DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #31
sechelt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdale74 View Post
Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and advice. I sent an email to the original person letting her know her reservation was cancelled due to lack of payment. I was lucky and I found someone who wanted to use the current ressie (yeah!!!!). I am going to be extra careful in the future and I will be doing contracts. Thanks for the advice!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Congratulations! This really is a typical Disney story.....it started out wonderful, turned ugly, then along came someone to save the day, and they all lived happily ever after.

Merry Christmas!
sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #32
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

Yes it was. Now I can make sure my daughter has a Merry Christmas. Seeing her happy and healthy is all I want

mike : maddie samicasey
chipdale74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #33
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I'm glad things worked out for OP, but there was a small point I wanted to make. It's great that people point to using contracts in these transactions as a solution, but even if they had a contract in this case, would it be legally enforceable? Or would it even be worth the money to pursue legally?

The more important idea to take away from this discussion is to have a set payment schedule that includes full payment before the 31-day cutoff. If the OP had a payment schedule that included full payment at 45 days out, they could have easily put the points back on the market before they went into holding. Luckily she found another taker for the reservation.

The contracts are not the be all and end all of point rentals, they merely just set expectations on both sides.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #34
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

I do so love happy endings. Thanks for posting Sharon, OP!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Glad it worked out, OP!
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #36
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your recommendations and advice. I sent an email to the original person letting her know her reservation was cancelled due to lack of payment. I was lucky and I found someone who wanted to use the current ressie (yeah!!!!). I am going to be extra careful in the future and I will be doing contracts. Thanks for the advice!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
That is such great news! I am always happy to hear when these things end well!!!

Enjoy your Holidays!
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (BLT),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
joeyrose
Mouseketeer

Quote:

great news! congrats!
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran

I'm glad it worked out for you.
I was sad that I missed this.
I would have rented your reservation in a second.
You probably could have gotten the full price for it.
I am going through major Disney Christmas Withdrawal.

I always get payment in full at 60 days out for rentals.
I also put in the contract that they forfeit their deposit if I don't get the balance paid at 60 days out.
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #39
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

That's a good idea. Did you make the contract yourself? Do you accept a % for the deposit? Trying to get some ideas for next time.

Christmas is my favorite time to go down. My entire house is decorated with Disney for the holidays.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm really glad.

Now...countdown to the "my owner ripped me off and cancelled my reservation" thread appearing.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Now...countdown to the "my owner ripped me off and cancelled my reservation" thread appearing.
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (BLT),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #42
chipdale74
Mouseketeer

Yeah I'll wait for that one too. It's becoming the American way to want things for free. I just hope someone else doesn't have to go through this.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #43
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
I don't know if I'd call this a "scam," because the person didn't get anything from you.
Understood.

You forgot time.

They were giving - left presents of headaches, stress and wasted time. And nothing's more valuable than time. Sighing.

I don't rent my points out on a regular basis at all. I did this year but haven't for years on end. But there are early potential renters and some whom I didn't turn my brain on for by going with them (not directed toward you OP) - that have tired the absolute crap out of me. And to me that's valuable time and energy. I came out of a transaction about seven years ago where I honestly felt that I had earned every cent of the transaction. Meaning I felt way underpaid. .

Yes they are few and far between and most are wonderful renters that know what they want ahead of time and are fantastic transactions. But there seems to me that there are more and more *interesting* people on the loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
But it's better than a check. Quicker, and won't bounce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
True but there are a lot of horror stories out there about PayPal reversing charges following a complaint or even locking accounts entirely.

I can't speak to the frequency of these actions, nor to the circumstances which lead up to them. But it seems if you're unlucky enough to hook-up with a renter who is bound and determined to cause trouble, complaints filed with PayPal--embellished or fraudulent--could lead to just as many headaches.
Thank you for addressing Paypal. I don't take it for these reasons and have to explain why I don't - which I have no issue with doing - as I can understand that it seems suspicious to some. I always say that I realize that there are a myriad of wonderful, successful Paypal transactions every single day but as an owner I won't put myself in a position of the transaction being challenged.

But it doesn't help when some owners on here guide potential renters - in general DVC renting discussions/suggestions/even a sticky once - by saying "make sure the owner takes Paypal".

Last edited by lisaviolet; 12-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #44
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Sorry. Forgot. I'm very happy to hear that things worked out OP.

And lessons are learned through business transactions for everyone.

But I just wanted to let you know that I understand how tiring it can be if you get someone who takes up too much time, thought and brings stress.

And even if we all do contracts and have strong "this is business" skills - well there is still the chance of having issues after a renter completes their stay. And enough said on that because I certainly don't want to give any idiots ideas. . Once again, few and far between but chances.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #45
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If the CM at the front desk isn't aware the the non-member is not the member, they can and have upgraded the reservation that required more points. And it is hard to get the money for those extra points from the non-member after the fact.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: