traditions and some other training I decided to spend time in the park as a solo traveler to see how Disney 'treats' a 'disabled' solo traveler with a GAC. I can come back here and report that I am pleasantly surprised and that I was very IMPRESSED with the way I was treated. When I needed help, they couldn't have been quicker to offer it!

It was interesting to see how as a solo traveler how my GAC was handled a bit differently at the ride entrances versus when I am with my family. I visited MK, Epcot & the Studios.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

no questions, just glad to hear of your positive experience.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

Can I asked if you were using an ECV and if so, how do you manage the room door?
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerish
Can I asked if you were using an ECV and if so, how do you manage the room door?
I open the door partway and then hold it open with my leg while I drive into the room. It may be awkward the first time, but it can be done.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerish View Post
Yes, I was. It is my own personally owned one, so it's not a huge oversized bulkier one. Since I have owned it for awhile, I am pretty good at using forward and reverse. I also have a four wheel model which 'I' personally prefer. It gives me MUCH greater leg room to stretch my leg out over the front and I can rest my heel on the front bumper and almost make my leg straight which is 'important' for me. Anyway, I don't and can't really use my leg for the door as my leg is one of my problems. I use my arm/hand.
But I would pull up to the door, swipe my RFID card and then push the door open with my left arm based on how the door was hinged (on this room assignment) and drive in. Leaving the room I would pull up to the door, grab the inside handle and put the ecv in reverse just enough to the open the door past the front wheel. And then once I was past the front wheels, I'd go forward and use my right arm to control the door so it didn't hit me or the ecv. Hope it makes sense the way I explained it. It really isn't quite as difficut as it sounds. The first time or two might be a bit tricky but once you figure out how to line the ecv up with the door (especially from the inside to go out) it's pretty easy. Going in, is always pretty easy. HTH!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the instructions. Handling doors is one of those things I worry about how to do. When I stayed at the Contemporary I had a room with an automatic door opener. That was awesome, I wanted one for home! But values are more likely in my future and as far as I know, they do not have the automatic door option.
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: