Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #31
rillsung
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candfandm View Post
If you live in Louisiana or one of the states effected by the Real ID Act - you may need a passport beginning on 1/15/13, not for the cruise, but to fly domestically. Google "Real Act ID Louisiana" I don't remember which other states are also included.
New Mexico too! Awesome, isn't it?

rillsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #32
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Please tell me post # 31 is not true.

I find this difficult to believe. Customs Border and Protection is a federal agency. Is this another example of states trying to dictate federal policy? Possibly. We soon may need passports to cross state lines? Or is this new policy being implimented under our noses as usual somehow with little knowledge from the public?

If this is just to fly, soon it will be to cross state lines.

However that agency doesn't handle in country / intra state paperwork. Which agency does, I feel is up for debate. State, Commerce, DHS, DOI, Perhaps DOT.
TSA we all hope not ! ! !

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml

I tried to search the site and got nowhere. I, as others, would love an official link to such pararmeters indicating PP are necessary for domestic travel.

I find this info disturbing.

Last edited by Bear3412; 12-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
neg58
DIS Veteran

It's not that you can't fly without a passport, it's that some states haven't implimented the Patriot Act requirements for issuing driver's licenses and therefore those driver's licenses will not be accepted at proper ID at airports. The deadline for complying was, I believe, in Jan 2010, and they extended the period to comply.

When I got a new driver's license in California, I couldn't use my old license as ID; I had to provide a passport or original, certified BC. They did take my expired passport.

When I recently applied for a new license in FL, same thing except they wouldn't take the expired passport, so I got a new one. My California license has a lot of fraud protection, holograms, etc, on it and too 13 weeks for me to get it. My Florida license has a special star on it that means it passes the Homeland security requirements.

I work for the government so I can also present my government ID for airports (although some won't take it because it has no expiration date). You can present a military card or other government ID that meets the requirements. New Mexico refuses to meet the requirements (and always has) so if NM residents want to fly, soon they will need another form of ID.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
candfandm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
New Mexico refuses to meet the requirements (and always has) so if NM residents want to fly, soon they will need another form of ID.

Nancy
New Mexico, Louisiana, Arizona and I think about 4 or 5 more states but I don't know which ones. I called the New Orleans Airport and they connected me with someone from TSA and he said it is correct that we can't use our drivers license come Jan 15th if we live in any of the 7 or 8 states unless Homeland Security extends the date but I still have not seen anything in any of the airport web sites. Only the local newspapers have been reporting it.
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

That will kill tourism.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #36
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaminnie View Post
That will kill tourism.
Not really since other people can travel to those states with the correct ID.

Anyway, it will be extended. Again.

Nancy
Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #37
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Seeing earlier posts brought up a question for my wife - we both have our embossed BC's, but of course, my wife has a different last name after marriage. Will her BC and drivers license still work as ID since she has a different married last name???
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #38
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
Seeing earlier posts brought up a question for my wife - we both have our embossed BC's, but of course, my wife has a different last name after marriage. Will her BC and drivers license still work as ID since she has a different married last name???
I'd play it safe and bring some document that shows her before/after name. Did she have anything like a FF club card before she was married that is now in the new name with the same number?

This is why passports are easier!

Nancy
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I'd play it safe and bring some document that shows her before/after name. Did she have anything like a FF club card before she was married that is now in the new name with the same number?

This is why passports are easier!

Nancy
No, we were married 31 years ago. We used the same BC for her passport (which is now expired). From the info on the DCL website, we still should be good.
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #40
KerryFamily04
We love everything Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney
Maybe you could bring a copy of you marriage license to be on the safe side. Since between the BC and ML it would show the difference with the last name.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #41
scanne
OK, I must have really small ears
It is great to get exposure
Might get a tutorial from a student

Location: NJ but I wish I lived somewhere in Florida like Cinderella's Castle!

Wow! Thank you all for the replies...
I think we WILL get passports for all. Just to be safe.

Thank you all for the wonderful info!
1/92 CBR;12/96 ASMu; 6/98 CSR; 6/00 GF; 4/01 Disneyland; 6/01 Polynesian; 12/01 AK and GF; 8/03 WL; 2/04 ASMu; 10/04 WL; 7/05 Polynesian; 10/05 WL; 7/06 WL; 9/06 GF; 7/07 POP and Polynesian; 12/07 WL; 8/08 Beach Club; 6/09 Beach Club; 7/10 Portofino Bay and Polynesian; 8/11 Royal Pacific and WL; 10/11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge for MNSSHP; 7 and 8/12 Split stay at POR (Royal Guest Room) and Wilderness Lodge again ; 8/13 WL OFC!; 11/13 - Disneyland Paradise Pier; 2/2014 Wilderness Lodge/RunDisney!; 8/2014 Hard Rock Hotel/Beach Club - Stone Harbor Club/Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf for my 40th Birthday!

scanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #42
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

My wife and my son have the "official" looking BC that is the size of most certificates, but mine is a small one about the size of my driver's license. No problem. DCL didn't blink. I believe my wife brought the marriage certificate also, but don't remember if she actually needed it.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: