Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
lizabu
DIS Veteran

disneystore.com free shipping to Canada?

I saw just before Christmas last year the had free shipping to Canada. Is this a yearly thing? Does anyone remember when it was last year? There are some ornaments I really need but the cost of shipping scares me.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen it yet this year. Any way you could pick up your order in the US. It would save you the cost of customs. To me the shipping cost is not so bad, it's the customs that kills me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu
I saw just before Christmas last year the had free shipping to Canada. Is this a yearly thing? Does anyone remember when it was last year? There are some ornaments I really need but the cost of shipping scares me.
It was right after black Friday that they offered this special and I have as of yet to see it this year.
Do you live close to the border? There are some companies out there that you can ship your stuff to and pay them a small fee. I was given the address of one in Lewiston, but I've never used it.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
C&B Young
Twitter @CanaDisney

Would love to see it again, but highly doubt it. This time last year the Disney Store briefly attempted to make their shipping a little more favorable to Canadians ($15 flat rate shipping on orders over $100), but their use of UPS Standard shipping still made taxes and brokerage fees payable by the recipient. Disney Store then went back to their old Canadian shipping rates a few months later. Back when Jim Fielding was President of the Disney Store he was pretty active on Twitter and made numerous assurances that they were looking into better shipping options for international customers. Of course he's now gone, and no further progress seems to have been made.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Thanks guys. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Theres an ornament set that costs $22 but then they want $24.95 to ship it. If they offer the free shipping again it will be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B Young View Post
Would love to see it again, but highly doubt it. This time last year the Disney Store briefly attempted to make their shipping a little more favorable to Canadians ($15 flat rate shipping on orders over $100), but their use of UPS Standard shipping still made taxes and brokerage fees payable by the recipient. Disney Store then went back to their old Canadian shipping rates a few months later. Back when Jim Fielding was President of the Disney Store he was pretty active on Twitter and made numerous assurances that they were looking into better shipping options for international customers. Of course he's now gone, and no further progress seems to have been made.
I know for sure sometime in Nov/Dec last year they had free shipping to Canada. I was just checking to see if anyone else remembered it and when it was. I'm hoping they do it again this year.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran

The only way it becomes worth it to me is to use the package services like someone else mentioned. Luckily I live close enough to a border to take advantage of that. We don't use them often, but we do this time of year. I shop online Black Friday sales and holiday sales and save a ton by not getting certain items here.
For example the gift I am getting my son is 80 dollars cheaper (regular price) in the States. It only costs be 2 or 3 dollars to have the package held and 9 times out of 10 at Christmas time they wave me through when I make my declaration. Even if I am asked to pay duty it will be a significant savings over buying the item here.

ETA) I was looking in my email the other day.. I did use the free shipping to Canada last year and I think it was earlier in November but I could be wrong. I did not pay any additional fees on top of the items I ordered.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
candielips
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto
The only way it becomes worth it to me is to use the package services like someone else mentioned. Luckily I live close enough to a border to take advantage of that. We don't use them often, but we do this time of year. I shop online Black Friday sales and holiday sales and save a ton by not getting certain items here.
For example the gift I am getting my son is 80 dollars cheaper (regular price) in the States. It only costs be 2 or 3 dollars to have the package held and 9 times out of 10 at Christmas time they wave me through when I make my declaration. Even if I am asked to pay duty it will be a significant savings over buying the item here.

ETA) I was looking in my email the other day.. I did use the free shipping to Canada last year and I think it was earlier in November but I could be wrong. I did not pay any additional fees on top of the items I ordered.
Pigletto would you be willing to share the package holding place you use?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
Check myusaddress.com It's free to use you simply pay whenyou pick up your package. it's usually $5 per package and they hold it for 2 weeks at that price. I know there's other places that do the same but that's the one I use all the time. It saved me tons on shippign and customs as we usually do day trips on the weekends that we need to pick up something
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I use this one.http://www.usaddressinc.com/

It is approximately 3 minutes over the Queenston/Lewiston border.
It says on their website that they charge 5 per package but whenever we use them we've gotten multiple things at a time and I don't ever remember being charged 5 per item. However my husband picks them up on his way home from work so I don't know exactly. I'll ask him. Even at 5 per package, we aren't usually charged duty so it's a great deal.
I always always declare the full value and have my printed receipts from home. One time I forgot to give my husband the printed receipts and he declared what I said I had paid. Well they decided to look in the boxes. Wouldn't you know there were no receipts? So they assessed the value of the price tags.. which had the full prices on them instead of the sale prices I paid. They then gave him a lecture about lying and he had to pay duty on 250 or so that I had actually only paid 100 for
He was so mad at me because we make sure to never ever lie and now it looks like we did.
Sorry for the off topic story.. just make sure to print off the online receipts you get
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

There are several places you can use in the states. I know of a couple in Niagara Falls, NY. I would have to double check on the names of them, as I don't use them, I have friends that do.

I always ship my items to the UPS store in Niagara Falls. Being a larger business, I don't worry about items getting lost (as has happened with smaller places). My packages are then tracked because of where it's going, and if UPS looses an item, it's on them.

It's a small amount for them storing it, but you don't pay fees to ship there.

I would recommend, if you are able to, to ship it into the states, and pick it up there. Not only do you save a bunch of money but you can also get cheaper gas while over there
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
C&B Young
Twitter @CanaDisney

Well free shipping was back for the Disney Store's Cyber Monday style, and as we all expected it did not include Canada.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Riniel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B Young
Well free shipping was back for the Disney Store's Cyber Monday style, and as we all expected it did not include Canada.
I was wondering about that. Lame. Never any love for Canada :/
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I think part of the reason they cant do free shipping has to do with things like GST and import Duty. In some cases like when they use FedEx which has armaments in place to act as a customs agent themselves so you don't have to pay it on arrival or pay extra for shipping.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by candielips View Post
I second the UPS store...we use them all the time!

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
piyoxoxo
Earning My Ears

I second the "no love for Canada" :/
piyoxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: