Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
KLAIT
DIS Veteran

Gift help kindle or nook?

I am going to buy my dad.an ereader for Christmas. He is not tech savvy at all, but my son can help him out if necessary. He loves to read.

Looking at a nook color or plain kindle. Have no experience with either.

Which would you buy him and why?
KLAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

For people who don't care for technology, you best bet is to go with the plain Kindle.

The Nook Color has a backlit screen so reading on it is going to be like reading a computer monitor.

The original-type Kindle is "e-ink" and it is very much like reading a book--in fact, it's better. The screen as no glare and the fonts and the way it looks while you read are very much like a book. I am in my 40s and now require glasses just to read. Even with that, I have a hard time with some books based on the font and paper that they use and I definitely have problems with magazines. I even have issues reading some things on my iPhone. I never have a problem with my Kindle. It is such a pleasure to read on. I adjsut the fonts to the size I want and there is no "computer monitor" feel to it at all.

I would recommend getting him a booklight to go with it.

I bought my 74 year old dad a Kindle in August and he loves it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
shells4
Mouseketeer

I recieved a Nook color for a gift and LOVE IT. I don't know anything about the Kindle, but I'm sure it is wonderful as well. My nook is easy to use (I am computer challenged at times) and I really like the fact that it lights up. You can adjust the brightness so you don't feel like you are reading a computer screen. I don't have the best vision anymore and frequently read on the porch in the evening or at night in bed and don't want to disturb my husband, the light is perfect. I don't like paying high prices for books so I download books from the library. It was simple to do once I watched a tutorial on the internet. I am going to get my mom one for her birthday also. I was very resistant at first because I liked traditional books, but now that I have one I love it, I am sure your dad will as well.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
bellarella
DIS Veteran

These are two entirely different products and not comparable.

If you are looking for a book alternative, I would get the regular kindle or the regular nook. I really think it is a toss up there and would say pick on whether you think he'd like to buy books through Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

If your are looking for a tablet alternative, I would definitely get the Kindle Fire, and not the Nook Color. The Fire leaped ahead of the Nook color and developers are much more interested in developing for the Amazon platform, so it won't become an expensive paperweight as quickly.
bellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
keri125
Mouseketeer

I have not experienced the Nook, but do have a regular Kindle and I LOVE it! I was very much against the idea of an e-reader in the beginning; thought nothing could replace the feel and smell of a book. Then my dad bought me a Kindle and because I didn't want to hurt his feelings I started using it. Took me all of a couple of days before I was hooked!! My one suggestion is this: if you do get him a Kindle, make sure you buy a cover for it as well. I got a cheap $20 cover but it opens like a book, and for some reason I really like that! (Oh, the other thing I liked about the first Kindle is that you don't have to have a wireless router to buy books.) Good luck! I think this is a great dilemma to have, as I honestly don't think there is a wrong choice!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Since he is not technologically inclined I would go with the Nook. That way he can head in to Barnes and Noble and get assistance for it whenever he needs/wants. I may also suggest getting the Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light rather than the Color. Its only use is reading but that is probably all he would use it for.
I have the Color and love it but for only reading I would go with the basic model.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 12-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Since he is not technologically inclined I would go with the Nook. That way he can head in to Barnes and Noble and get assistance for it whenever he needs/wants. I may also suggest getting the Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light rather than the Color. It's only use is reading but that is probably all he would use it for.
I have the Color and love it but for only reading I would go with the basic model.
I agree. I bought Nooks for my nieces and they's been great. I've also found that in my area its easier to buy Barnes & Noble gift cards locally than it is to find ones from Amazon. I know I can order the Amazon ones on-line, but I drive right by Barnes & Noble every day and its easy to go in a grab a gift card when I want/need one for a gift.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: