Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snvanvl View Post
When you email the Del Sol you actually receive a email back from Anaheim Desert Palms Hotel & Suites which is on corner of Katella and Harbor. The Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites is by the Del Sol but I am not sure it is owned by the same people.
It looks like they are all owned by the same people: http://hansji.com/category/california/
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #32
toomuchfun2
Earning My Ears

We stayed in that room over Thanksgiving week. Two days after we got home my DD had bumps all over her. Took her to the doc and was told she had chicken pox but then we all started getting these itchy spots. I thought it might be bed bugs but when I called the hotel on Dec. 3, a week later, they told me that they have a company come in and treat the hotel every month. I asked them to check the room and get back to me. They never did.

I have been treating out home as if we had bed bugs JIC but now I suppose I really need to step it up.

I am so pissed I could just scream. You should not have had to go through this. Someone should have checked that room and no one should have been allowed to stay in it. I intend to call tomorrow and give them a piece on my mind.

Please let me know if you want to go after them together.
toomuchfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #33
Geemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchfun2 View Post
We stayed in that room over Thanksgiving week. Two days after we got home my DD had bumps all over her. Took her to the doc and was told she had chicken pox but then we all started getting these itchy spots. I thought it might be bed bugs but when I called the hotel on Dec. 3, a week later, they told me that they have a company come in and treat the hotel every month. I asked them to check the room and get back to me. They never did.

I have been treating out home as if we had bed bugs JIC but now I suppose I really need to step it up.

I am so pissed I could just scream. You should not have had to go through this. Someone should have checked that room and no one should have been allowed to stay in it. I intend to call tomorrow and give them a piece on my mind.

Please let me know if you want to go after them together.
You might need to have a professional group like AlphaEcological come in and treat you whole house.

When you call DI&S tomorrow be sure to speak with a manager or owner. The support staff shouldn't have to take calls like this.

The OP was in and out of the room before you called in on Dec. 3rd. Hopefully DI&S have actually treated the bugs.

From reading this thread, you can see how these bugs are transported from one place to another.

I just hope the OP didn't move the bed bugs over to DL hotel.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #34
toomuchfun2
Earning My Ears

I didn't notice the dates she had stayed last night. I was slightly enraged to find out that I wasn't alone in this situation. I was upset and shaking when I wrote my last post.

I spoke with a manager on Monday. I realize now that they must have already known about the bedbugs since the OP had already reported them days before. I was led to believe that it couldn't possibly be bed bugs since they supposedly treat the hotel monthly.

I still have huge itchy welts all over my body from this ordeal. Until you go through it I don't think you can have any idea the outrage and helplessness that someone feels when finding out about it. We have been battling an unknown for a week and a half and to find out it is for sure bed bugs is horrifying.

We really have seen no signs of having brought any home. I have been cleaning like a mad woman and have sprayed a lot of diatamacious earth around for the past several days. I will be tearing my house apart even more so this morning after I get my bug bite ridden children off to school.
toomuchfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
jory29
DIS Veteran

Location: Sadly, too, too far away from DL. :( We still try to get there annually though. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchfun2 View Post
I didn't notice the dates she had stayed last night. I was slightly enraged to find out that I wasn't alone in this situation. I was upset and shaking when I wrote my last post.

I spoke with a manager on Monday. I realize now that they must have already known about the bedbugs since the OP had already reported them days before. I was led to believe that it couldn't possibly be bed bugs since they supposedly treat the hotel monthly.

I still have huge itchy welts all over my body from this ordeal. Until you go through it I don't think you can have any idea the outrage and helplessness that someone feels when finding out about it. We have been battling an unknown for a week and a half and to find out it is for sure bed bugs is horrifying.

We really have seen no signs of having brought any home. I have been cleaning like a mad woman and have sprayed a lot of diatamacious earth around for the past several days. I will be tearing my house apart even more so this morning after I get my bug bite ridden children off to school.

I hate that this has happened to you, too. I guess every one of us should always check a room to be on the safe side. There will be other precautions to take, too, for example, let's say your child took off an article of clothing and left it on the floor - now let's say they were in a hurry to get to school, so grabbed the first shirt that they saw - yep, the one on the floor. Now let's pretend a bed bug or two got onto their jacket. They hang up their jacket next to someone's then suddenly child B has taken bedbugs home with them. I do NOT know enough about bed bugs to know whether or not this can be true, but after hearing you can pick them up almost anywhere, such as movie theatres, etc., it is really gross.

OP, since your family is bitten up, somewhere, somehow you should be able to find evidence around the mattresses area.

Good luck with the DI&S I sure hope they understand how very detrimental this is to their business, and resolve these issues.

Edited to add: Yes, I guess it is entirely possible for those affected to start spreading them around. Here's an article detailing how it can happen, etc. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ans...-new-lice.html

Last edited by jory29; 12-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
jory29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

GROSSSSSS

We stayed there without a problem..and in fact I posted about how clean our room felt (I'm totally germaphobic so cleanliness is something I'm pretty particular about!) *shudder*

I'll be checking beds like crazy no matter WHERE we stay now.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #37
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
I'm not sure. We just got back from a stay at their sister hotel - the Del Sol. We had no problems there. I had reserved a Parlor A Suite since my parents were scheduled to come with us; however, my dad just had bypass surgery yesterday and won't be ready to travel then. So... I was honestly needing to start thinking about looking for a smaller, cheaper room (though we have an excellent rate on the suite at DI&S - so we'd pretty much end up at the Anaheim Plaza if we switch)...
I wish your dad a great recovery post op, not an easy road but walking is the key to a complete and speedy recovery. I had a quintuple 12 weeks ago, back to work in 5. Sorry, off topic.
My kids had bugs at PVI...

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 12-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I wish your dad a great recovery post op, not an easy road but walking is the key to a complete and speedy recovery. I had a quintuple 12 weeks ago, back to work in 5. Sorry, off topic.
My kids had bugs at PVI...

Jack
I'm joining you off-topic.

Thank you Jack. I'm glad to hear that your recovery has been going well (I sent a payer or two in your direction when your daughter posted about it and was happy to see you active on the boards again). I will make sure my dad is walking (he impressed the physical therapist at the hospital, so I'm hoping he continues to do well). 5 weeks seems amazing for being back to work. If you don't mind my asking, how are you feeling now? Do you feel almost back up to speed, or is a full recovery still a while off? I know the doctors had mentioned 3 months... Also, was it possible for you to enjoy Disneyland at 8 weeks? I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the time off of work for the January trip, so we also have reservations for early February and I would love for my parents to be able to join us (if my dad is ready for it). I'm just wondering if that should even be on the table, or if it would be too much for him.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
Mickey&JoshNut
It's not nice to distract the cute lifeguards

just keep swimming... just keep swimming.... Dory....
now I

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4cam View Post
OP here. To be honest, we didn't tell DLH. I feel bad, but at the time, we weren't thinking things through. All we could think was to get out of there as quickly as possible. We did bag up clothes that we thought might have bugs, and we continually checked out stuff when we were in the hotel looking for signs that we brought any with us. We also bagged up all the other stuff, so most stuff was bagged up. Not perfect, but it was something.

As Jory said, we could not fly back home, and waste our parkhoppers. We just did out best to minimize exposure. I can't imagine any hotel would have let us check in if we told them we were exposed to bed bugs.

I will definitely report this to TripAdvisor. The whole experience was terrible, and I have a ton of bites. Luckily no one else in my family has any bites.
I hope you have contacted the DLH hotel since you returned home to inform them of the situation and your room number so they can take appropriate action if necessary.

We have an upcoming stay at the DLH and bed bugs would certainly ruin it.

What building and room number did you stay in at the DLH?

04/12 Disney Wonder 15 Night Hawaii Cruise 03/12 - Disney Fantasy - Maiden Voyage 09/11 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
05/11 - Disney Wonder - 1st Alaska 7 Night Cruise 04/11 - Disney Wonder Repo LA to Vancouver 04/11 - DL - Disneyland Hotel
02/11 - WDW - POP Century 01/11 - Disney Dream - Maiden Voyage 01/11 - WDW - POP Century 09/10 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"
03/10 - WDW - POP Century - Elaine's Birthday Trip 12/09 - WDW - POP Century 09/09 - WDW - POP Century "Free Dining"

08/09 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter "Mom's Birthday Trip" 05/09 - WDW - POP Century 03/09 - WDW - POP Century
02/09-Disney Magic-Birthday Cruise
02/09-WDW-POP Century 09/08-WDW-POP Century 09/08-Disney Magic-Special 5 Night
08/08 - WDW - POP Century
12/07 - WDW - POR 09/07 - WDW - POP Century 05/07 - WDW - POP Century
Rang in 2007 onboard the Disney WONDER 12/06 - WDW - offsite (MH) 11/06 - WDW - Coronado Springs
09/06 - Disney Wonder - 11 Day Southern Caribbean 03/06 - Disney Magic - 7 Day Western Caribbean 03/06 - WDW - offsite (MH)
10/05 - WDW - offsite (MH)
05/05 - DL - Grand Californian 05/05 - Disney Magic - Maiden Panama Canal Crossing
12/04 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 11/04 - Disney Wonder - 4 day 10/01 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge
09/00 - WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter 09/99 - WDW - Caribbean Beach 06/98 - WDW - offsite
Mickey&JoshNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #40
disney4cam
Mouseketeer

Hi, just wanted to let you guys know that I did call the hotel to notify them. They didn't say much, but they did appreciate my call. I also reported DI&S on tripadvisor.

And for those that care, we were in room 2288.

We have been checking our stuff like crazy, but we didn't bring anything into the house without treating it, so hopefully we are okay. The biggest hassle are the bug bites. I am so glad it's winter, because I look so gross. Reading on line, it says that bites can take up to two weeks to show up, and can stay for three weeks. Ugh!
disney4cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #41
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
I'm joining you off-topic.

Thank you Jack. I'm glad to hear that your recovery has been going well (I sent a payer or two in your direction when your daughter posted about it and was happy to see you active on the boards again). I will make sure my dad is walking (he impressed the physical therapist at the hospital, so I'm hoping he continues to do well). 5 weeks seems amazing for being back to work. If you don't mind my asking, how are you feeling now? Do you feel almost back up to speed, or is a full recovery still a while off? I know the doctors had mentioned 3 months... Also, was it possible for you to enjoy Disneyland at 8 weeks? I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get the time off of work for the January trip, so we also have reservations for early February and I would love for my parents to be able to join us (if my dad is ready for it). I'm just wondering if that should even be on the table, or if it would be too much for him.
OFF topic: I have always been in good condition for an old guy, I am doing well...full recovery still a ways off but I will get there. Good luck to your dad..How old is he may I ask?

Jack

As far as BB's go, I took on PVI to no avail..They really just do not care. They would not deal with me, said my kids were lieing about the roaches, (even though reported)never return my followup calls, on and on. People will always stay there whether its reported anywhere, its the location and the money....all about the $$$$$ and as long as people stay there they won't do a darn thing.

Jack

Last edited by blackjackdelta; 12-07-2012 at 11:47 AM.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta
OFF topic: I have always been in good condition for an old guy, I am doing well...full recovery still a ways off but I will get there. Good luck to your dad..How old is he may I ask?

Jack
OT: My dad is the same way, he's 71, but his doctor says he's in great shape (body of a 50 yr old), aside from the heart problem... He's always been super active and is normally side-by-side with me for our Disneyland excursions (pushing my mom's wheelchair - I guess that's my job now).

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
DesertInn
Earning My Ears

Desert Inn & Suites Management Response

We take all pest claims very seriously at our hotel. In any allegation, we will immediately take the room off the market and call a professional pest inspection service. They will come in and not only do a thorough cleaning and inspection of the room that was claimed to have a pest, but also any adjacent/connecting rooms, as well as the housekeeping equipment. We apologize for the inconvenience that you and your family experienced during your stay and wanted to let you know that we gave you 100% refund of your stay since mere apologies won't remedy the situation.

The threat of bed bugs in hotels is a very minor and isolated problem. The number of incidents of bed bugs affects only a minute percentage of hotels guest rooms. According to research, bed bugs are brought into hotels by guests—it is not a hotel sanitation issue. We will definetely fine tune our housekeeping detection procedures since a trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff is one of the best lines of defense, along with having a good pest control provider if a problem were to be detected.

Teo Huerta
Anaheim Desert Inn

Last edited by DesertInn; 12-10-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: personalized post
DesertInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
Geemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertInn View Post
We take all pest claims very seriously at our hotel. In any allegation, we will immediately take the room off the market and call a professional pest inspection service. They will come in and not only do a thorough cleaning and inspection of the room that was claimed to have a pest, but also any adjacent/connecting rooms, as well as the housekeeping equipment. We apologize for the inconvenience that you and your family experienced during your stay and wanted to let you know that we gave you 100% refund of your stay since mere apologies won't remedy the situation.

The threat of bed bugs in hotels is a very minor and isolated problem. The number of incidents of bed bugs affects only a minute percentage of hotels guest rooms. According to research, bed bugs are brought into hotels by guests—it is not a hotel sanitation issue. We will definitely fine tune our housekeeping detection procedures since a trained and knowledgeable housekeeping staff is one of the best lines of defense, along with having a good pest control provider if a problem were to be detected.

Teo Huerta
Anaheim Desert Inn
Welcome to the DIS Board Teo.

I have a question.
In addition to a refund, is it possible to be moved to a new room?
Most travelers don't have the ability to move to another hotel if they find bed bugs where they had planned to stay.

Thank you for an explanation on how DI&S handles situations like this.
I sincerely hope this will set peoples minds at ease.

Geemo
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #45
ado121
DIS Veteran

We are staying at desert inn an suites right now. I did a thorough bed bug check before bringing the kids and luggage in. The front desk guy was great. The room is nice. And the location can't be beat. The breakfast sucks. But the price ant be beat either. We are in a huge room, have stayed here before, and love it.
ado121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: