Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
TXinmyheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjobe View Post
We do not plan to travel outside the US anytime soon other than a possible Carribean or Alaskan (sometimes port in Canada) cruise in 2015.

Would paying over $500 for passports be worth the peace of mind to you?
These statements always make me smile. If you asked me five years ago where our family would be or how much we would have traveled, I would have also said that we have no PLANS to travel internationally. Now our family has been to the Med, Europe and our planning Australia for 2014. Once you and your family have passports, you will find the entire world of possibilities!
TXinmyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

I totally agree. I had to use mine to get a driver's license when I moved to North Carolina since my birth certificate didn't have my middle name and therefore was not valid. Passports are good for 10 years and you never know where you might travel within ten years. I would recommend getting them.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #18
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

I do not know where you live, but some states issue enhanced ID's/ DL's. They work just like a pass card and are alot cheaper. $35 here in WA State.

When you do the Alaska Cruise alot of the time it is cheaper to fly in and out of Seattle than Vancuver. Then take the train or shuttle up.

Kevin
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDAD View Post
I do not know where you live, but some states issue enhanced ID's/ DL's. They work just like a pass card and are alot cheaper. $35 here in WA State.

When you do the Alaska Cruise alot of the time it is cheaper to fly in and out of Seattle than Vancuver. Then take the train or shuttle up.

Kevin
at least in Canada you need a passport in order to get the enhanced ID... so you still need the passport to get the ID...
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration/15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsMissy View Post
at least in Canada you need a passport in order to get the enhanced ID... so you still need the passport to get the ID...
In the US, at least in WA you do not need a passport to get the ID.

Kevin
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Glad you decided to go ahead and get the passport. I was in your shoes in the spring except for my family of four. It is a big chunk of change to do them all at once. I am glad I decided to go for it though. The month before our cruise my husband's company decided to send him to England for a couple of weeks. Thankfully he already had his passport (due to our upcoming cruise) because it would not have looked good for him to not go on this trip...and yet he almost *didn't* have one.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #22
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXinmyheart View Post
These statements always make me smile. If you asked me five years ago where our family would be or how much we would have traveled, I would have also said that we have no PLANS to travel internationally. Now our family has been to the Med, Europe and our planning Australia for 2014. Once you and your family have passports, you will find the entire world of possibilities!
100% agree with you. We got our DD a passport when she was 16 months old for our cruise to the Bahamas last year. In March she will be going on her 5th trip out of the county and she's only 2. We are able to travel freely and even at a moment's notice bc we all have our passports.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little c Travel View Post
Passports are a great form of idenfication. I think all Americans should have a passport regardless of future plans of travel.

Plus, you never know when you might end up traveling outside of the US, it would be terrible to not be able to go on the trip because you don't have a passport.

Adult passports are good for 10 years and kids passports are good for 5 years.
Going to agree with this post! My wallet was stolen a couple of weeks ago and having my passport was INVALUABLE in getting things like my driver's license replaced and being able to access my bank account while waiting on new debit cards. Being able to travel internationally on a whim is just a nice side benefit.

Jill in CO
Old 12-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Going to agree with this post! My wallet was stolen a couple of weeks ago and having my passport was INVALUABLE in getting things like my driver's license replaced and being able to access my bank account while waiting on new debit cards. Being able to travel internationally on a whim is just a nice side benefit.

Jill in CO
I'm sure lots of people are thinking that's such a remote possibility. But I lost my purse, and my passport was very helpful in re-establishing my I.D.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We always go the passport route, even when our DDs were young (5 & 7). You just never know what can happen when traveling. Although people think they won't be traveling outside the US sometimes things come up, e.g. Our youngest daughter was able to go a a church trip to the Vatican, on short notice. Without her passport she would not have been able to go & would have missed a wonderful experience.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
sambycat
DIS Veteran

We all have passports and always will? Even if we don't "need" them a ton, for many reasons.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
I would buy the passports.

If you live in the US and want to fly into Canada for your Alaska cruise, you will need a passport.
Unless you live in a state that offers an enhanced drivers license. We travel to Canada often with just our enhanced Drivers license!!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksMomma View Post
Unless you live in a state that offers an enhanced drivers license. We travel to Canada often with just our enhanced Drivers license!!
It appears you were replying to someone stating a person living in the US needs a passport to fly into Canada for an Alaskan cruise. You can cross the border by land or sea with the enhanced DL but you cannot fly without a full passport.
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #29
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

Hi - first time I have ever posted, but I feel pretty strongly about this. If your child gets sick and has to fly back, they need a passport. I know there are ways to get an emergency passport, as someone posted above, but that is the last thing you want to deal with at the time. I am optimistic, but I am also prepared . . . kind of like getting insurance in the fist place (don't think I will have to cancel a trip, get in an accident or have health issues), but you just never know.

So, my thought is that unless you live near the borders of Mexico or Canada and will be limiting your travels to simple land border crossings, why take the risk?

Have a great trip - and thanks for motivating me to stop lurking and actually sign up and respond to a post.
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I always keep my passport valid weather I have plans to travel or not. And I prefer to do them all the kids' at the same time (actually, dh does his own) so I am not constantly dealing with it.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: