Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Lyn-CA
DIS Veteran
 
Lyn-CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 560

DME to MCO from other resort

DH is planning on taking DME to the airport to pick up a rental car.

We are staying at AoA but the night he is picking up the car, we are having dinner at the Boardwalk. Would it be possible for him to take DME from the Boardwalk so he can save a trip from Boardwalk to AoA?

We are renting from the airport because we are using a free voucher that only allows same pick up and drop off location.

TIA
__________________
AFTER DISCOVERING TRUE DISNEY MAGIC:
AoA/Wyndham Bonnet Creek 1/13*POR/CBR/Swan/Contemporary 12/07*Disneyland Grand Californian b-day trip 9/06*Disneyland Hotel b-day trip 9/04*AKL 8/03*Disneyland 12/02*Beach Club & Magic 5/00* Disneyland b-day trip 9/99*Sports & WL 9/98
BEFORE DISCOVERING TRUE DISNEY MAGIC:
Disneyland 12/89*Disneyland 7/86
Lyn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,927

No, sorry. DME will only take you to/from the resort at which you are booked. Only way for them to track how many buses they need, when you think about it.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,415

No.

1. To avoid a deluge of guests wanting to leave from resorts such as the Contemporary near the theme parks, and the resulting queues at Bell Services to drop off and pick up carryons.

2. To avoid he said she said disputes over where was I supposed to be picked up to go home, together with possible errors during later guest requested reschedulings.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/magicx.htm
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran
 
arthuruscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 576

Unfortunately disney has never updated the DME system to allow for pick up or drop off other then at your hotel. It is a carry over from the old computer system.
I wish they would allow you to be picked up or dropped off anywhere on property.
__________________
DEC 2012 FW
MAY 2012 POFQ, OCT 2011 AKL KV, OCT 2010 ALM
Memory Issues
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #5
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Unfortunately disney has never updated the DME system to allow for pick up or drop off other then at your hotel. It is a carry over from the old computer system.
I wish they would allow you to be picked up or dropped off anywhere on property.
That'll never happen. Every one would want to be pickd up from the resort nearest to whatever park they are going to that last day. AKL, BW, BC, and Contemporary would be packed with people trying to get on a DME bus back to the airport. Why would anyone even bother going back to their resort to catch a DME bus. There'd be no pickups at the other resorts. The people actually staying at resorts close to a park wouldn't even have a chance though. Their stop would be mobbed.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,415

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Unfortunately disney has never updated the DME system to allow for pick up or drop off other then at your hotel. It is a carry over from the old computer system.
I wish they would allow you to be picked up or dropped off anywhere on property.
Could I ask why you think this policy has any relation to "the [reservation/scheduling/?] system"?
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

I would say that particular answer notes a person who has little experience or understanding of the logistics of transporting large amounts of people from point A to point B. I have been wanting to respond to that post for an entire day.

While some people may think so, a new computer update does not suddenly produce some new result in a lot of circumstances. IMHO, opening up a choice of resorts on ME would be an utter nightmare, which no computer system could overcome. Can you imagine everyone requesting to be dropped off at CR and then expecting to pick up their KTTW cards and check in at that resort and getting right over to MK. OMG.
__________________
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,466

Absolutely no reason why Disney couldn't schedule DME bus service from theme parks directly to MCO. Absolutely no reason why Disney couldn't allow guests to take DME buses from resorts near parks to MCO. DME requires a reservation. The people staying at resorts like the Contemporary wouldn't have problems. Disney would need to schedule more buses. Maybe those resorts would wind up with N/S DME buses, maybe very 15 minutes instead of every 30. We're over thinking this. Disney doesn't want to do it. That simple.

Guest who want a different drop off/pick up location should nicely ask. Enough guests ask Disney might change policy.

Missytara--The old computer system didn't allow for the issuance of hotel key cards at remote locations. Disney had originally suggested DME guests might, in the future, be able to check into their resort at MCO, get their KTTW at MCO and then proceed directly to a theme park. New computer system has been in place for years. Seems like Disney decided against this change. The number of passengers bringing checked luggage and large carryon bags on (and under) the DME bus is one reason why this idea might have more issues then it's worth. Yes, large lockers could be put at the theme park entrance but resort buses aren't designed to handle luggage.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Actually your post takes me to back to my original post about logistics.

Picture several years ago, when ME was created. A group of executives sitting around a conference room table, envisioning the future of Universal. I believe a lot of the reason ME was created was to keep people from going off-site and keeping all their dollars at Disney.

Over the years, many factors have come into play. Anything from the HP attraction at Universal to the economy causing people to drive to Disney more, rental car places offering deals to compete, flying into other airports to save money, the car train,etc.

That same group is sitting around that conference room table deciding is it worth dumping tons of money into transferring check-in to MCO if fewer people are going through there, adding large lockers to each parks for luggage, etc.

It is more profitable to focus finances on DVC and attractions, which has been proven in the last two years. Just another way of thinking outside of the box. Just because they invested in a computer program years ago, that has most likely been outdated for years, does not mean it makes sense to focus thei efforts towards it.
__________________
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,456
DISboards Moderator

Could it happen? Sure. But they could just make p/u from the parks, not other resorts. What you do with your carryon bags is your issue, not WDWs. They could an hourly bus back to MCO, from each park. You would reserve your seat, just as usual.
I doubt it will happen. There are just too many variables. Those that travel with carryon bags only wouldn't be able to do this easily. Unless Disney allows them to leave their bags with other resort Bell Services. Then, they are going to have to allow larger carryon bags on the regular resort to park buses. That shouldn't be allowed to happen. Just too many variables.

Some things are just not easily changed to accommodate every single desire.
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 7,013

There are lots of rental car options at or near Disney. For example Alamo has two location at Disney.
Avis & Dollar are located at hotels within a 10 minute walk from DTD. Avis is at the Hilton and Dollar is at the Wyndham. You could rent and return to the same location and just use the DME to return to the airport for your flight.
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
That same group is sitting around that conference room table deciding is it worth dumping tons of money into transferring check-in to MCO if fewer people are going through there, adding large lockers to each parks for luggage, etc..
I do not want to have to wait behind you at the Magical Express welcoming area to show my baggage claim checks to the CM due to lack of yellow DME tags while you are arguing over why your reservation for a preferred view resort room got lost.

So six or even (expanded to if space permits) twenty CMs and computer stations at the welcoming area at MCO can never do the work of 200 odd desk clerks and computer stations at the various resorts.

(Or they can have separate queues and separate groups of agents at the welcoming area for bus check in only and resort check in where CMs are never taken off of the first queue if there are guests waiting, in order to expedite the second queue.)

By the way I do not think any changes are absolutely positively needed in the computer system to allow DME pickups at parks and at a resort other than yours. Some niceties can be done manually, for example verifying that you are indeed a Disney's resort guest, and getting your confirmation sheet on the morning of the day before your checkout day.
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 12-02-2012 at 08:13 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Absolutely no reason why Disney couldn't schedule DME bus service from theme parks directly to MCO. Absolutely no reason why Disney couldn't allow guests to take DME buses from resorts near parks to MCO. DME requires a reservation. The people staying at resorts like the Contemporary wouldn't have problems. Disney would need to schedule more buses. Maybe those resorts would wind up with N/S DME buses, maybe very 15 minutes instead of every 30. We're over thinking this. Disney doesn't want to do it. That simple.

Guest who want a different drop off/pick up location should nicely ask. Enough guests ask Disney might change policy.

Missytara--The old computer system didn't allow for the issuance of hotel key cards at remote locations. Disney had originally suggested DME guests might, in the future, be able to check into their resort at MCO, get their KTTW at MCO and then proceed directly to a theme park. New computer system has been in place for years. Seems like Disney decided against this change. The number of passengers bringing checked luggage and large carryon bags on (and under) the DME bus is one reason why this idea might have more issues then it's worth. Yes, large lockers could be put at the theme park entrance but resort buses aren't designed to handle luggage.
So first you say there's no reason Disney can't do this, then you list a reason they can't do this.
__________________
Freedom W. Caribbean June 15 - June 22, 2014 Video
Oasis W. Caribbean June 8 - June 15, 2014 Review
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So first you say there's no reason Disney can't do this, then you list a reason they can't do this.
I said there isn't any reason (logistical) why Disney can't do it. Comments about too many guests taking DME bus from resorts near theme parks aren't valid. Disney could schedule enough buses to accommodate guests with reservations.

I said there are some reasons why Disney might not want to do it. How to handle luggage is an issue. Do you tell guests with carry on bags they have to go to their resort first? Do you supply lockers? Do you ship their roller bags to their resort?

seashoreCM I don't think there is currently a computer issue. At one time the system wouldn't allow issuance of room keys at remote locations. Remote checkin would have to be "express". Guests who want to change their room assignments would have to do it at their resort.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,456
DISboards Moderator

As I said before...could it be done? Sure. Will it be done?? Only if it benefits Disney in some way. Believe me...Disney did not start DME out of the goodness of their hearts. They didn't do it to make life easier for their guests. It made good business sense to them to do it.
IF, at some point down the road, it makes good business sense for them to allow you to take DME from any park or resort, then it will happen.
__________________
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.