Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Are these photos still on the PP website? What I mean is, are you still viewing them on your account, not on the CD/digital download? If so, this is normal. They put very low res photos up on the Photopass site. I'm guessing that they have had issues with folk copying them and not ordering the CD. It would help those who don't know this if they put a little notice up, because if I'm sure many folk who don't pre purchase take one look and decide not to bother! The actual images on CD are pretty good in terms of res. If they were out of focus however (and many of our night time shots are) there's not much you can do about it, even with the full res images. Looking at the one you posted, I think you're ok if this is straight off the site though. Nicest way I can put it is that those images you have to work with when adding borders look like they were taken with a 2mp camera phone!
So they selectively set some photos out of focus? lol.

If you reread my comments, you'll see I mention the difference in quality of whats on the web vs what you get on the cd. I already took that into consideration.

Just to put that to rest, here is another from the same series-

Low res and my face is horribly blown out by the flash but it appears to be mostly in focus.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #17
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
So they selectively set some photos out of focus? lol.

If you reread my comments, you'll see I mention the difference in quality of whats on the web vs what you get on the cd. I already took that into consideration.

Just to put that to rest, here is another from the same series-

Low res and my face is horribly blown out by the flash but it appears to be mostly in focus.
It's possible that those are going to be less than great on the CD. First thing I noticed was the blown out highlights. We have had the opposite problem in this location year after year. For some reason we have always had issues with underexposed photos and the white balance being out at the Pooh meet and greet in AK. I take it as a given that there are going to be shots on the CD's that are just not worth keeping, but with that said, we usually have over 2000 photos on ours as we do long stays so it's perhaps less of an issue. If you have a lot of photos that are less than satisfactory, I think it would be worth contacting Photopass and stating that you are unhappy with the quality. I don't think anyone viewing shots like this needs to know anything about photography to recognize blown out highlights or poor quality images so they should be able to pull them up on their screen and see for themselves.

Your photos on the other hand are most impressive, especially given they are SOOC I'm looking forward to seeing more
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
If you have a lot of photos that are less than satisfactory, I think it would be worth contacting Photopass and stating that you are unhappy with the quality. I don't think anyone viewing shots like this needs to know anything about photography to recognize blown out highlights or poor quality images so they should be able to pull them up on their screen and see for themselves.
We have about 700 photos over the 7 days we were there. It's hard to tell how they are going to come out until I get them. I'm adding some borders tonight and tomorrow and I'll order Sunday. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Quote:
Your photos on the other hand are most impressive, especially given they are SOOC I'm looking forward to seeing more
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

I know it's not a fair comparison since the below is a full quality JPEG (again SOOC no tweaking) but to give an idea of how my pics compared, I figured I'd put it up, especially after your kind words.

EXIF data intact, T4i with my walkabout lens, a canon 18-135 STM-

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

I would call Disney. The one girls hair is green in all the photos.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post

but what if they ask me if it is supposed to be that color?

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #21
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
I know it's not a fair comparison since the below is a full quality JPEG (again SOOC no tweaking) but to give an idea of how my pics compared, I figured I'd put it up, especially after your kind words.

EXIF data intact, T4i with my walkabout lens, a canon 18-135 STM-
That came out beautifully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #22
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
Yeah, it's probably not their equipment (they should be shooting with top-of-the-line cameras), but just their photography skills/style.
I have to be honest, I am not a fan of Photopass. The majority of the Photopass pictures I have seen or had taken have been blurry, poorly composed, overexposed, underexposed, etc... There have been a few instances where the Photopass shots have been acceptable, but for the most part they are average quality shots. As a few people have already stated, the more you learn about photography the more discerning you become about the photos you view. Before I go any further...I consider myself a photography amateur. I still have much to learn...please keep that in mind as you read the rest of this post.

I respectfully disagree with the assertion that Photopass photographers should be shooting with top of the line cameras. Many of the Photopass photographers do not have much, or any, real photography experience. I think most us agree that simply putting top of the line bodies and lenses in the hands of these folks won't automatically make them better photographers.

More importantly...think about the majority of Disney's customer base that actively purchase the Photopass service. These individuals are happy with the photos being purchased. Let me clearly state...it is not my intent to insult anyone who is a satisfied customer of Photopass.

My point is those individuals that are pleased with pictures taken by Photopass Photographers are likely folks that do not think about composition, the rule of thirds, accurate white balance, picture sharpness, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. These folks simply want snapshots to memorialize their visit to Disney. And there is nothing wrong with that... These folks don't care if the shot is partially blurry, they don't care that everyone seems to have yellow skin, or green hair, or the fact there are shadows on the face of subjects wearing hats, or that the sky is totally blown out.

The aforementioned items are not important to most folks...therefore, from a business perspective, I do not see see the benefit purchasing higher end bodies for Photopass photographers. Their core audiences is happy with the pictures taken with D90's. Disney's financial folks would have ponder the benefit of incurring the expense of purchasing Nikon D800s / Canon Mark 5D Mark IIIs or Nikon D4s / Canon EOS 1DXs. These top of the line bodies run from $3,000 - $7,000 a piece. And then you have to purchase high end glass to really get the most out these bodies. Some of the top end glass will cost you $2,000+ a pop.

Another thing to consider, is that the cost associated with upgrading to high end bodies would then be passed on to the consumer. Currently Photopass is not what I would call an inexpensive service. I can only surmise that costs associated with the Photopass service would drastically increase in order to cover the acquisition and maintenance costs of the new equipment.

At the end of the day I'm not sure it would be a good business decision for Disney. And more importantly, I'm not convinced the majority of Photopass fans have a problem with the quality of product being offered and sold.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
mcraige
DIS Veteran

I received our PP+ CD and was honestly disappointed. In many of the pictures, at least 1 person was out of focus.

I, too, noticed that they set my camera on Auto. The pictures they took with my camera (Sony a65V w/ 18-55 kit lens) are generally better than the ones they took with their camera.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: