Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Jonell
DIS Veteran

DDP with special diet???

We are thinking of not getting the DDP this trip due to my Cardiac diet. Too much fat and sodium intake triggers my atrial fibrillation. I am looking for your experiences with and without the DDP on specialized diets. Do you think it's worth paying for the DDP when one person in the party can't eat whatever they want? Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Bete
DIS Veteran

I think you can make it work with a DP. There are enough choices to make it happen if you are careful about which places you visit to eat. You can also work with Disney's special diets department if you have special needs. Also, buffet places allow you to pick what you eat; so, you can control what you eat. You can even get a supervisor at the buffet places to walk you through the food; so, you make the best choices. You may have to wait a little longer to get a supervisor to help, but it's doable.

You didn't explain the mix in your family, but sometimes even if you feel you are not getting full value the other members in your group make up for your lost on the dining plan.

You can certainly do out of pocket, too. I would play with menus and costs and see what would work out best for you. I think the dining experience is part of the fun at Disney.
Bete is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
mistysue
DIS Veteran

If you have special food needs you are probably better off on the dining plan because if they have to make you special food they can charge you more, but on the dining plan it's covered.
Especially if you want to eat at the places OUTSIDE the parks- like DTD or the boardwalk. My DS's special waffles at Kouzzina's were like $12 instead of the $7 or so that a kid's meal is.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I suggest you check-out the menus on allears.net to see what is available. I believe most of the TS restaurants will offer a "heart healthy" option - of course, whether that is appropriate for your diet is your decision.

As to whether the DDP is "worth-it" - that's sort of an individual decision. Some families swear by the DDP while others will never opt to use it. If you plan a lot of sit-down table service meals for dinner (as opposed to breakfast or lunch) and tend to order the more expensive items, that is when the DDP is most cost-effective. Others like having their meals "pre-paid" so to speak but not necessarily concerned about the cost benefit. My family only uses the DDP if it is free, otherwise we definitely can eat for less $$ by paying out-of-pocket; we also tend more towards QS with a TS meal every 2-3 days. And yes, there are healthy QS options, it's not all fast-food quality.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: