Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

Clowns scare the crap out of me, so this won't be good IMO.

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
RayaniFoxmur
Don't try to make me sell any more sausage. I won't do it!
I love not being the only crazy one!

I'm not really sure what Disney is thinking with this. Clowns don't bother me personally but I know way too many people who ARE bothered by clowns in a big way. And I know they will refuse to go back to the area, kind of like how I run past Italy in WS when the mime is out there *shutters*.

1992 - Poly * 1993 - Poly * 2006/2007 - POFQ NYE! Engaged at Epcot! * March 2007 - Poly * September 2007 - AKL * October 2007 - Our Disney Honeymoon! Grand Floridian, Disney Magic, and POFQ! * March 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 to January 2013 - Living across the street! * September 2010 - Offsite * October 2011 - POFQ * September 2015 - AoA
RayaniFoxmur is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Unhappy

~LOL. I'm really surprised by the reaction in this thread, it just cracks me up. I really thought I was among the few that felt this way. I blame Steven King -- that clown in the forest ruined any chance of me ever liking a clown! I wonder if Disney researched the seedy, controversial history of the circus, before choosing to expand on this theme. With that said, I think Storybook Circus is just beautiful, and for the most part, I *think* people will embrace the clowns.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
estherhead
DIS Veteran

I know an awful lot people who are freaked out by characters. That doesn't seem to stop Disney. People are terrified by heights. And small spaces. And crowds. Disney can't possibly cater to phobias. It's an impossible task.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Leona Fishback
Mouseketeer

Wow, there's a lot of deep anti-clown sentiment out there. Clowns don't appeal to me, and I know I could easily scare my husband by adopting any clowniness, but still, seems like clowns have a lot of haters.

Makes sense with the theme and I'd be surprised if Disney didn't do clowns in the least scary way possible.
Leona Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
Mamato3Princes
Adventure is out there!

I have to say, this scares the crap outta me.

Feb 4-9, 2012@CRMKView//Feb 9-14, 2012@BWV! Our sons' 1st trip! May 28-June 1, 2012@POR! Aug 26-29, 2012@OKW! Oct 27-28, 2012@CSR! Dec 7-9, 2012@POR!
Jan 28-Feb 1, 2013@AKV! Mar 9-12, 2014 @POR! Baby girl's 1st trip! Mar 15-19, 2014 @BC! May 19-25, 2014 @KidaniSavView!

Mamato3Princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I hate clowns - the only thing scarier than having them chase me through Fantasyland is seeing one of them slide down the pool slide at the Boardwalk Inn.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

There are kids who are scared of the villains, but no one ever calls for the Villains to be taken out of meet & greets or events.

There are people who are scared to death of drop rides and roller coasters -- no one advocates closing them.

There are people who are afraid of snakes, bats, bugs, and all number of other critters. No one says "close Animal Kingdom".

If you're afraid of clowns, simply check the Giggle Gang's performance schedule and avoid the Storybook Circus area of the park during those times.

See? That wasn't so hard.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayaniFoxmur View Post
And I know they will refuse to go back to the area, kind of like how I run past Italy in WS when the mime is out there *shutters*.
me too!!! If a clown gets near me on our upcoming trip I will probably cry.

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

I am not afraid of clowns, I just find them not amusing at all. I think they are loud and obnoxious and I associate them with cheap carnivals, not high level park like Disney. It is just so .

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #26
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherhead View Post
I know an awful lot people who are freaked out by characters. That doesn't seem to stop Disney. People are terrified by heights. And small spaces. And crowds. Disney can't possibly cater to phobias. It's an impossible task.
This is a good point. I have a niece who is terrified of costumed characters. Mickey Mouse, Chuck E Cheese, sports mascots, it doesn't matter. She still managed to go to Disney World.

I'm terrified of bugs. You know what I do? I just don't go see It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Give it a chance, people!

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
CurlyJo224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Magical Kingdoms
Mouseketeer

I don't like clowns at all! They used to scare the crap outta me when I was younger, and now I still can't stand being close to them. But they're a good addition to the theme and that's what Disney's going for.

But since I'm not a huge Dumbo fan (Or a circus fan) I'll probably just stay away from that section of the park. But hey, at least they're not the clowns from Dumbo, which someone told me were supposed to be added to the Barnstormer for it's retheme. Hate those guys.

When my brother finds out about these guys he'll have a hoot trying to torture me.
WDW trips - 2000 - 1st Trip, Sept. 2001 - All Star Sports, 2002 - Polynesian, 2003 or 2004(?) - Port Orleans/Coronado Springs, 2005 - All Star Music, Oct. 2006 - MNSSHP (All Star Movies), Aug. 2007 - Day trip for Pirate and Princess Party, Nov. 2009 - Matt's B-Day trip, back to All Star Music, Oct. 2010 - My B-Day trip, Pop Century

Universal Trips - May 2012 -1st (and currently only) Trip, Day at IOA and the WWoHP!
Magical Kingdoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
I am not afraid of clowns, I just find them not amusing at all. I think they are loud and obnoxious and I associate them with cheap carnivals, not high level park like Disney. It is just so .
My thoughts exactly. This just doesn't seem to be right for a Disney level. I've never liked clowns and never found them funny, just bizarre.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

I'm not sure comparing fear of clowns to fear of other characters or roller coasters is fair. The percentage of people who have an aversion to clowns is huge compared to the other fears mentioned, just look at the reactions in this thread. When you read a thread about a new meet-n-greet or something, you don't get an overwhelming number of responses saying "Oh my God, I'm absolutely terrified of Brer Rabbit, I will be avoiding this area for sure." But clowns......?

Not sure what Disney was thinking with this one. I'm willing to bet there are more people out there who hate clowns than there are people who like them.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Actually I looked this up before I posted the first time. It's about 10% of the American population.

25% are afraid of spiders. I am one. I do not love ITTBAB.

I personally know many adults and tons of small kids who are TERRIFIED of characters. There even is an entire thread of photos of people freaking out when characters come up to them.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: