Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
camdensmom
DIS Veteran

6 days to go & freaking about germs

I am so very excited to surprise our kids on Thursday night with the news that we are going to Disney next weekend. But, now that we are in close proximity I am beyond nervous about somebody getting sick.

We went to wdw a few years ago in April and all 5 of us had a stomach virus and it was awful!!! I wasn't expecting it in the spring. I am a teacher and there is so much going around school. A friend is down there now and just posted on FB that they got a bug on day 2.

Ugh!

I always travel with antibacterial wipes and clean the phone, remote, faucets, doorknobs, etc as soon as we get to the hotel and then use tons of antibacterial gel, wipes and good old soap and water.

Disney brings out the germaphobe in me because I swear I'm usually very relaxed about those types of things.
camdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Ahrizel
Mouseketeer

My perspective is a little different from yours because I'm not a germaphobe. The best suggestion for you is basic handwashing and keeping yourself healthy-eat a good diet, get enough rest etc. As for the antibacterial onslaught, it won't do any good against a stomach virus, antibacterials don't kill viruses. And a virus is usually what gets most people sick. Simple good hygiene and handwashing, with plain soap, is enough for most folks. If someone in your household has a lowered immune system, then more may be necessary. Overuse of antibacterial products can increase the odds of resistant bacteria also. I think a lot of folks get sick at Disney due to lack of sleep, exposures to new bugs and crazy different schedule. If you can, just relax about it, stress makes you more likely to get sick too! And yes, I get a bug every 2 or 3 trips to Disney, and so does my husband. And we do nothing but handwash appropriately. It's the lack of sleep and wacky schedule that does us in every time, along with exposure to different bugs then at home. Good luck with not getting sick, and pack a few meds to limit the duration of anything you do get.
Mary
Ahrizel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I totally understand the anxiety over getting sick. I'm never a germaphobe in normal life, but the week before a vacation I start to stress about someone getting sick too. So far my son has been sick every trip, but it has somehow never ruined the vacation. I'm sure I should just relax, but it's easier said than done.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
nefritz
Mouseketeer

We leave in a week and I too am starting to freak a little I went and bought zinc and echinacea for everyone to take before we leave. There's six of us, so if we got a bug it definitely would be a bummer
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

We leave Wednesday evening and I know how you feel. I am drinking plenty of water, OJ, taking a multivitamin. I have DD doing the same except she is taking kids vitamin c instead of the multivitamin. I plan on washing (soap and water) our hands before we eat anything in the park and I have antibacterial wipes in case we can not get to a bathroom and DD wants a snack (like in a line).

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
mommycal
Mouseketeer

what to bring/is allowed on the plane?

wrong thread
mommycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Just relax...Stressing over it is far more likely to make you sick and lower your immune system..I am an RN so I don't stress about germs, I run into far nastier stuff each and every time I go to work..I have found that getting plenty of rest, good ,nutritious food and simple washing washing your hands this time of year works well
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

Our DD (2.5) is sick now and we leave on Friday. This ALWAYS happens to us. No matter how hard I try to keep things clean, she always manages to get sick right before a trip. Hoping she gets better before we go!!!

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
disneyfan4u
"Everything that is or was, began with a dream..." Lavagirl

I am the same way! And we leave Thursday!!! Aahhhhhhh!!!! We had a nasty virus back in March but we weren't in Disney. We got it from a Dr.'s appt. We have been preparing out immune systems for a few weeks now. And we take probitics. I am not sure if this works or not but I figured it is worth a try. I will do everything I can and if it is not good enough then I knew that was meant to be. I actually had to see help after the last virus because it mentally messed me up. I was in the hospital for dehydration and my worst fear in life is throwing up or my kids throwing up. I know I am OCD but we all have our quirks, lol. Actually, 3 years ago my husband got the H1N1 there. So there are all kinds of nastiness there.

DD DD DD DH Me
disneyfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
4fordisneyworld
Mouseketeer

You might check into Standard Process products, usually found at a chiropractor's. I personally buy mine from Amazon now, but I am not recommending without you talking to someone about using it first. It is all made from whole food. We have been using one of their products specifically for boosting the immune system for about 2 years now and have had great results. Been to Disney 3 times at least while using this and stayed pretty healthy. My kids used to get ear infections and strep really bad every year. Good for protection from viruses as well. Since being on this product we have not had to use an antibiotic for a very long time. That is saying something for us with bad asthmatics in the household. Not saying it is a cure all by any means. They have other products we keep on hand to use at the first sign of coming down with something.

You still need all the great advice given already....hand washing being the best, and definitely rest and hydration. But this does definitely help boost your system.
I do use Emergen-C for the plane trips. We used to use Airborne but for some reason we all seem to actually get sick after taking that.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
naomi78155
SAHM 2two. LOVE DiS!

Ugh! Just one more ting to worry about! I have antibactirial gel and wipes, and clorox wipes for the airplane trays and such. I am a total gem freak.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

We leave in three days, and I have been nutso for about a week. I'm a substitute teacher, and last week I subbed in a preschool classroom, only to find out that a stomach bug was going around. One kid was sent home that morning, another kid had issues at the very end of the day, and the next day three kids were out with it. I Lysoled the heck out of that room before I left for the day--nap mats, tables, chairs, door handles, and bathroom!
I tell my own kids everyday before they go to school not to touch their face, put their hands in their mouth, or kiss anybody (lol--they're 6 and 10--that's still gross to them). I also remind them to wash their hands after bathroom trips and before eating!

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

I can understand being nervous since you got sick before.

I can tell you this.... we were there from Sept 30-Oct 10. 12 entire days. The kids touched walls, railings, etc. We didn't use wipes or hand sanitizer. They washed their hands when they went to the bathroom. None of us got sick at all.

Don't let being paranoid about getting sick put a damper on having fun.
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Just relax...Stressing over it is far more likely to make you sick and lower your immune system..I am an RN so I don't stress about germs, I run into far nastier stuff each and every time I go to work..I have found that getting plenty of rest, good ,nutritious food and simple washing washing your hands this time of year works well
This...don't stress out...just relax and be healthy
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fordisneyworld View Post
You might check into Standard Process products, usually found at a chiropractor's. I personally buy mine from Amazon now, but I am not recommending without you talking to someone about using it first. It is all made from whole food. We have been using one of their products specifically for boosting the immune system for about 2 years now and have had great results. Been to Disney 3 times at least while using this and stayed pretty healthy. My kids used to get ear infections and strep really bad every year. Good for protection from viruses as well. Since being on this product we have not had to use an antibiotic for a very long time. That is saying something for us with bad asthmatics in the household. Not saying it is a cure all by any means. They have other products we keep on hand to use at the first sign of coming down with something.

You still need all the great advice given already....hand washing being the best, and definitely rest and hydration. But this does definitely help boost your system.
I do use Emergen-C for the plane trips. We used to use Airborne but for some reason we all seem to actually get sick after taking that.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Big FAT DITTO! We used Standard Process supplements as suggested by my acupuncturist & I've not had a flu or virus in almost 2 years for more than a day of very mild, very quick symptoms... if at all. That's when everyone around us is out for 3-5 days battling the bug. DD & I use them all the time, but I upped our intake of probiotics & echinacea in the 3 weeks before our Oct trip. (Everyone was posting about coming home sick from Disney & I wanted to do everything I could to avolid it!) Otherwise we just stuck to handwashing, making sure to get our fruits & veggies in around all the junk food , lots of water and getting decent sleep whenever possible. For the kids echinacea, I use the liquid one at herbdoc.com, they're all organic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: