Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I had no issues or at least none that would make me absolutly refuse this resort in the future, but it's not my favorite.

I sleep hot but did not notice that it was overly warm at night. I did notice that it wasn't 'cold' but it was fine for me. (just to give you an idea I sleep with only a sheet for most of the winter and I sleep in shorts and tshirt, I get hot when sleeping and it wakes me up if I"m too warm). However I did notice it never would set below 68 and I don't think it ever got lower than 70

Was in the Ursula Building 7, 3rd floor on the end near the LK section (could see the parking lot from my corner) overlooking the walkway to the LM pool. The walk was nominal. I'm so not in great shape but I made the walk in less than 5 minutes it was easy, and had nice scenery. Heck I had more trouble navigating the Beach Club hallways then this, and it took longer to get to the buses, food or Epcot and it was no further from Ursula to the FC than it was from the back of Music to the FC, okay maybe a little further but both walks were about the same to me. Really a non issue. Don't worry about the walk unless you are seriously immobile or you have no stroller for your toddlers other than that I don't think you'll have a problem. Saw tons of kids walking it without even a whine.

I had no problem connecting to wifi with my ipad. I used my phone all over the resort (at&t iphone 4s). No real noise to speak of and no extreme noise from the neighbors. I could hear the occasional flush, but I hear the occasional flush in lots of hotels and it was not constant or bothersome.

Food Court was moderatly busy on Saturday night, but lines were managable. They did not have any Ganache Mickeys. I found out I do NOT like curry. The Tandori Chicken was okay but I disliked the seeds in the rice, the red sauce on the roasted califlouer and, the spinach, though the little hunks of cheese were not bad. The naan bread was very good. Tried the vegitarian curry at the F&W festival and am now really sure I do not like indian food so it wasn't the food court it was my taste buds that were the problem. Other choices at the food court looked and smelled good, just wish I had stuck with something I knew I might like instead of trying something new so I had a better idea of the offerings.

Did online checkin and it was fine, my room was ready at 8am, and it was very quick with no wait. Staff was all very friendly.

I did not swim but I will say the pool was almost always active and busy and while not decibel squealing loud it was easy to hear everything going on by the time you got to the end of LK section.

Buses were busy. Always full and slow to pick up from the MK (only park I went to while I was at this resort), but it was a Saturday.

I might stay there again if I needed the suites (which I might next trip) or it was the cheaper of two options and I needed to save money, but I'm just not a fan of over the top icons as decorations so it would not be my first choice (I actually prefer ASMu for a value stay as I was there on this trip as well and after two stays there I think it will probably be my value choice) for a standard room stay.

Last edited by bookgirl; 12-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Anyone have any issues to discuss?
I loved AoA when I stayed in August. The rooms were spacious and clean. The transportation was excellent. The kids were enthralled with the theme. This will be my go to resort, as a family of 5. I would much prefer this to two rooms at a value.

The only thing I didn't care for was the food court. It was slow, and I didn't care for the food choices. However, I did like the setup of the beverage islands being in all seating areas instead of just a central location.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

I love, love loved this resort. So clean and fun. Great theme too!
Here are some videos I took:
The Big Blue Pool:http://youtu.be/Sov9jQCmZoA
and
Little Mermaid room:http://youtu.be/H1Gnima3Abg
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I was only there for one night but I had no problems whatsoever with lines for the buses. Best bus karma ever. I didn't think the walk from LM was that long. But I'm a big city public transportation user also.

It is true what they have written here about the thermostats. You cannot set them below 68.

As far as the landscaping...they try to fit it into the theme. Little Mermaid has short bushes that are cleverly cut to look like undersea plants and coral. Nemo has the pool. Cars takes place in the desert - you won't find shade trees there. The only place they would probably plant big trees might be Lion King.
I read this on trip advisor. Someone mentioned the way to fix the thermostat problem (if you want your room cooler) is apparently the thermostat is detachable. If you take it off the wall and put it under your pillow the AC stays on. I've never been there so I don't know if this theory works but the mechanics seem right. Just remember to reattach the thermostat.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a Cars suite 12/5-12/11 and loved everything about the resort! Theming was outstanding! My son loved saying good morning and good night to Mater every day! Beds we comfy! The bedspreads were heavy and thick, but we don't use them so we just folded it back without any issues. Mousekeeping was phenomenal! One of our kids got sick and while we cleaned it up they were so kind to sterilize everything for us! And our two year old spilled a cup of water all over the master bed and they came right out to change the sheets and everything for us! We got towel animals daily! Master bath might have the best shower I've ever used! temperature was fine in our rooms. It was morally around 68-70 and a few times I woke up cold at night!

We walked the whole resort and while LM was a little further we had no issues with the walk. We stopped to refill our mugs on our way back to our room and found it to be ok. We loved the food we had at the resort. It was delicious and a lot of different, healthy options!

Pools were fun, although the Cars pool was cold. They were always doing fun activities at the pools. Bus service was great. The only time it took a while was after the Christmas party. Other than that, smooth sailing for us! We loved our stay here and if it weren't for wanting to do a monorail resort because of two little ones we'd stay here again and again. We thought it was worth every penny!

UPDATE: forgot to mention there was ZERO cell service in our room! Very frustrating since I'm a travel agent and had to do a bit of work while I was there. I ended up sitting out in front of Animation Hall to do it! Frustrating since I couldn't pick up free Internet there. Internet in the room was ok. I us it a lot and my only issue was that it would drop off and I'd have to reconnect. Annoying, but at least I was able to use it.

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR

Last edited by lovingeire; 12-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
MelissathePooh
Disney Regular

We stayed in a Cars suite this past October. Room was great although storage was tight. Theming is fantastic. We didn't have any issues with transportation other than having to wait leaving the parks due to the line of guests.

Biggest issues were:

Cell signal - Could not get a cell signal in the room unless I stood next to the window. Internet was horrific. I have never had issues before or since with my phone or service.

Food Court - is poorly set up with trash/plate return sections next to the doors - blocks 1/2 the doorway. Using real plates and silverware is really disgusting when it comes time to take your plates up - as fast as the CM's were trying to clear things out it was just gross. And the CM cart made the exits even worse. Food court staff was incredibly unfriendly in several areas.

Pool - its cute, but it was COLD and despite the cuteness it was kind of boring. The locked gates and locked bathrooms were a pain. Very easy to get locked out and challenging to keep up with your room key in nothing but your suit - epsecially at the bathroom. It was FREEZING cold in the bathroom/shower area.

The main mug refill area was inside the pool in the corner - not easy access if you walking by and didn't open until 12 or so.

We walked to the edge of LM and decided it was not ever going to make our list - its just a haul.

Its definitely cute and nice and new, but just Disney's way of charging more for a value resort.

I will say this - the key pad on the door fell off as we entered the room for the first time. It snapped back into place easily. I didn't think much of that until we went to get into our room at VWL a few weekends ago and the same thing happened. I don't think the keypads are particularly sturdy in general.

While Eeyore frets and Piglet hesitates and Rabbit calculates and Owl pontificates, Pooh just is.
MelissathePooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

I've heard both sides of the distance debate, and I think your feelings will depend on the type of group you're going with. People with strollers, or young kids complained the walk to LM rooms was too long. Older groups and adults said the walk was fine, and scenic. All in all, I've heard its somewhere between five and ten minutes from Animation Hall to the LM rooms depending on how fast you walk.

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

This was our first stay at a value and overall, I thought it was fine. Would we stay here again? Maybe. The suite was a bit smaller than I expected - I had to keep reminding myself that it is a value resort.

I didn't like the fact that there were no towels at the pool. And when you call for more towels in your room, it can take hours for those towels to be delivered.

I am slightly OCD and the real plates and silverware in the food court grossed me out. We would ask for extra plates so that we could split meals and more than once, we were handed a dirty plate. It also seemed like every time I picked up silverware, something would be dirty.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
DisneyFlower
Earning My Ears

We LOVED this resort. We were there in October for a short trip and it is by far our favorite value resort. Took a stroll over to POP while I was there and was so glad I was staying at AoA - everything's new, there is extreme detail all over the place that I so appreciated, loved the food options at the food court, the pools, atmosphere! One night we went over to the Lion King section for the movie of the night and that was nice, too!
We have stayed at values, moderates, and deluxes. Since we are a family of 6, we've gotten 2 rooms elsewhere in the past and now not sure what we'll do on our next trip - trying to decide between 2 rooms at POFQ (our family sentimental favorite) or AoA again. We really liked it!
I didn't do a trip report on the boards, but I did write it up with lots of pictures on my blog. The link to it is right below you can view it if you want to - for more detailed info about what we experienced at AoA.

http://www.daydreamsandmoonbeams.blo...ppy-place.html
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
VeronicaB
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy to read some positive reviews of AoA! I think we have decided to stay there on our next trip in September to save a little money and the kids would LOVE the theming! I just hope I can get over the down grade from a mod to a value. I'm just glad I haven't stayed at my "dream" resort yet. LOL I know I couldn't downgrade from a deluxe to a value.

Me (Disney crazed woman) DH (Just along for the ride) DS 6 DD 2
VeronicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a Cars suite and LOVED everything about the resort. Our friends stayed in LM so we made the haul from Cars Bldg 2 to LM Bldg 7 at least 2x per day and we had no issues -- took us about 10 min to cross the whole campus and it is a nice walk along the lake if you chose to go that way. Food court has some flow issues but nothing worse than I saw at ASMo. The theming was great, we had 6 in our suite - my mom, me, MH, DSS8, DS4 and DD3. No issues with space but we did utilize all of the storage space. We even had two single City Mini strollers with us and didn't find it cramped.
We are new DVC members so we probably won't be going back but if the opportunity presented itself, I would stay again.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaB
I'm so happy to read some positive reviews of AoA! I think we have decided to stay there on our next trip in September to save a little money and the kids would LOVE the theming! I just hope I can get over the down grade from a mod to a value. I'm just glad I haven't stayed at my "dream" resort yet. LOL I know I couldn't downgrade from a deluxe to a value.
We have always stayed at a mod and did a split stay doing our last night at POR and we really missed AoA. We loved it. Originally we were going to so a deluxe this trip, but my two year old is obsessed with Cars so we switched to AoA. No regrets here! Of course, not having stayed at our dream resort either this was a quick favorite!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
cristen72
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a LM room in September. I didn't think the walk to the food court was bad at all!

We had our car so we didn't use the buses.

Food at the food court was great but scraping the plates, etc was a pain. It took a while to clean up when we were finished because there was literally a line for the garbage can. I like the idea of using real plates and utensils to cut down on waste but I think they need a better system.

Internet service was crappy but we dealt with it. Didn't use it often enough to really matter.

We would definitely stay here again! DS tried two of the pools and we spent one evening taking tons of pics around the resort.

September 2011 AS Movies 1st trip ever!!

September 2012 AoA 40th bday trip for me!

October 2016 Fingers crossed!
cristen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #29
mike the canuck
DIS Veteran

Here is my video tour of the Cars Wing and Pool
http://youtu.be/bEHo_97ABwc
1990 Offsite (I think?) - 1992 Port Orleans - 1993 Dixie Landings - 1996 All-Star Sports - Nov 1999 Disney Institute - Nov 2001 Offsite (Sheraton Vistana) - June 2006 Grosvenor Resort - Christmas 2007 Regal Sun Resort - Sept 2010 Pop Century - Dec 2012 AOA
mike the canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #30
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFlower View Post
We LOVED this resort. We were there in October for a short trip and it is by far our favorite value resort. Took a stroll over to POP while I was there and was so glad I was staying at AoA - everything's new, there is extreme detail all over the place that I so appreciated, loved the food options at the food court, the pools, atmosphere! One night we went over to the Lion King section for the movie of the night and that was nice, too!
We have stayed at values, moderates, and deluxes. Since we are a family of 6, we've gotten 2 rooms elsewhere in the past and now not sure what we'll do on our next trip - trying to decide between 2 rooms at POFQ (our family sentimental favorite) or AoA again. We really liked it!
I didn't do a trip report on the boards, but I did write it up with lots of pictures on my blog. The link to it is right below you can view it if you want to - for more detailed info about what we experienced at AoA.

http://www.daydreamsandmoonbeams.blo...ppy-place.html
I loved reading your blog. Your pictures are great and your family is just beautiful . Thanks for sharing.

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: