Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
mommycal
Mouseketeer

What is/isn't allowed on the plane

Because we're traveling w/3 small kids I'd like to bring some snacks/drinks. What is/isn't allowed? Are the small horizon milk cartons allowed? how about hand sanitizer, baby wipes???? I know TSA can be funny about liquids/etc?
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
tianna26
Mouseketeer

Baby wipes are allowed
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Check www.tsa.gov for the official word. In short, liquids are not allowed through security.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
GrnMtnMan
DIS Veteran

But you can buy things once you are through security. Depending on the size of the airport, they might have everything you need for-sale.

For example, we never attempt to bring apple juice or milk through security, we buy it once we are through security and in the gate area. In larger places, many food venues will sell cartons of milk. And Starbucks will sell you cups of whole/skim/soy/2% milk if they have it.
Dolphin 10/04
DL - Grand Californian 3/06
Disneyland Paris 9/07
Swan 9/08, 6/10
BLT 9/09, 12/10 - Father-Daughter Trip, 10/11, 10/12, 10/13, 10/14

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, 3/11, 4/12, 3/13, and 4/14

Last edited by GrnMtnMan; 12-03-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos
GrnMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Googilycub
Mouseketeer

You will want to check the tsa website. For the most part liquids are not allowed, unless the container is 3.3 oz or less, and all of the items have to fit in a quart sized ziploc bag. Each passenger is allowed one ziploc bag full of liquids. Other food items not allowed depend on individual airports. Some tsa will let things through, and others will not. The airport I work at does not allow peanut butter, yogurt, or certain pies (weird huh?). Just to be safe, try not to bring anything that can be considered liquid, gel, or paste. Hope that helps!
Googilycub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

As posted, check TSA.org. Note that liquid exceptions are made for babies:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...eling-children
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

for young kids, I was told I could bring 1 little milk or juice each but would need to get them tested which means opening it for them to test. For baby, never was told no for liquids or amounts and believe me I 've had lots as I travelled before with almost 1 yo triplets and had enough formula for 1 day worth. Hand sanitizer, counts in your amount of allowed liquid which is 3.3oz. baby wipes, no problem there as I always have a full size baby wipe box full to the top.

I have learn that it's easier to buy milk and juice after security then having to open containers for them to test. It's less spillage that way LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
jasec2
Mouseketeer

We went through security at JFK with juice for our little ones as well as our sons liquid meds. I told them about it but they never asked to see anything. I was terribly worried but it was fine. Go figure.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Anyone know about fruit snacks or gummy candy?
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

I brought a couple of the Enfagrow ready to drink boxes (similar packaging to true Horizon Milks) for DS 16 months. I was allowed to bring them through, but since they were sealed and couldn't be tested, I had to have a pat down. I wouldn't have cared if they opened one to test, but I wasn't given that option.

As far as fruit snacks and stuff, never had issues bringing those on the plane
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pletprincesses View Post
for young kids, I was told I could bring 1 little milk or juice each but would need to get them tested which means opening it for them to test. For baby, never was told no for liquids or amounts and believe me I 've had lots as I travelled before with almost 1 yo triplets and had enough formula for 1 day worth. Hand sanitizer, counts in your amount of allowed liquid which is 3.3oz. baby wipes, no problem there as I always have a full size baby wipe box full to the top.
LOL
Last Feb my husband and I took our very tiny then 3 y/o GS to WDW. This kid is so tiny, most people think he's 18 months-2 y/o. His parents drove us to the airport very early that morning, so we just left him asleep. We woke him up going into the airport and of course as usual the first thing he wanted was his little sippy cup of apple juice. We were in line for security with me dragging a carry on with one hand and holding onto his hand with the other, while he drank out of his sippy cup. A TSA agent saw us, came over and told us we'd have to dump the juice. When I politely told him I thought I had read that sippy cups were OK for toddlers, he told me, the only liquids that were allowed through security outside the 3-1-1 bag was for infants and any kid who could walk, did not count as an infant. We had a very unhappy, very sleepy 3 y/o on our hands, until we could get through security and get him some more juice. He was drinking out of the sippy cup, so obviously there was nothing dangerous in it, but we still had to dump it. Testing it was not an offered option.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

As pointed out to you in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2974601&page=2

A three year old is neither an infant nor a toddler. The TSA made the right call; the juice is not allowed through security unless there is a medical reason for a child that old. It's pretty easy to buy juice after security.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
As pointed out to you in this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2974601&page=2

A three year old is neither an infant nor a toddler. The TSA made the right call; the juice is not allowed through security unless there is a medical reason for a child that old. It's pretty easy to buy juice after security.
Not going to argue with you. The poster I quoted made the comment that she was told she could bring milk or juice for a 'small kid'. I was just letting her know that wasn't necessarily true. My GS was a very 'small kid' and had his taken away. I was told that if the kid could walk, the sippy cups were not allowed. It didn't matter how old or what their size was. The criteria they were using that morning was if a kid could walk or if he was a baby in arms.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

I think this varies by airport. On our way to DW with the baby they put the bottles in some sort of machine to test it. On the way back a different airport didn't test the bottles but instead gave me a patdown and tested my hands with some sort of machine I'm guessing for residual traces of gunpowder or explosives.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
mommycal
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. So it sounds liek pretty much all snacks are ok like crackers, goldfish, gummies, etc. Just careful on the fluids.

so how about contact lens solution?
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: