Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The post that I originally quoted said that they got the cards instead of the passports for their cruise because they were less expensive.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
brianvdb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The post that I originally quoted said that they got the cards instead of the passports for their cruise because they were less expensive.
Nice talking with ya....
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
candfandm
Mouseketeer

If you live in Louisiana or one of the states effected by the Real ID Act - you may need a passport beginning on 1/15/13, not for the cruise, but to fly domestically. Google "Real Act ID Louisiana" I don't remember which other states are also included.
candfandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

when you did your registration, it should have had your requirements that you need to take to the port with you.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Is a passport required for your cruise? No.

But I can't imagine traveling internationally without one. And we do live close to Canada and travel there as often as we can, but we still see no point in the enhanced licenses, passport cards, etc. True passports for us.

A previous poster made a good point, to make sure that your birth certificate is the right version. They now require both parents names on the BC, so you need to make sure that your certified BCs are the correct version.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanne
Do you need a passport for the Disney Cruise Line? We are taking a cruise on the Dream in December 2013. It's Bahamas (I think...) NYE cruise.

Just want to budget for the passports if need be. Thank you.
Here my .02...
If it's only a 3 or 4 night cruise (Bahamas/Castaway Cay) and you don't plan on cruising again. I would just cruise using your Birth certs & driver's licenses. Here's why...the only place you could possibly fly home from is Nassau and in the event of an emergency just go to the embassy and they will help you out. So I wouldn't spend the $$ for such a tiny chance when you could get one at Nassau if you really needed it.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
Is a passport required for your cruise? No.

But I can't imagine traveling internationally without one. And we do live close to Canada and travel there as often as we can, but we still see no point in the enhanced licenses, passport cards, etc. True passports for us.

A previous poster made a good point, to make sure that your birth certificate is the right version. They now require both parents names on the BC, so you need to make sure that your certified BCs are the correct version.
How can you require both names on a birth certificate?

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaminnie View Post
How can you require both names on a birth certificate?
Well my question when I first heard about it was opposite...there were states that did not have names of parents on a BC?

If your question is about situations where a father is unknown or someone doesn't want him to be on there, I imagine there's a way to accomplish this. I figure that it's just a spot for parent names that needs to be filled in in some way.

All we know is that there were BCs that used to be correct and now aren't valid because of that issue, so every has to make SURE of their BC validity. States change their BCs sometimes. Just think of the controversy with the last two elections, because a state changed the format of their BCs!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
neg58
DIS Veteran

My father's BC just says his late name and then 'boy'; no first name. He had a lot of trouble when he got his first passport and my grandfather had to submit an affidavit that he was indeed the 'boy' born at that time.

There are a lot of problems with BCs. I used to do name changes for the county, and most were for women changing their names after marriage or divorce, but a good number of them were for people with errors on their birth certificates so that the name on the BC didn't match the name on their ID, the name they had 'always' used. Some were the people using a nickname, but many were different spellings or just plain mistakes. The state department wasn't going to issue the passport in any name other than that on the BC, even though the SSN, driver's license and everything else had always been to Jeffery not Jeffrey, Debra not Debbie, or Browne not Brown. It was a hassle, and this was before 9/11 and Homeland Security.

Many people try to use the abrievated BC to get a passport or board a ship. You need the official one with the seal of the county clerk or secretary of state on it. Mine doesn't look fancy, and in fact is just a photocopy of microfish, but it has the official seal on it. My kids' are 'certificates' but have the seal too. When we were waiting in line for their 2nd passports, the woman behind me had a smaller version of the birth certificate, like an index card, but without all the information my kids' had on theirs, and it wasn't certified. She took off in a huff because they wouldn't accept it.

It really is so much easier to give them a passport when you get off. The officer doesn't have to decide if 'this' really is a Montana BC and whether the seal is official. One of my kids is foreign-born, so I'd have to have her certificate of foreign birth, plus the original C of C (which is an 8 x 10 glossy document with her photo that I really don't want to be lugging around) and then explain it all to the customs officer every time. Passport!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
floridaminnie

My problem is dd has a passport but it expires within six months of our cruise so she needs her bc that only has my name listed on it.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
floridaminnie

I just called DCL and it's ok.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaminnie View Post
My problem is dd has a passport but it expires within six months of our cruise so she needs her bc that only has my name listed on it.
No, the '6 month's remaining' on the passport is the rule of the country you might travel to, not the rule of the US. For example, China will not give you a visa unless you have 6 months remaining on your passport, but if you return to the USA from any country and your passport is still valid, you're fine.

My kids' birth certificates only have my name on them because I am their only parent. Never been a problem.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
floridaminnie

I also asked about future cruises on her current bc and I was also told I was fine.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
KerryFamily04
We love everything Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaminnie
We we traveled in may my sons expired 6 days after we got back and I had no trouble with it. It's really what your budget calls for and what your comfortable with.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

This is the state depts page with links to more info about the BC/parent name thing.

The problem, I believe, is that there were official BCs that had NO parent info on them. No spot for the info, not just that A parent was missing, or listed as unknown etc, but just no spot for that info.

neg, I'm in a funny spot with my name. BC is just first last because that is how I was named. In elementary school I chose a middle, and started using it. By the time I got a SSN, which at the time was gotten as you approached the age to work, I got it with first middle last. Drivers license has that, passport, everything but BC. With no actual name change, because at the time middle names were simply by usage. It was all fine then. About 12 years ago I wanted to change my middle, or at least drop it, and found out I would have to first change my name to include the middle, then change it again. Ugh.

Got married 9 years ago and neither of us changed our names, but I realized that that would have been the perfect time to try to accomplish what I wanted to do. Silly me.

Sorry for the . Went with what neg was saying though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: