Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

If we get a bonus it is paid out in March for the previous year. It percentage of the bonus is based on a lot of different factors many which are out of the average persons control. If we get a bonus it can be as much as 20% and I am happy for every cent. Some years is less than others. Oh, I work in the corporate HQ for a manufacturing company.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

A months salary at Christmas and a months salary in June as well for the summer holidays

Logistics and Tourism

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

We have profit sharing - but the check doesn't come until beginning of March.

DH's company (very small one) is hit or miss with bonuses. The years he gets one, it's about $1500 and then the owner throws in 10% of salaries to a Roth for everyone. Not bad!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Zerosinthecloset
DIS Veteran

My wife manages a large medical practice, and her "holiday" bonus is usually $7000 - $8000.
Zerosinthecloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

At my first job, secretary to Chairman of the Board of a travel agency, we each got $100 for each year we had worked there. I had been there for six months, so I got $50, $35 after taxes. DH and I were thrilled - it was a car payment! (BTW, this was in 1965!)

In one of my assignments with the State Department, I worked for a manager who was very conscientious about rewarding what he considered exceptional performance, and it seemed like EPAs came around every six months, in May and November. I worked for him for three years, got a total of about $20,000 in "bonuses" and a full-grade promotion in a career service with very little head room. Needless to say, I LOVED that man! Too bad we were both re-assigned.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I'm an RN. In 35 years I have never gotten any kind of bonus. But my current employer does spring for dinner at a nice restaurant during the Christmas season.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

We get nothing.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

We get a bonus twice a year in April and October, it can range anywhere between 10 and 20% of our salary. The October bonus is always the higher of the two. The office hourly girls get an actual Christmas bonus which is two percent of their gross for the year. I work for a medium manufacturing company.
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
kaligal
DIS Veteran

No bonuses. They used to do parties, but it ended some years back.

The nicer managers will buy deli trays and/or pizza for the staff. About half the staff then complains that they haven't been given enough, so about half the managers stopped doing it.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

Our bonus is a gift card for our store (which helps alot around the holidays), and a big office party (the food is good!). I work in corporate for a supermarket company.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I've worked in several different fields, including education, archives/library, retail, a large and wealthy church, event planning. In my 30 years of paid full-time employment, the only time I've ever gotten a holiday bonus was when I worked retail.

The rule for that bonus was that you got $25 for every year you'd worked there, up to $100. The owners of that store really felt like they were sooooo generous with that bonus. LOL One year I couldn't make it to their holiday party and I got a lecture about how I owed them an appearance at their party to "pay them back" for my bonus of $50 (which didn't amount to much after taxes).

Oops... the church did give me a Christmas bonus. I don't know how I almost forgot their extraordinary munificence -- they gave me a paid HALF day off for Christmas if it landed on a weekday.

My dh has never gotten a holiday bonus. He's worked in education and museums his entire career.

My mother was a nurse. No bonuses for her entire career. My father used to get bonuses back in the day (1960s-70s) when he was a mechanic and plumber working for someone else. We pretty much lived paycheck to paycheck and I can remember my parents expecting and relying on the bonus to "pay for" Christmas. It was always a source of anxiety for me because the bonus was never given until Christmas Eve and I was always worried our Christmas presents would have to be returned to the store.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I work in entertainment and never have received a bonus.

My first ever entertainment job for a bigger corporate company (having moved on from the mom and pop where I got my start) was SUCH a tease. I started there Dec. 13th, they handed out bonus checks to EVERYONE the following week; I didn't expect to get one, nor did I receive one.

I did, however, get assigned the task to hand out the bonus checks. My new boss thought it would be a great way to allow me to introduce myself and everyone would have good thoughts about me since I was handing them loads of money in a cute little white envelope. All the time I was handing them out, I was thinking, "Do a good job and next year YOU might get one of these!"

Yeah, they stopped them the following year.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #28
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I think the biggest bonus I ever received was $500, which was about 1/2 that after the taxes were taken out. Dh does not get cash bonuses from his bank but they do give an annual contribution to the retirement account.

I'm jealous though because neither of us has ever seen anything close to approaching 28, much less 10% of our salaries!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Dax
Kind hearted lady who started the DIS Support Group!
Loved by Pugs
Jadzia or Ezri?

I work for the airport...I get a $150 bonus....DH works for Publix, gets 2 weeks salary...Next year its 3...
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'm in management in a manufacturing company. My holiday bonus this year will be 44% of my annual base salary. Some years it's a higher percentage; some years its zero. It is based on many factors. I also receive a bonus mid-way through the year but it's much smaller and is based on production volume. Salaried employees here work an amazing amount of hours and our bonuses are a way to say thank you for the hard work.

All hourly paid employees within the company get generous cash bonuses and several goodies worth hundreds of dollars (all handed out at the holiday party). Theirs are not based on profit, volume, anything like that. Even on the years the company loses money, all hourly employees get their bonuses and gifts. I'm sure it's one of the reasons that most employees work their entire career for this company. Certainly, no one every resigns in December.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: