Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #76
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We are a family of AK lovers too. The Wilderness Explorers thing sounds really cute, but I think DS will still be a little too young to appreciate it on our trip and might get bored if DH and I are doing it. We will definitely look into it though and see if it is something we might enjoy!

All of your must-do's (except Dinosaur! ) are our must-dos too! We saw the parade for the first time this past trip, and DS loved it. So we might have to make it a point to get there one afternoon more often to see it again! He loved all the characters and the music.

I think the only other thing we would add to our list would be the characters. There are so many unique character greet opportunities there! One of the cutest character meets we had with DS last trip was Rafiki at Rafiki's Planet Watch and Baloo & King Louie at Camp Minnie-Mickey.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #77
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

I am here!!! I love reading your PTR so far. And it is nice to follow along with someone else from WI. Glad you are getting out of this WI winter soon. I really wish I was in Disney today. It is 64 there right now and 5 here.

Cant wait to her more

Trips: Many before DS, 2013- DS 1st trip Poly CL, 2014-BLT LV
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #78
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
We love DAK also. Kilimanjaro Safari is top on our list, along with Festival of the Lion King. (I so hope it is still happening when we go in April since there are rumors of it closing while a new location is established for it.)

We don't do anything jerky, so have never done EE or Dinosaur. Nor have we done the water ride (name escapes me right now).

We enjoy Rafiki's Planet Watch, the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek. I just love looking at the animals. One of my favorite things to do is explore the "secret" trails around the Tree of Life. No one is ever there and it is very quiet and peaceful.

I love the overall atmosphere of the park even though it can be the hottest park. (The only time I got the "Disney Rash" was after a day at AK in the 50s when I was wearing long pants. )
Yeah, I've heard some rumors about FOTLK too but not in a while. I really wonder what's going on with it.

The water ride is Kali River Rapids. We've done that a couple of times and I always say I want to do it again, as we're leaving the park so if I get soaked I won't have to walk around in wet clothes. But I always chicken out.

The Tree of Life trails are fun too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWaddictt View Post
We love EE, Safari and it's Tough to be a Bug. That show cracks me up. We also love to just stand there and watch the animals.
Watching the animals is so much fun. Last trip we spent a lot of time watching baby Lily and the other gorillas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyNancy View Post
We are not hitting up AK this trip and I know I am going to miss it! We will be going next year though and I ampretty excited about the Wilderness Explorer program!
Aww, bummer! I would be so disappointed to miss the AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
We went to AK on our last trip after a year long break from the park. I like the Safari so much more without the little red story. The zebras are really fun to see too. You did get some great pictures of the lions the last time. Is it your first ride when you get to the park? That is the place we start.
FOTLK was a must do for us, it was a great show. I'm not sure if they will be stopping it in the future so we didn't want to miss it. I may have to see it on all my future trips, just in case they do stop showing it.
EE is my favorite ride, but my sis sat it out this year. I only went on one time, but it was great like always. I think that may have been all we did in the park, we hopped over to MK for lunch that day. But even though we were only there for a short time I was glad that we went.
I have off tomorrow too!
Looks like Emma is working at a great location, my favorite dining location is so close, how lucky that she may be able to go there often. Does she get a discount on food?
Yeah, we either go to the safari or EE first. The strange thing is we don't go to DAK in the morning that often because we've found that it's so easy to do the major attractions so quickly in the afternoon!

She does have a good location. I think she is a little disappointed but being close to one of her favorite restaurants is going to be nice. I am not 100% sure about food discounts but I think she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I hadn't heard about the Wilderness Explorers, how cute!

I too like the Safari better without the little Red story.
It does sound really cute. I just hope it's not designed too much for really little kids!

I am a little sad to see the little Red story go but I think the zebras are a nice addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Hahah I am the SAME way. It honestly bothers me when people will go on these like 10 day trips and not even bother to set foot into DAK. I'm like... WHAT? If I was working at a park I'd pick it, too! It's perfect. ANYWAYS!!!!

YES YES definitely do it's tough to be a bug! Honestly one of my favorites there for some reason!
Oh I know, how could you go for that long and not go to every single park? I don't get it.

OK, I'll do ITTBAB for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
EE is a completely different experience in the dark - it's a MUST, MUST, MUST!!!
I bet it is! That's why I really want to go late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
We are a family of AK lovers too. The Wilderness Explorers thing sounds really cute, but I think DS will still be a little too young to appreciate it on our trip and might get bored if DH and I are doing it. We will definitely look into it though and see if it is something we might enjoy!

All of your must-do's (except Dinosaur! ) are our must-dos too! We saw the parade for the first time this past trip, and DS loved it. So we might have to make it a point to get there one afternoon more often to see it again! He loved all the characters and the music.

I think the only other thing we would add to our list would be the characters. There are so many unique character greet opportunities there! One of the cutest character meets we had with DS last trip was Rafiki at Rafiki's Planet Watch and Baloo & King Louie at Camp Minnie-Mickey.
Yay, more DAK lovers!

That's awesome your son loved the parade. It is so cute and I too love the music and characters.

I have seen Rafiki but don't think I've met Baloo or King Louie in a long time! I feel like I always see them right around the Tree of Life. Oh wait, maybe I did see King Louie when we visited Emma the first time...I know we had one picture with an very odd assortment of characters. haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
I am here!!! I love reading your PTR so far. And it is nice to follow along with someone else from WI. Glad you are getting out of this WI winter soon. I really wish I was in Disney today. It is 64 there right now and 5 here.

Cant wait to her more
Welcome to another Wisconsinite! Ugh, I wish I was in Disney today too! It is so hard seeing all of my sister's pictures. AHHH it needs to be April now!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #79
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

I'm a DAK lover too!!! I was so excited to go back there on our trip! I had missed it, and we did a few things we hadn't ever done before, It was like being there for the first time!

I'm not going lie, the Zebras were very neat. They were close to our truck, so I took LOTS of pictures.

I rode Dinosaur, (all by myself) and I had a complete blast, I have the dorkiest picture of that....

It was neat to see Nemo again, after 3 years.

I think the Wilderness Explorers would be a great way to re-examine AK. And Badges would be a awesome souvenir.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #80
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Yeah, I've heard some rumors about FOTLK too but not in a while. I really wonder what's going on with it.
I'm wondering, too. It's popular enough I expect they'll keep it around. Hope that isn't a miscalculation on my part, though, since it's the one thing on my "really want to" list I didn't get to, and I let the rest talk me into going into home on the theory that it'll still be around next time! I think my odds are pretty good; made a deal with my youngest and we'll be doing the AK next trip out even if that's the only WDW park we visit. It's her favorite park.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #81
wdwgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
I'm a DAK lover too!!! I was so excited to go back there on our trip! I had missed it, and we did a few things we hadn't ever done before, It was like being there for the first time!

I'm not going lie, the Zebras were very neat. They were close to our truck, so I took LOTS of pictures.

I rode Dinosaur, (all by myself) and I had a complete blast, I have the dorkiest picture of that....

It was neat to see Nemo again, after 3 years.

I think the Wilderness Explorers would be a great way to re-examine AK. And Badges would be a awesome souvenir.
Yay, I'm glad you got to experience some new things at DAK.

That sounds so cool! I love it when the animals are so close to the trucks. I can't wait to see them.

Dorky pictures are the best. LOL!

Yeah, I think it's been about 4 years since I last saw it. Actually, that was the only time I saw the Nemo show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I'm wondering, too. It's popular enough I expect they'll keep it around. Hope that isn't a miscalculation on my part, though, since it's the one thing on my "really want to" list I didn't get to, and I let the rest talk me into going into home on the theory that it'll still be around next time! I think my odds are pretty good; made a deal with my youngest and we'll be doing the AK next trip out even if that's the only WDW park we visit. It's her favorite park.
I hope they keep it around too!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs UPCOMING TRIP: April '14-Pop Century
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #82
wdwgirl03

Well, I meant to do this update yesterday because we were 70 days away. I had most of it all typed up but then photobucket froze on me and my post ended up getting deleted. I hate when that happens. So, I guess I'll just have to do it today...which means we are now 69 days away from our trip!

YEAH!!

First, I thought I'd give another quick Emma update. There are a few of you who asked for the link to her blog, so anything I say isn't going to be new information. But, it's hard to believe she's already been down there over a week! Exactly one week ago was her check-in day, where she met her roommates (she had talked to 3 of them on facebook beforehand so she sort of "knew" them. But they also ended up with a couple more girls), went to casting, and found out her work location. On her last CP, she was lucky enough to be placed in her favorite park, Disney's Hollywood Studios. This time, however, she will NOT be in a park. Instead, she will be at...

DOWNTOWN DISNEY!!!

I think she is a little bummed about not being in a park but she still has a good location and a couple of her roommates were placed at the same location. Plus, she will be able to go to Earl of Sandwich (one of her favorite restaurants) a lot...I think she's already been there 3 or 4 times! Then she had her orientation, which included Traditions (again) and the DTD orientation. She had a couple days off to play in the parks with her new ID before starting her official training today. I am anxious to hear how it all went today. She had a pretty early shift. So, she is off and running now and I'm sure it won't take too long for her to get into a routine.

Alright, now it's time for another trip flashback!

DVC Flashback #3: May 2008

As I mentioned in the last flashback, our December 2007 trip didn't get off to a great start with our flight being cancelled. If anything good came out of that, it was getting some free flight vouchers, which meant we got to take another Disney trip that we wouldn't have taken otherwise. Because I didn't have a full-time job at that time, Dad and I were able to go in the middle of May. And since Claire had just finished up her school year, she came along too.

It was our first time going in May and it was also exciting because we were going to be staying at a DVC resort other than Saratoga Springs for the first time...the Animal Kingdom Lodge!!!

Did any of you ever see the old Great Hotels shows with Samantha Brown? They had a few on Disney resorts, and one of them was on the Animal Kingdom Lodge. After seeing that, I knew I was going to love it there!

It was so exciting pulling up to the lodge and then walking into the beautiful lobby.

Unfortunately, that picture doesn't do it justice, but trust me, it is AMAZING. If you've never been to AKL it is worth a visit.

This trip was actually right after they added the DVC villas there, so we were in Jambo House. Kidani Village was not open yet. Because of the construction, our view wasn't the greatest:

But we still had plenty of time to observe the animals! This has to be one of the best things about staying at AKL (or Kidani). It is so nice being able to just go outside and see these animals up close.

I think another thing I loved about AKL is the architecture. It's so unique!

How could anybody NOT want to stay here?!

We did not do any of the restaurants there but I do seem to remember getting zebra domes (unless that was at Kidani...) which are delicious. Claire and I used the pool once or twice which was awesome. There's a fun slide and I know I enjoyed swimming and looking up at the majestic lodge. Overall, our stay at AKL did not disappoint!

Some other highlights from this trip were:

Seeing the Flower and Garden Festival again...can't wait for April! I love the F&GF!

An offsite visit to Sea World! We hadn't been since 1995 and I really wanted to go back. This park is great too, and I would also recommend going there if you've never been before.

Attending the Pirate and Princess Party...this was very similar to the Halloween and Christmas parties. I'm glad we got to attend because they only did it for a year or two.

Meeting Prince Caspian...this was a cool meet and greet that went along with the attraction. I think this was shortly after the movie came out.

And perhaps the most exciting highlight was...

SOFT OPENING FOR TOY STORY MANIA!!!
I think I had been reading on the DIS before we went that they were going to be doing previews for the ride. The first couple times we went to DHS they weren't, but on our last evening, we went back to DHS, headed back toward Pixar Place, and sure enough, they were letting people in! This was the second time we had experienced soft openings for an attraction (we got to ride Soarin before that officially opened) and it did not disappoint.

We were pretty much in awe of Mr. Potato Head, and everyone was getting their picture taken in front of him.

As you can probably guess, we all loved the ride and it was so nice being able to ride it a couple of times with basically no wait.

So once again we had another great trip filled with many firsts!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #83
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

OH my goodness, it's actually ridiculous how much I want to stay at AKL! It's just SO AMAZING! Was that a savannah view? I don't really know where Kidani is in terms of Jambo House, sorry if that's a slightly dumb question hahah.

AHHH you got to do soft open for TOY STORY MANIA???? That is so awesome! MY FAVORITE!!!!! (Well, and Splash hahah. But that's irrelevant to this update.)

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
marDgreen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #84
WDWRocksMySocks
maybe I just have mullets on the brain?

Quote:

Did any of you ever see the old Great Hotels shows with Samantha Brown? They had a few on Disney resorts, and one of them was on the Animal Kingdom Lodge. After seeing that, I knew I was going to love it there!
construction, our view wasn't the greatest:
I used to LOVE that show!!! I miss all the Samantha Brown shows on the Travel Channel. I get super excited when she has a special on. Btw, did you see she recently had twins?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #85
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I saw that on YouTube -- I was looking for something on the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island. But even though it wasn't what I was looking for at the time, I watched it all of course. Looks like you had a great time there, despite the construction!

I'd been waffling on which DVC to try for our first time, but right now I'm thinking we'll try for the AKL. Youngest's favorite park is Animal Kingdom, but no one else puts it that high on their list, so we didn't go there for the second day she wanted this last time, but I promised her we'd do the AK next time even if we do no other parks. Staying at the AKL would be just the cherry on top for her!

Some big SeaWorld fans here. You got some nice shots. I had no idea the Pirate and Princess parties were for that short a time. Very sorry to have missed them. So appreciate your sharing.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #86
wdwgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
OH my goodness, it's actually ridiculous how much I want to stay at AKL! It's just SO AMAZING! Was that a savannah view? I don't really know where Kidani is in terms of Jambo House, sorry if that's a slightly dumb question hahah.

AHHH you got to do soft open for TOY STORY MANIA???? That is so awesome! MY FAVORITE!!!!! (Well, and Splash hahah. But that's irrelevant to this update.)
AKL is an amazing resort and you definitely need to stay there eventually! Don't worry, it's not a stupid question. The two resorts are really not that far apart. Kidani is sort of behind the main building. If I'm remembering correctly when you're on the bus you stop at Jambo House first and then there's a road that goes a little ways to get to Kidani Village.

Yes we did, it was so awesome. I wish we had ridden it more than just two times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRocksMySocks View Post
I used to LOVE that show!!! I miss all the Samantha Brown shows on the Travel Channel. I get super excited when she has a special on. Btw, did you see she recently had twins?
ME TOO! I don't know why they don't have them anymore, but atleast we recorded a lot of them. I heard she was having twins on the Disney Parks Christmas Day parade but didn't know she had them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
I saw that on YouTube -- I was looking for something on the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island. But even though it wasn't what I was looking for at the time, I watched it all of course. Looks like you had a great time there, despite the construction!

I'd been waffling on which DVC to try for our first time, but right now I'm thinking we'll try for the AKL. Youngest's favorite park is Animal Kingdom, but no one else puts it that high on their list, so we didn't go there for the second day she wanted this last time, but I promised her we'd do the AK next time even if we do no other parks. Staying at the AKL would be just the cherry on top for her!

Some big SeaWorld fans here. You got some nice shots. I had no idea the Pirate and Princess parties were for that short a time. Very sorry to have missed them. So appreciate your sharing.
Yeah, I really enjoyed AKL. The construction really only made our view less than ideal. It would've been fun to sit out on our balcony and watch the animals, but oh well! We just went down to the observation decks to do that!

Thank you! It is a bummer the parties weren't around very long. Glad I could share though.
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #87
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

AKL is my absolute favorite resort! I think we only did SeaWorld once and I was 6 at the time. I'm 29 now so it's probably time for a return trip.

Sorry photobucket gave you trouble, I HATE that!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14
Pinkocto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #88
wdwgirl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
AKL is my absolute favorite resort! I think we only did SeaWorld once and I was 6 at the time. I'm 29 now so it's probably time for a return trip.

Sorry photobucket gave you trouble, I HATE that!
Oh, you should definitely go back to Sea World! It's so much fun there. Actually, I'd like to go back too.

Ugh, me too.
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #89
wdwgirl03

Well, at the moment I don't have room in my signature, but guess what?!

I have another ticker!

Sunday was the first day we could make reservations for this coming December. I think you all know how much I keep saying how I need to get back to see the Christmas decorations, so we booked the other day! Right now it's for me, Dad, and Emma (we figure that if she isn't able to extend her CP she'll want to go back and visit) at our home, Saratoga Springs! Needless to say I am very happy about that...and there is nothing that's going to keep me away from the decorations any longer! I don't care how crowded it is. There is nothing like being in Disney World during the holiday season. So now once our April trip is over we'll have that to look forward to.

Just had to share!

Stay tuned for more park plans!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #90
WDWaddictt
DIS Veteran

Awesome..congratulations!!!!
WDWaddictt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: