Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

Delta rate drop?

We are 11 days out and have not booked our flight
Right now, Delta from San Antonio costs 516 a person! That just seems really high to me. Is there any chance they will drop the rates closer to the flight date or should I just book? Also, when is it too late to add ME?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
DizneyDogs
Mouseketeer
Scrapbooking Diva

usually rates go up if under 14 days
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi78155 View Post
We are 11 days out and have not booked our flight
Right now, Delta from San Antonio costs 516 a person! That just seems really high to me. Is there any chance they will drop the rates closer to the flight date or should I just book? Also, when is it too late to add ME?
There's always a chance, but you probably had the best shot of getting a lower price a couple of months ago.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

We had to change our dates last minute! It was a nightmare getting my ADRs. We have it all set, so I guess I will just suck it up and pay!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

At this point, prices will only go up has been my experience with Delta (pretty much the only airline I fly).

I'm a fan of the Delta Amex which will give you a decent reward for signing up + free checked bag for everyone in your reservation (up to maybe 6).

Free for the first year...still worth it for me at $75/year when looking at baggage fees alone!

Super easy to sign up when you book flights on delta.com...that is usually where you will see the biggest incentives.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I find Southwest stays low until 7 days out. There's been many times where I've rebooked a flight for a week later to save money. $254 there and $211 returning one week later is what it's showing now.

ME can be added at the airport if you need to. Just make sure you collect your bags at baggage claim then take it to ME area with you. You'll have to deal with hauling them around, but at least you don't have to wait for them to arrive at your room.
They have the reservation system in their computers. All they do is verify that you have a room booked.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

No way in hell would I pay $500/person to fly there. Looks like SA is about a 17 hour drive? I would rent a nice, bigger vehicle and make the drive. Leave early early morning, early evening. Eat dinner, head to bed and wake up to start the day fresh!! Probably drive there/back for less than 1 person to fly..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

We actually have enough SkyMiles and DH has the Delta Amex card. We don't have enough time to drive because the kids are in a school Christmas program. I had everything perfectly planned out and we had to change at the last minute. It has been very stressful trying to redo it all.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Airline prices go up the closer you get to flight date. Buy ASAP.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
taitai
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi78155 View Post
We actually have enough SkyMiles and DH has the Delta Amex card. We don't have enough time to drive because the kids are in a school Christmas program. I had everything perfectly planned out and we had to change at the last minute. It has been very stressful trying to redo it all.
Are you trying to use SkyMiles or pay for the flights? Do you know if there is availability using miles and how many each ticket would require? Guessing around 40K/ticket but you might get lucky and find a 25K ticket. Probably not 5, though.

I would buy now. They will not drop. You also run the risk of not getting enough seats on the flight. Delta assigns seats at purchase so trying to get your whole family together could be a mess as well.

Good luck!
taitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

We booked them! Thanks for all the feedback. Whew! Now I can start packing. This is so not like me to have "loose strings" this close to a trip. DH is so laid back about it all, but I do all the planning.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitai View Post
Are you trying to use SkyMiles or pay for the flights? Do you know if there is availability using miles and how many each ticket would require? Guessing around 40K/ticket but you might get lucky and find a 25K ticket. Probably not 5, though.
Delta is infamous for not having FF tickets available. I would say there is a zero to none chance to get a 25,000 mile ticket 11 days out and in fact, probably little chance of finding any FF availability.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Cool! Have a great trip!

I also love with the Delta Amex that you can 'buy down' the price of the tickets with Skymiles. You don't have to have the full # of miles, which can save you some $$.

Tip: Pick up and pack a couple of $1 tubes of night sticks/bracelets (10 in each tube) from Michaels/etc. They are fun at night and you will have enough for your kids to share with others when they're waiting on evening parade/traveling at night!
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
Cool! Have a great trip!

I also love with the Delta Amex that you can 'buy down' the price of the tickets with Skymiles. You don't have to have the full # of miles, which can save you some $$.

Tip: Pick up and pack a couple of $1 tubes of night sticks/bracelets (10 in each tube) from Michaels/etc. They are fun at night and you will have enough for your kids to share with others when they're waiting on evening parade/traveling at night!
This is what we did! Thanks for the glow stick tip, we will be sure to pick some up!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
teCh0010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Delta is infamous for not having FF tickets available. I would say there is a zero to none chance to get a 25,000 mile ticket 11 days out and in fact, probably little chance of finding any FF availability.
You can almost always find domestic availability, it just may not be at a price in miles that you want to pay (not 25k).
teCh0010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: