Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
shortbun
Peacenik

Island Stove top hoods?

Thinking about getting a range hood with a glass canopy. Thinking they might be hard to keep clean. Any experience with the different styles. This will not be a wall mount, it's going to drop down from the vent duct to light/blow and exhaust our cooktop which is gas. My husband cooks a lot in cast iron at hot temps and there is a lot of splatter but it should be high enough to catch only minimal.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
Thinking about getting a range hood with a glass canopy. Thinking they might be hard to keep clean. Any experience with the different styles. This will not be a wall mount, it's going to drop down from the vent duct to light/blow and exhaust our cooktop which is gas. My husband cooks a lot in cast iron at hot temps and there is a lot of splatter but it should be high enough to catch only minimal.
I have an island cooktop, but my vent rises up from the island with the touch of a button. It only takes up about 2 inches of space, and is out of sight until you need it. I really love it!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

We just installed a new one over our induction cooktop on a peninsula. It goes up through a soffit and vents to the outside. It has been great. Very efficient at removing steam, smoke and odors. I find it very easy to clean. I use windex on the glass. I have also cleaned the removable filter and that was easy too.

You don't want the hood mounted too high though as it may lose the ability to catch all the cooking residue. From the top of the cooktop to the lowest point of the range hood is just a little over 2 feet for ours. Maybe 2'2". I was concerned that it would be too low, but it is just fine. I think this is the one we have: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool...6DXS/203590613
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: