Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Most towns have what they call a BLight Officer.
Check & see if your town has one.
If so, and you think it's that bad, give the Blight Officer a call and let him/her handle it if it meets the designation for "blight".
Otherwise, I'm afraid to say you're just stuck with sloppy neighbors.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

No, I would not ask the neighbors to clean up their yard.

Your yard, your business.

Neighbor's yard, not your business.

If you don't like looking at rotting pumpkins, overgrown lawn, whatever, then put up a fence between your yard and theirs.

Last edited by MIGrandma; 12-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
MIGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
brockash
DIS Veteran

Lol, ummm not unless I was looking to get chewed out?!?!?!

I'm sure it sucks having to live next to ppl. that don't take care of their house, however unless they're violating some kind of city ordinance (pretty sure there's not one for leaving rotting pumpkins out) then unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it and it's really not your business.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
We have neighbors who are renting the house next door to us. The owner relocated for her job and is renting it out to friends. When the owner lived there she always kept her lawn mowed and neat looking. She moved out in June and the yard is a mess. The tenants left their pumpkins from Halloween on the front steps until they turned black....in fact I think they are still there. The lawn isn't an issue now since it's December but the rotten pumpkins are disgusting! I just want to knock on the door and ask them to take care of it.

The girl who owns the house is the 2nd owner. We are still very good friends with the original owner of the house and have told her not to come over because they would be heartbroken to see their house and yard in the shape that it's in.
I never have and I never would. Their yard is their business. Plant some tall shrubs so you don't have to look at them. Rose of Sharon are fast growing.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I had to call the ordinence officer on my neighbors. They have tons of junk and toys in their back yard. Plus, pallets stacked up. They told me that they though rats were living under their deck. I put poison and traps out inbetween our houses. My dogs would try and eat through the fence to get them. My dogs did catch one in our back yard. Yuck.

I had enough. I placed a call on the tip line. I left a message about wood being piled up, finding rat feces next to my trash cans and seeing rat trails leading into their yard.The officer was out in about an hour later. Neighbor had to clean yard. All wood had to be a foot off the ground etc...

The neighbor on the other side of them got a warning for putting out peanuts for squirrels because it also attracts rats.

It was taken care of in a few days.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
You must live right next to our neighbor! We are facing the exact same issue -- even down to the pumpkins on the front steps. It absolutely sickens me that someone can let their yard go (whether they're renting or not), especially when we try so hard to make our yard beautiful. Their yard is all weeds now and they don't mow it, they have crap all over, etc. I told my husband that next year if they do not care for their yard, I will say something to them.

If I were you, I would probably ask them to dispose of their pumpkins if you are comfortable doing so. I would do it myself when they're not home otherwise. I will be disposing of my neighbor's pumpkins pretty soon here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Wow, that crosses all kinds of boundaries. ad

So because their pumpkins bother *you*, they should get rid of them? Unless you're the one paying the mortgage or rent, you have absolutely no business coming onto that is not yours and throwing things away ~ even rotten pumpkins.
I have to agree that crosses all sorts of boundaries. Squishy, if I found out you came onto my property and threw my property out, even rotting pumpkins, I would be calling the cops and pressing charges for trespassing and theft.

And yes I know that our law enforcement has bigger fish to fry and throwing out pumpkins is a trivial matter. However, if a neighbor was crossing boundaries like this and had the audacity to think it ok to go onto somebody's property and throw things away, I would need to make a strong statement to mind their own business.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 12-03-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Where are all the people who say HOA's are evil and don't do anything? Isn't this a prime example of where a HOA would be handy?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #23
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Where are all the people who say HOA's are evil and don't do anything? Isn't this a prime example of where a HOA would be handy?
I'm one of those people. I'd still take rotting pumpkins over being told what color I can paint my front door.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
I had to call the ordinence officer on my neighbors. They have tons of junk and toys in their back yard. Plus, pallets stacked up. They told me that they though rats were living under their deck. I put poison and traps out inbetween our houses. My dogs would try and eat through the fence to get them. My dogs did catch one in our back yard. Yuck.

I had enough. I placed a call on the tip line. I left a message about wood being piled up, finding rat feces next to my trash cans and seeing rat trails leading into their yard.The officer was out in about an hour later. Neighbor had to clean yard. All wood had to be a foot off the ground etc...

The neighbor on the other side of them got a warning for putting out peanuts for squirrels because it also attracts rats.

It was taken care of in a few days.
What you describe is a health hazard.

A couple of rotting pumpkins and an unkempt yard is entirely different.

MYOB OP.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
For what?

If you have a HOA, turn them in. If not, I don't think there's anything you can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
Most towns have what they call a BLight Officer.
Check & see if your town has one.
If so, and you think it's that bad, give the Blight Officer a call and let him/her handle it if it meets the designation for "blight".
This is why, sam_gordon. If your city has standards, you can turn them in to the city, and the city will then force them to deal with it.

It's much like our city (Phoenix) has a graffiti help line... if you spot graffiti, call the line and the city will have it painted over in days.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
Peanut Giggleface
Embarrassing my children... just another service I provide.

I agree with everyone else, MYOB about their yard.

The only time I had to go to my neighbor was when the wind blew over my neighbor's recycling bins and her trash was all over MY yard. This had happened several times and I was tired of picking it up. I finally went over and asked her to do it. I think that would be the only time it is acceptable to talk to your neighbor about yard debris.
Peanut Giggleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I can call 311 in the city I live in to report any bylaw infractions. I have called numerous times to report long weeds, excess garbage in yards, and if they don't shovel snow on their sidewalks. IMO, I pay good money for my house and I don't want lazy neighbors lower my property values. I do give my neighbors time to clean their junk up before I report them, but if it is still there after 4 months, time for it to go.

My closest neighbor is really nice, but very lazy. When he does finally cut his grass, he stacks the bagged clippings between our houses. But he doesn't do anything else with then. At the end of this summer there was about 10 garbage bags of clippings there. When he went on vacation I put them out with his trash pickup because I was tired of looking at them.

I just can't believe how lazy some people are. It doesn't take hardly any wok to look after your yard.
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I'm one of those people. I'd still take rotting pumpkins over being told what color I can paint my front door.
Ditto!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #29
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Can you contact the owner? Since the renters are doing nothing to care for the lawn, the owner should send someone on regular schedule to at least mow.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Excessively long grass, I would say something. Pumpkins on the porch, I would not.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: