Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #76
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Government Employee, so no.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #77
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

I am a manager for a fast food company. We get monthly bonuses based on a number of things. The company holds back 20% of each bonus and gives it back to us for Christmas. So, I suppose my answer would be yes. Sort of..
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #78
timmac
DIS Veteran

For me, there's an annual bonus each year (paid in late January for performance over the previous year). It's based on a percentage of salary, and is rather substantial.

For the actual holidays, typically in December we are given a non-cash gift (~$400 value) and the company pays taxes on it as well.

One thing this thread is making me think about, is there a difference between a holiday bonus, an annual bonus, and an end of year bonus? I'm thinking a holiday bonus is something very different from the other two. In my mind at least, annual bonuses are typically something that are spelled out in writing right alongside salary and benefits, whereas a true "holiday" bonus is something that is extra, above and beyond any contractual obligations. I realize the net-net of it might be all the same to the recipient, but at the same time I know I've heard of cases where an annual bonus that is part of compensation is sometimes masqueraded as a "holiday bonus" as though it's some kind of gift. I'd feel a bit annoyed by that.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
jrnunzio3
DIS Veteran

Just received my letter today letting me know that I will receive $1,500 pre-tax in my pay next week.

I work in insurance. Last year was a little more, the year before that was a little less.

I only work part time, so this is a great little addition. Next week once I receive it, I am taking it out of the checking account and putting it into a CD for my trip to Disney next year.
jrnunzio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #80
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy2803 View Post
I am a manager for a fast food company. We get monthly bonuses based on a number of things. The company holds back 20% of each bonus and gives it back to us for Christmas. So, I suppose my answer would be yes. Sort of..
LOL, how nice of them to save up YOUR money for you and give it to you later.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #81
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

I got an annual bonus in Oct. based on profits and DH will (hopefully) get one in Feb. also based on profits, not holiday related at all. My Christmas lunch was today (no booze), DH's will be Friday night, lots of booze
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #82
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

I'm a SAHM, DH works for a large oil company. No Holiday bonus. They do get a bonus in February, based on company earnings. Typically, its large. For the holidays they host a concert for the families. This year its Restless Heart. No booze, cookies and punch, Santa. Its very nice. Its tomorrow night!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #83
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGeer View Post
I work at a public library, no bonuses. We do a potluck though.
what is a "potluck"?

we're in the uk, and neither me nor dh, nor the majority of people we know receive any bonus payments, anytime of year.
we consider ourselves lucky to be employed.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #84
rockawaybeachgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
For me, there's an annual bonus each year (paid in late January for performance over the previous year). It's based on a percentage of salary, and is rather substantial.

For the actual holidays, typically in December we are given a non-cash gift (~$400 value) and the company pays taxes on it as well.

One thing this thread is making me think about, is there a difference between a holiday bonus, an annual bonus, and an end of year bonus? I'm thinking a holiday bonus is something very different from the other two. In my mind at least, annual bonuses are typically something that are spelled out in writing right alongside salary and benefits, whereas a true "holiday" bonus is something that is extra, above and beyond any contractual obligations. I realize the net-net of it might be all the same to the recipient, but at the same time I know I've heard of cases where an annual bonus that is part of compensation is sometimes masqueraded as a "holiday bonus" as though it's some kind of gift. I'd feel a bit annoyed by that.
I agree that there is a difference, and mine is definitely an 'annual bonus', based on performance and the results for the year. However, just to clarify, it is not contractual. They completely have the option to give us nothing at all.

Speaking of above and beyond, the week after Hurricane Sandy, my company gave anyone who lived in a Sandy-affected area who was displaced $2500. I thought that was pretty generous! I think about 250 people were given it.
rockawaybeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #85
sunshine1178
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post

My DH does not get a bonus. His company throws a holiday party, but this year and last year, it was over an hour away to get to it, so we skipped it. Previous years, they had a lunch during a work day, but since my DH is on the technical end, he is always out in the field so has never been able to participate in the lunch. Basically, I think his company has these parties for the "front office staff"- you know, the folks who make the big bucks...
Bolding mine.

I resent the implication that front-office employees are overpaid and thoughtless.

At my company, our "field employees" are union personnel, and based on the rates that the newspaper published during their last strike, each of them makes 3x per hour what I do, plus we pay their health insurance and pension contribution.

Regardless, I organized the holiday party that they were all invited to, and I will organize the Christmas luncheon for them on the 21st.

No, I am not expecting a holiday bonus. My boss did re-gift me a Honeybaked Ham certificate, though.
sunshine1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #86
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
what is a "potluck"?

we're in the uk, and neither me nor dh, nor the majority of people we know receive any bonus payments, anytime of year.
we consider ourselves lucky to be employed.

Everyone attending the party brings a dish of something they enjoy. A "true" potluck has no sign up sheets and it truly is luck if everyone brings something different. In most office parties, though, there is a sign-up sheet so that the party organizers know that not everyone is bringing pie.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #87
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
Everyone attending the party brings a dish of something they enjoy. A "true" potluck has no sign up sheets and it truly is luck if everyone brings something different. In most office parties, though, there is a sign-up sheet so that the party organizers know that not everyone is bringing pie.
oh, i see.thanks.
but not with any assistance from employer though?

scrooge seems as though he's hard at work at some places, and others have amazing holiday cheer, if only life was equal and balanced!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #88
AndyLL
DIS Veteran

No bonus here at our FORTUNE 500 software company but it was just announced that our private venture capitalist owner group is going to borrow a quarter of a billion dollars and pay it out in dividends to themselves.

Makes that 1.43% raise we've recieved over the last 2 years worthwhile.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #89
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
LOL, how nice of them to save up YOUR money for you and give it to you later.
Yea, that's how we see it also.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #90
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post

At my company the "annual" bonus and "holiday" bonus are one and the same. Our fiscal year ends June 30th, by the time the numbers are crunched and they know if they will pay a bonus (and if so how much) it's August. Rather than pay it in August or September, they wait and give it to us the first week or two of December. But they let us know in August what the bonus (if any) will be so we can plan our holiday spending accordingly (No Griswald "Jelly of the Month Club" situtation for us! ).

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: