DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
monica9
DIS Veteran

Question about future room points increasing

Will the point value for a typical weekly room eventually go up in the future as all prices go up on things? Example, we bought at animal kingdom for 160 points. Say an average week at ak is 100 points. Will they eventually increase that average to 150 weekly yet our points will always be 160/ year? Hope I'm explaining this right. Thanks for the help
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Total points for a resort can not increase but Disney can and has lowered points for some room types/periods while increasing points for other rooms/periods.

A good deal if you happen to vacation during the lowered period. In our case our favorite times were increased by over 30 points.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Will the point value for a typical weekly room eventually go up in the future as all prices go up on things? Example, we bought at animal kingdom for 160 points. Say an average week at ak is 100 points. Will they eventually increase that average to 150 weekly yet our points will always be 160/ year? Hope I'm explaining this right. Thanks for the help
The total number of points available for the resort will not change unless they build an addition to the resort. Like with OKW about ten years ago and they tore down the Commodore House and built Bldg 62, 63 and 64. The total number of points increased for the resort. When they added the THV to SSR, that increased the total number of points for the resort.

So with a fixed number of points, they can move the number of points required around, but even then they are limited to how much they can move around each year. Points were lowered on weekends a few years ago, but that meant they had to rise somewhere else to keep the total in balance. At SSR, they just raised the number of points required for the THV, so the points had to be lowered elsewhere to keep tht points in balance again.

They could raise a season or even create a new season to raise points required in early December since that is an extremely hot time to book, but points could go down somewhere else.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

The total points for the resort can not change. Small adjustments have been made because of room views and weekends vrs weeknights, but these changes are very few. So if something is costing you 100 points exactly right now, in x number of years it could cost a point or two more or less. Not something I would worry about.

What will increase is the annual maintenance fees. That's where you will see the effects of inflation, not the room point costs.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG
The total points for the resort can not change. Small adjustments have been made because of room views and weekends vrs weeknights, but these changes are very few. So if something is costing you 100 points exactly right now, in x number of years it could cost a point or two more or less. Not something I would worry about.

What will increase is the annual maintenance fees. That's where you will see the effects of inflation, not the room point costs.
When they raised the weekdays and lowered the weekends, some people saw a much bigger increase than a few points. iMO, I'd use the cost of the room in one of the higher seasons like Magic. This way, since things have to go down if others go up, you'd be using a higher starting spot.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Points can shift around, but can't unilaterally increase without a decrease elsewhere. As PPs have stated, the total number of points per year is fixed.
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

I am one of those badly effected by the points adjustments. I went from having enough points to stay 27 nights per year when I first bought in to 22 nights per year now.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
ninjagirl
Mouseketeer

This is great information. I'm not sure why I thought this would increase eventually forcing us into buying more points for the same vacation but holy heck DVC makes way more sense than it did when I initially calculated our break even point and assumed a percentage increase in our room point rates.

Logically, I see that it doesn't even make sense to assume otherwise since the properties have a limited number of points they can sell. Inflation doesn't create more. D'oh. My engineer brain doesn't often forget to function on logic but jeez. Light bulb moment.
ninjagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagirl View Post
This is great information. I'm not sure why I thought this would increase eventually forcing us into buying more points for the same vacation but holy heck DVC makes way more sense than it did when I initially calculated our break even point and assumed a percentage increase in our room point rates.

Logically, I see that it doesn't even make sense to assume otherwise since the properties have a limited number of points they can sell. Inflation doesn't create more. D'oh. My engineer brain doesn't often forget to function on logic but jeez. Light bulb moment.
What does go up is the annual member fees. When we first bought, our fees were in the neighborhood of $2.50-$3.00 a point. Now we are over $5.00 a point.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: