Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

A little girl and her Wish

Hi there. I want to introduce you to my little girl who recently was granted a wish trip to Disney World. She is beyond excited and has had a rough go for the past few years, but you would never know it from her sweet disposition.

I'll start at the begining. Mia was diagnosed in-utero with critical aortic stenosis. The cardiologist told me at 25 weeks that she would need a heart transplant when she was born in order to survive. This news was understandably devastating, and week after week she held on despite the doctors thinking she would't make it.

Immediately following her birth Mia was rushed to Seattle Children's hospital which would be her home for the next five months waiting for a donor heart to become available and giving her a chance at life.

After four months of clinging to life, we were given the news that a heart had been offered to Mia. It was the most incredible phone call of my life, and still to this day do not think anything will top the feeling of knowing I get to keep my daughter. After a month of recovery we finally got to take our little girl home and along with her brother and sister we could be together as a family.

Mia was transplanted and did phenomenally her first year post transplant. She learned how to eat and got rid of her feeding tube when she was one year old. We were frequent visitors to the hospital that first year often going twice a week for labs and check- ups.

Sadly, for the past three years Mia has been in and out of rejection. When she is in rejection our hearts are broken... when she is not in rejection she is a bubbly happy seemingly typical 4 year old.

We can't imagine life without her and she is truly in a joy in all of our lives, and I am just thrilled she is able to make a wish. Mia has an affinity for Minnie Mouse and her very favorite show is Mickey Mouse club house. This was the basis for her wish trip to Disney World.

The trip to Disney World is scheduled for October, and October couldn't come soon enough.

We have never been to Disney World before, or anywhere close to Florida. I would love any advice or suggestions you have for us. I know it is magical and would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks for taking the time to read about our Mia girl.

Last edited by Miamakesawish; 08-12-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add a photo
Miamakesawish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Definitely make sure you get a Guest assistance card, if this is a make a wish trip, I believe they automatically give one, but at any rate check in at the Disabilities forum as they will be able to best help you there.

Other than that, have lots of fun and take lots of pictures, a photo pass+ card might be a good idea as well.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

Oh Great! I will do that. Thanks so much!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

I am so sorry about all of the trouble Mia has gone through, but I am so glad she is getting a Make a Wish trip to Disney world! You will all love it.
We met a girl who was visiting with Make a Wish and they had badges and stickers on saying 'make a wish'. I believe these meant cast members (Disney workers) would let them skip the queue on rides. I would look into this- although I am sure Make a Wish already has this covered.
The other thing as the other poster has mentioned is the guest assistance card. I would head over to the disabilities forum where they will hopefully be able to answer your questions thoroughly.
Have a wonderful trip and good luck to little Mia!

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

Ok, I will do that. I have just been spending the afternoon reading other wish trips. I didn't know about DISabilities. Thank you for the heads up. I have chills reading about other's experiences. I can't believe it is going to be us. Mia has been through so much, it will be a week of pure happiness. I still can't believe so many dreams have come true and I can read about them all in one place! :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
ginerjenny
Mouseketeer

How wonderful she was granted a trip!! Enjoy! Hope it is magical for her!
ginerjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
maroo
DIS Veteran

Hello!!

I put a link to your trip report on the Wish Trippers thread!

Are you guys going through Make a Wish? Or another organization?

Do you guys know where you are staying yet?
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

So glad Mia gets a wish My wish kiddo is a heart kiddo too. We use Seattle Children's also! Looking forward to learning more about Mia and her wish.

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Hello!!

I put a link to your trip report on the Wish Trippers thread!

Are you guys going through Make a Wish? Or another organization?

Do you guys know where you are staying yet?
Hi Maroo! Oh Thanks so much!! This DISboard is awesome. It is just a wealth of fabulous information.

Yes, it is through Make a Wish. Such an incredible organization. I know I don't even know the half of it because we haven't go yet, but so far I think they are all angels!

We are staying at a place called Give Kids the World. (GKTW) I am slowly learning all the abbreviations. From what I have read on other's posts we are gearing up for quite the experience.

Thanks so much for posting our trip. It looks like you do a lot of everyone on here! I was going to private message you a question when I was first posting, but didn't want to bother you. I eventually figured it out... now I'm embarrassed to tell you what it was. :-)

Thanks again!!!

Mimi
Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot93 View Post
So glad Mia gets a wish My wish kiddo is a heart kiddo too. We use Seattle Children's also! Looking forward to learning more about Mia and her wish.

Jackie
Hi Jackie!!

I love meeting other Seattle heart mom's. I always say that Seattle Children's is where MY wish came true! It is such a wonderful hospital. I love all the doctors and nurses there. I am off to read all about your wish trip. Thanks so much for posting here.

Is it ok if I just cry when I read a lot of these trip posts? Does this mean I am going to cry the whole time I am there? :-)
Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

I never knew what a wonderful place it was until Trevor showed me Yes. It is true that is where our miracles happened

I have cried on some of the posts too. We went to an event last weekend and I cried there too as some of the people were talking... I better pack lots of kleenex when we leave on our wish trip!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Mia's momma - I cry a lot on this board, and sometimes you just gotta step away.

You have mail - check your pm box.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Mia's momma - I cry a lot on this board, and sometimes you just gotta step away.

You have mail - check your pm box.

Oh my heart- I did step away today, but it keeps calling my name. I must read about all these incredible kiddos. So many miracle children! All in one place!

I just got the message... If there was a way to send a hug through the computer I would definitely be sending one to you!!

Mimi
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
Miamakesawish
Earning My Ears

We Have Dates

Mia's Wish trip is going to be October 2nd!

I cannot wait. After reading all of the wish trips on here, I wish we could go tomorrow.

Now I just need to keep Mia extra healthy! It would be awful if she got sick and we couldn't go.

Thinking Healthy Thoughts!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Healthy thoughts!

Tags
disney trip, make a wish, mia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: