Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
this is our first cruise as a family and way more expensive an investment than the cheapie carnival ones we'd taken back in our college days. Is getting trip insurance the usual practice? Do most people do it? What kinds of things doesit take care of?
We always purchase insurance on our cruise. Medical is one reason. Trip cancellation or delay are another. Read the insurance carefully. If you read this post, you'll see that we had canceled our recent Disney cruise early last month due to Hurricane Sandy. Our insurance denied our claim because our house was not "uninhabitable" according to them. Fortunately for us, we insured through DCL so even though insurance denied our claim, Disney is giving us a credit for the full amount paid for a future sailing. Problem with insuring through DCL is that it is expensive. 8% of your cruise cost. Which is why we're considering alternatives right now.

After experiencing what we just did, I can't imagine going on a cruise without insuring ourselves. If our rescheduled cruise cost were lower (hence the DCL insurance cost) I have no doubt I would go with them again. But this is not the case...
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
scubadiver
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
this is our first cruise as a family and way more expensive an investment than the cheapie carnival ones we'd taken back in our college days. Is getting trip insurance the usual practice? Do most people do it? What kinds of things doesit take care of?

We have taken DCL to Alaska, Panama Canal, Western Caribbean, Hawaii and Bahaman cruises. We have never bought insurance. This summer we have a Mediterranean Cruise and I am thinking insurance would be a possibility.

My question is buying insurance for air fare and cruise cost is pretty straight forward. We are staying at a different time share the week before the Mediterranean Cruise. This time share is just like DVC and uses points. How do you get insurance these accommodations?

July 2015 N. Europe 12 nt-Magic;
Christmas 2014 AKL; June 2014 WL; June 2014 E. Carribean - Fantasy; May 2014 SSR (precruise);
Thanksgiving 2013 SSR; June 2013 Mediterranean (Turkey/Greece) - Magic; Spring Break 2013 March/April BLT/AKL Concierge
Thanksgiving 2012 Carribean Cruise - Magic; July 2012 AKL; April 2012 Hawaii - Wonder; April 2012 Disneyland (precruise)
Thanksgiving 2011 SSR; July 2011 OKW; June 2011 Alaskan Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 Panama Cruise-Wonder; January 2011 OKW
Thanksgiving 2010 Treehouse Villas; June 2010 4-Day Bahamas Cruise-Wonder; June 2010 BWV
Christmas 2009 SSR; June 2009 OKW
Thanksgiving 2008 SSR; July 2008 OKW
Thanksgiving 2007 AS Mo; Feb 2006 Disneyland; Feb 2005 CBR; March 2001 AS Mo; March 1999 AS Sports; March 1998 AS Sport; March 1996 Off Site;
July 1990 Off Site 1st time w/wife 2B
scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #33
HANDYMOM
DIS Veteran

Out of pocket cost I believe
Sept 2012 - 2 families at CSR January 2010 - Polynesian January 2008 - Grand Gathering at Pop! January 2006 - 2 families at All Star Sports May 2004 POR - 1st trip with DS's 5&3 Sept 1998 - Belated Disneymoon at CBR April 1995 - CR

[/url
HANDYMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #34
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

Try *****************
I used avoya/american express and the kids were free
Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

I also found http://www.squaremouth.com/. Similar to *****************. They sell many of the same insurance products from the same companies, at the same prices. Only difference I can see is that their website seems a little friendlier and they seem to offer a few more options on their insurance products. I've used neither before, but think I'm going with squaremouth.com.
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
DeCostaClan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
If you use Costco travel, their policy includes a pre existing condition waiver up when purchased as late as within 24 hours of final payment. So if you transfer the reservation not only will you save a good deal of money on the cruise, you can get travel insurance at the 11th hour and still have a PEC Waiver
We booked our cruise on 12/7/12 for 5/4/14 through costco travel and yes...that is exactly what they told us. we do not need to purchase the insurance until we make the final payment. and pre-existing waiver is included. In fact they would not even let us purchase it now.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCostaClan View Post
We booked our cruise on 12/7/12 for 5/4/14 through costco travel and yes...that is exactly what they told us. we do not need to purchase the insurance until we make the final payment. and pre-existing waiver is included. In fact they would not even let us purchase it now.
It actually makes a lot of sense. Then if a trip is cancelled in advance, you are not out the money for trip insurance.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
babynala
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hijack but I was hoping that someone could help me with a question about cancelling a Disney cruise. According to the DCL website it seems that if you make any changes to your cruise date or names on the reservation you need to pay a cancellation fee. Depending on when you cancel the minimum you loose would be your deposit. It seems they updated the policy on May 15, 2012.

My question is - if you need to change your dates, do you loose your deposit or can you apply it to a future cruise?

TIA

From the Disney website:

CANCELLATIONS/REFUNDS: Cancellations may be made by telephone or in writing. Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of Guest names are subject to cancellation fees, stateroom and occupancy availability and prevailing rates at the time of the change. For cancellations, amounts paid, minus cancellation fees and other amounts owed, will be promptly refunded. The cancellation fees will be assessed regardless of resale of stateroom or hotel room.

Cruises Less Than 10 days where Embark or Debark is U.S. Port
Days prior to Vacation Commencement Date Fee Amount
45 days or more Deposit per Guest for Suites/Concierge staterooms
74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge rooms
44-30 days 50% of vacation price per Guest
29 to 15 days 75% of vacation price per Guest
14 days or less No refund

For reservations made prior to May 15, 2012, the cancellation fees assessed will be based on the cancellation fees listed on the original confirmation unless the sailing date or vacation package is modified.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
zstyles
Mouseketeer

True story, our inlaws booked a cruise puchased the insurance and had to cancel, they are in the process of getting the insurance claim settled right now but would have been out a major amount.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
We have taken DCL to Alaska, Panama Canal, Western Caribbean, Hawaii and Bahaman cruises. We have never bought insurance. This summer we have a Mediterranean Cruise and I am thinking insurance would be a possibility.

My question is buying insurance for air fare and cruise cost is pretty straight forward. We are staying at a different time share the week before the Mediterranean Cruise. This time share is just like DVC and uses points. How do you get insurance these accommodations?
Most insurance will not cover the "cost" of points you may lose. They will cover things like a re-depositing fee. If you want to actually cover the cost of your points, you need to get insurance specific to time shares. When I rented a friend's timeshare through Trading Places, Trading Places offered a really reasonable policy that covered the cost of the 2 weeks, plus everything else you'd expect from Trip Insurance (medical, trip cancellation, etc.) I'd check with the company you have the timeshare through (or that administrates the timeshare).

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #41
brrabit
Earning My Ears

Has anyone used or heard of RoamRight? I used squaremouth.com and they came up with a very competitive quote. But I can't find any reviews or outside information on them. They are rated A+ with A.M. Best which apparently is a legit rating company. I know very little about travel insurance but their quote is tempting compared to more popular brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinTigers View Post
I also found http://www.squaremouth.com/. Similar to *****************. They sell many of the same insurance products from the same companies, at the same prices. Only difference I can see is that their website seems a little friendlier and they seem to offer a few more options on their insurance products. I've used neither before, but think I'm going with squaremouth.com.
brrabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabit View Post
Has anyone used or heard of RoamRight? I used squaremouth.com and they came up with a very competitive quote. But I can't find any reviews or outside information on them. They are rated A+ with A.M. Best which apparently is a legit rating company. I know very little about travel insurance but their quote is tempting compared to more popular brands.
I have to admit, I've never heard of them. But then, I usually use www.***************** or www.tripinsurancestore.com, and not www.squaremouth.com. I know a lot of people like squaremouth, so if they rate it highly, it's probably a good company. Just make sure it covers what you need it to.

Sayhello

ETA: I went and looked at squaremouth, and one thing to note about RoamRight's policies is that they have a $50 medical deductible *per occurrence*. So, if they're $30 cheaper than Travelex, the first time you use it, the $50 deductible negates that.

Last edited by sayhello; 01-23-2013 at 11:28 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #43
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

We booked our cruise and insurance with AAA. They offer a couple different insurances. We purchased Allianz for $229, that includes a special cancel due to work clause. This is for a 7 day cruise for 2 adults and 2 children. (I believe the kids were free on the insurance)

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
brrabit
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I went and looked at squaremouth, and one thing to note about RoamRight's policies is that they have a $50 medical deductible *per occurrence*. So, if they're $30 cheaper than Travelex, the first time you use it, the $50 deductible negates that.
Good point. There are a number of policies that are very close cost wise. Save a penny to spend a dime! Thanks for the thought!

I've heard travel insurance can be full of smoke and mirrors...you really have to look at the details. Its driiving me crazy. I'm almost to the point where I'll risk the loss of the trip costs just so I don't have to deal with insurance companies!! Not yet...but almost.

Last edited by brrabit; 01-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
brrabit
Earning My Ears

One thing I liked about the RoamRight was the pre existing conditions waver that was included. At the price I was looking, none of the others had it. I guess I have little reading to do tonight!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: