Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #31
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

I am scared of sharks because of Jaws. Although I saw "IT", I am not scared of clowns though.

Anyways, I am very interested in see these clowns when I get there, to see if its just an "ok" thing or really corny.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
chip611
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
I'm not sure comparing fear of clowns to fear of other characters or roller coasters is fair. The percentage of people who have an aversion to clowns is huge compared to the other fears mentioned, just look at the reactions in this thread. When you read a thread about a new meet-n-greet or something, you don't get an overwhelming number of responses saying "Oh my God, I'm absolutely terrified of Brer Rabbit, I will be avoiding this area for sure." But clowns......?

Not sure what Disney was thinking with this one. I'm willing to bet there are more people out there who hate clowns than there are people who like them.
I got curious and did some investigating. According to LiveScience the top 10 fears of Americans are this
10- The Dentist
9- Dogs
8- Flight
7- Thunder & Lightning
6- Dark
5- Heights
4- Other People
3- Scary Spaces
2- Creepy Crawlies
1- Snakes

Clowns... didn't make the list. I'm not saying the fear isn't real. I believe there are people truly afraid of clowns. But I agree with the advice posted above. Find out the times the Giggle Gang performs and visit Storybook Circus during their 'off' times. Simple.

chip611 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Kramer was afraid of clowns.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i'm not terrified of clowns, but i don't like them. i can tolerate them for my kids though. however, i don't take them to the circus!

i blame the movie Poltergeist. i saw that movie as a kid, before i'd heard of the book "It." and while i've ready many books by Stephen King, i have never read "It" (and don't plan to).

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #35
mrsxsparrow
DIS Veteran

The clowns aren't out there just roaming around, and I have yet to see them interact with someone who didn't try to interact with them first. They walk from the fastpass distribution/Pete's Silly Sideshow area to out in front of the merchandise location, put on a little show, and then leave. It may be difficult to avoid seeing them all together, but it's pretty simple to just walk on by and not pay attention to them.

I'm not a fan of clowns either but they put on some cute little shows. Fun and silly and not creepy or scary at all.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

As long as this guy isn't there, I'm all for it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #37
Carol97
Mouseketeer

I just watched a small clip from youtube about this show and it looked so lame! I am so disappointed that they spent so much time and money into something new that just looks like a waste of time and I'm not even a clown hater or scared of them. Am I missing something here? I don't think my kids would stay interested in this at all. And why is Disney putting so much into clowns when it should be about Disney characters?!?! I'd take another Disney character themed parade or meet and greet anyday!

Carol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #38
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Clowns = Evil.

They should only be allowed out with the villiians at the MNSSHP M&G.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

I'm glad to see I'm not alone... My kids don;t like clowns either. I wish they had chosen a more "disney" type theme. Honestly I can't wait for this to be re-renovated again.

sorry for all those that like clowns, but eeeww.

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
blueiis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #40
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
i'm not terrified of clowns, but i don't like them. i can tolerate them for my kids though. however, i don't take them to the circus!

i blame the movie Poltergeist. i saw that movie as a kid, before i'd heard of the book "It." and while i've ready many books by Stephen King, i have never read "It" (and don't plan to).
"It" is an amazing book...second favorite King novel behind "The Stand" and the movie doesn't do it justice although Tim Curry does a fabulous Pennywise.

Back on topic: I can take it or leave it but I have a family member who is grown who will need to know ahead of time. I get the circus theme but I didn't understand why Pete got involved (I think he's creepy).

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #41
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol97 View Post
I just watched a small clip from youtube about this show and it looked so lame! I am so disappointed that they spent so much time and money into something new that just looks like a waste of time and I'm not even a clown hater or scared of them. Am I missing something here? I don't think my kids would stay interested in this at all. And why is Disney putting so much into clowns when it should be about Disney characters?!?! I'd take another Disney character themed parade or meet and greet anyday!
Remember that the show -- like the Streetmosphere groups at DHS -- is largely improvised. A great deal of the success of the show depends on the audience getting into it. Not to mention that most street-type entertainment is much more entertaining in person than on a video. Watch some of the Streetmo videos sometime ... they're terrible! If people only had those videos to go by, no one would stop to watch.

I say, give it a chance in person, and don't walk in there already expecting to hate it. Maybe you'll find that your kids love silly clown humor.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: