Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by topolino View Post
If so, what sector do you work in?

I do not, and I work in education. My wife does, and she works in the medical field. Her bonus is about $2,000.
Dental.
Mine is about the same as your DW, it's not based on performance and is considered a Christmas present by my boss.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
Our bonus is a gift card for our store (which helps alot around the holidays), and a big office party (the food is good!). I work in corporate for a supermarket company.
DH's company has a very fancy Christmas party with cocktails, a full dinner and dancing (gowns are optional) and they also give a Thanksgiving gift (this year was a Harry and David's basket). At Christmas we usually get a 5 lb Nueske ham.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Not only do I not get a Christmas bonus, but I have to work on Christmas as well, and we don't get holiday pay!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #34
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane
Not only do I not get a Christmas bonus, but I have to work on Christmas as well, and we don't get holiday pay!
This would be our situation as well.

Also, no holiday party, cookie tray , etc.

We also don't get a bonus any other time of year.

I am turning green reading this thread! LOL
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I am a nurse, I will be working on Christmas (so I can have Christmas Eve off) and I also worked on Thanksgiving. Our hospital does a free cafeteria dinner party thing, but it is in the afternoon and I work night shift. No one cares about the night shift. BUt the patients do, I can assure you they care about us! That is what really matters.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #36
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We sometimes get bonuses in June, sometimes at year end. It's pretty random though. We've gotten big bonuses in bad years, and nothing at all in record years. We're coming off the 3 best months in company history and looking like a HUGE amount of growth in 2013. So, it's pretty much assumed there'll be a nice bonus this year & pretty much assumed the attitude around the office will be VERY sour come January if it doesn't happen
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #37
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I did last year for the first time. We were all shocked and pleasantly surprised! I work for a church, as a preschool teacher. My director handed us all a check, explaining the bonus, and of course, asked us to open it confidentially (as some received more than others based on seniority/job title). I was floored when I opened it. FLOORED. (I expected $25 or something when I opened it- it was quite a bit more than that!)

My DH does not get a bonus. His company throws a holiday party, but this year and last year, it was over an hour away to get to it, so we skipped it. Previous years, they had a lunch during a work day, but since my DH is on the technical end, he is always out in the field so has never been able to participate in the lunch. Basically, I think his company has these parties for the "front office staff"- you know, the folks who make the big bucks...
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
rockawaybeachgirl
Mouseketeer

Our annual bonus (usually around 15-25% of our salary) is paid in October, so nothing monetary at Christmas. However, the company closes down the week between Christmas and New Years ( everyone is fully paid). We also have very nice holiday parties with food and open bar.

I work for a Big 4 public accounting firm.
rockawaybeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #39
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I am an RN and I will be getting a turkey for my holiday bonus/gift . I guess it is better than nothing . My husband started a new job earlier in the year and we don't know if he gets a bonus of any kind yet (he is an engineer). I hope so .
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

My company pays us our bonuses in March. It's based on profits, our performance evaluations, and other factors from the prior year. Usually about 10 to 12% of annual salary. It's considered taxable income so of course the take home amount is less.

I work in the retail business, but at the administrative level, not store operations.

My wife co-owns a house cleaning business. No official bonus, but some clients give her a Christmas gift or tip.

Jim
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #41
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

I'm a casual teacher and I don't get a bonus, not even a gift from students, plus I'm not allowed to attend the school's staff Christmas parties as I'm not permanent.

DH works for a utility company and last year they all got a mug or water bottle or something like that. Their Christmas parties are usually held mid-week when all of the field staff are out of town on jobs so it's usually only the office workers who get to go. No spouses or family members are invited; it's staff only.

When I was younger and worked for a major hardware chain in their head office we had a big Christmas party (we had to pay our own ticket plus for a partner if we chose to bring one), plus we got a great gift. Only senior management ever got cash bonuses if the company made certain sales targets or whatever. The company also used to put on barbecues on some Fridays after work for us or order in pizzas and beer. After stocktake, where we all had to work into the night, all meals and drinks were provided, as were cabs if we worked really late and was too tired to drive. I miss that company.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #42
low-key
DIS Veteran

nooooo
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #43
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

They were very common in TV until about 25 years ago. Disappeared then, usually a week's pay.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #44
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

I work for a church. The pastor takes us out to a community concert (pays our "suggested donation") and then out to lunch. That's as bonus as we get.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #45
Help, Please!
Mouseketeer

I'm a teacher. No bonus here. I guess the only "bonus" I get is using my measly salary to buy gifts for students whom I know won't be getting things over the holidays.
Help, Please! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: