Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
Elias1901
Creative Consultant at the Disney Store (West Edm Mall)

Bringing the Dole Whip Home

Aloha, ladies and gentlemen!

The other day, my nieces and I attempted making a Dole Whip with the "official" mix they use at the Disney Parks. I ordered two bags of the stuff (supplied from the Unified Enterprises Corporation, available here: http://uec-hawaii.com/products2.html) a couple of years ago and have made it a small handful of times. I used up one bag of the mix but had put the second one away in storage. And there it sat for, like I said, a couple of years or so. After having taken my nieces to Walt Disney World for their first time and then having them excited to try the at-home version of their favorite Disney treat, I now I remember why I hadn't attempted making it again in such a long time. So, while I hope I may turn on some people who didn't know about the possibility of ordering this official mix to make at home, this thread is mostly a discussion for those who have tried making the Dole Whip at home with this mix. So, here's my main issue with making this treat at home. I follow the official mix's instructions precisely every time and yet the consistency of the Dole Whip always seems to come out a bit icier that what is served in the parks. I am planning a renovation of my in-home bar area into a Adventureland/Enchanted Tiki Room/Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar theme and I want to get this mix down properly before I invite some friends over to check out the entire project when I am done. Heck, I even bought a set of four of these souvenir tiki bowls that they sell at the parks to go along with the theme my new bar will have.

The directions I am following are as listed below:
  1. Start with two cups of water.
  2. Pour the water into a large measuring bowl.
  3. Measure 1 ⅓ cups of the dry mix.
  4. Add the mix to the water.
  5. Stir for two minutes. Be sure to dissolve all the powder.
  6. Keep adding more water until the mixture reaches 4 cups.
  7. Stir once again to ensure the mixture is even.
  8. Pour the mixture into your soft-serve maker for 25 minutes.
And yet, like I mentioned above, while similar in taste, the whip always comes out more on the icy side rather than smooth and creamy... tasting crunchy and more like a shaved ice. I imagine this could be one of two things. The sheer use of water alone, even though that's what is instructed to be use as the treat is supposed to be dairy free. Perhaps it is my soft-serve maker. Or even a combination of the two. Who knows? That's why I need your help! For anybody who has used this mix before, how has it turned out? Smooth and creamy or smooth-ish, but still fairly crunchy and icy? What if I added cream to the mix? Would that work? I can't imagine that THIS is supposed to be how it comes out. I want to know how to get this mixture to turn out smooth and creamy, just like when its served in the parks. To add a little more information before I turn this over to my fellow DISers... the soft-serve maker I am using is called the Cuisinart Soft Serve Ice Cream Maker (product information can be found by following this link:http://www.cuisinart.ca/cuisinart_pr...php?item_id=80). The reason I chose to purchase this soft serve maker, opposed to others, was solely for the reasons of that I liked how it looked in my kitchen and that it had a soft serve style nozzle for direct dispensing of the soft serve. I thought that it would be good for making the signature "swirl" that a Dole Whip has, rather than spooning clumps of the product into a dish. This product works pretty well and I am fairly pleased with it, however, I am not sure if that it is the problem. The only complaint that I have with this machine would be that when you dispense the soft serve, while it does come out with a "swirly-ish" look, the dispensing nozzle's hole is pretty small and doesn't allow for nice thick swirls... but rather, smaller narrow ones. That and the fact that once the drum inside begins to get emptier, the nozzle's pour is affected and begins to tapper off into little broken up bits of swirl... which is kind of depressing, but I could ignore all of that if the whip actually tasted smooth and creamy. Here's a photo of the version of soft-serve maker I am using:

It is a bit underwhelming when it comes out with this consistency as the dry mix is quite costly, especially when you add the shipping cost from Hawaii on top of the base price. Which brings me to my final question... has anybody purchased this same official mix from any other supplier or source at a lower/more affordable cost? I'd love to have a bunch of bags of this stuff always on hand in the cupboards of my new tiki bar, but I can't quite justify that with the cost of getting some of this mix over to me here in Canada. Hopefully some of you out there who have tried their hand at making this has had better luck and can share their expertise on how to make this treat come out more as they do at the Disney Parks!
Those magic sparks, in me and you.

Elias1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
lauradis
DIS Veteran

looks like time the time to experiment.

Have you tried 1/3 heavy whipping cream 2/3 water??

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2014/0...s-secrets.html

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/scie..._ice_cream.htm

good luck
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Elias1901

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
looks like time the time to experiment.

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2014/0...s-secrets.html

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/scie..._ice_cream.htm

good luck
Alright, I'll try it with a bit of whipping cream on my next go!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Don't do all cream. I did and it was a bit gooey and never set correctly. But I did like it better than all water. I like what the PP said, 1/3 to 2/3.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Elias1901

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
Don't do all cream. I did and it was a bit gooey and never set correctly. But I did like it better than all water. I like what the PP said, 1/3 to 2/3.
Noted!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
bcla
DIS Veteran

You'll need a commercial soft-serve/soft frozen yogurt machine to get results like you'd expect in a Disney park. I've heard of some people who went as far as to buy a used working machine, although often they had scratches. A used Taylor countertop machine might go for $500. The big ones on rollers may cost more. It might be possible to rent one for a party but the rental prices I've seen don't make any sense. You could probably buy a used one for about the price of two rentals.

I'd note there are other retailers that sell the mix. It's made by Kent Precision Foods under license from Dole. There are a few places around here that have it. The one closest to me is a frozen yogurt place called Menchie's.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
ashleysev
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
You'll need a commercial soft-serve/soft frozen yogurt machine to get results like you'd expect in a Disney park. I've heard of some people who went as far as to buy a used working machine, although often they had scratches. A used Taylor countertop machine might go for $500. The big ones on rollers may cost more. It might be possible to rent one for a party but the rental prices I've seen don't make any sense. You could probably buy a used one for about the price of two rentals.

I'd note there are other retailers that sell the mix. It's made by Kent Precision Foods under license from Dole. There are a few places around here that have it. The one closest to me is a frozen yogurt place called Menchie's.
I was going to say something similar. I've tried out different mixes from different suppliers and with different machines and I haven't been able to recreate it at home.

We have a yogurt shop nearby that has it. Oh man, it's dangerous for me!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Elias1901

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Darn. I was at Disneyland a week and a half ago and was going to try a Dole Whip. I forgot. Folks here love 'em for sure. I never paid attention to the menu, but I love the fresh pineapple juice, that is what I always get.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Elias1901

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
Yes! Yes!! YES!!! I tried this with my nieces after dinner this evening and it worked brilliantly! A totally creamier taste!! Thank you very much for the recommendation. The only thing I wish I could improve is the size of the nozzle's pour. Does anybody know of any soft sever makers that have a large pour nozzle to better recreate the swirl effect?

Tags
adventureland, disneyland, dole whip, the enchanted tiki room, walt disney world

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: