DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Special Offer

Is the current offer ($7 off per point when you purchase at least 50 points, plus $500 GC if you purchase 100) a good deal? I can't make sense of the math. And I can't find how much we paid per point. Where is that?

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Is the current offer ($7 off per point when you purchase at least 50 points, plus $500 GC if you purchase 100) a good deal? I can't make sense of the math. And I can't find how much we paid per point. Where is that?
You can save a bunch more by buying resale. Direct is pretty expensive, even with a "deal".

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
With all due respect, if you are saying this about a contract you just signed, you really need to go back and learn more about what you just purchased.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
lodge
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"And I can't find how much we paid"
this to me means you bought
First of all congratulations.
Secondly, if you did buy, your GS (I think they're called) can tell you for sure. Without the paperwork in front of us, it'd be hard to tell you.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you really should have done your homework before doing the deal. Sounds like you may have been swayed by a $500 GC when you actually could have saved thousands through other avenues..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Assuming you paid cash, your per point cost is simply the total amount you paid (deposit + due at closing)...divided by the number of points you will receive each year.

If you financed, you would need to add the total finance charges for the life of the contract (regardless of whether you intend to pay it off early) to get a simple estimation of actual initial cost. With that added, divide by points per year.

Ignore "free" points, because they are not free at all. They are simply the points you are buying this Use Year. Your DVC timeshare salesman may tell you they are free, but they certainly are NOT.

Buying a timeshare is a big financial decision, involving not only the initial cost but also a 30-50 year financial committment for MF's.

If you have even the slightest question about whether you did the right thing, I would strongly urge you to rescind.

If you choose to rescind (cancel), take a few deep breaths and consider your family's actual vacation patterns and needs. Then explore whether ANYbody's timeshare serves those needs. If timesharing seems to be right for your family, then determine as best you can which system would be the best for you. That may, or may not, be DVC.

Once you have settled on timesharing generally, and have identified a system that will fully meet your needs (or a combination of systems which will meet your needs), then go to school on that system and learn all you can about how the system actually works.

Once you understand all that, you will be in a position to make a sound decision about a) whether timesharing is good for your family, b) which system(s) serves your needs, c) whether a direct purchase from the developer or a resale purchase is better, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by JimMIA; 01-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
JimMIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your replies. To clarify, my parents actually "bought" for us as a wonderful gift. I pay them half of what they would've paid each month if they had financed, because I feel I should (they never asked). I don't have direct access to the contract, but was there for the final meeting onboard (they bought on our Alaska cruise). We did get the best bang for our buck with the 20th anniversary "deal" they offered. I just couldn't remember how much they paid per point (and didn't write it down - duh).

I didn't think the $7 off was that great of a deal, but just thought I'd put it out there.

I do appreciate your suggestions and obviously, I've got a lot to learn. But we *are* going to AKV for Christmas, so the magic is here even if I'm a dork.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. To clarify, my parents actually "bought" for us as a wonderful gift. I pay them half of what they would've paid each month if they had financed, because I feel I should (they never asked). I don't have direct access to the contract, but was there for the final meeting onboard (they bought on our Alaska cruise). We did get the best bang for our buck with the 20th anniversary "deal" they offered. I just couldn't remember how much they paid per point (and didn't write it down - duh).

I didn't think the $7 off was that great of a deal, but just thought I'd put it out there.

I do appreciate your suggestions and obviously, I've got a lot to learn. But we *are* going to AKV for Christmas, so the magic is here even if I'm a dork.
Is your name on the deed or just their's? If you are not on the deed, then you don't get member perks. You can be an associate on the contract, but you still don't get member perks like discounted AP or PAP. All you can do is make reservations.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: