DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
z28wiz
WDW ROCKS
With all the clapping going on, the TF hopes that z28wiz doesn't have "clapper" lamps in his house!!!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123

i see it more as a core group (not everyone) of the resale people on here bashing those who buy direct. i avoid the purchasing dvc forum for the most part because of this. Its one thing to kindly suggest resale as an option but to down someone for their personal decision at a direct purchase is unessesary.

i am fine with restrictions on future resale purchases and do not care how it affects the potential to sell my contract. i bought for the long run and did not get into it to recoup any money if we had any unforseen financial issues.
Yeah I agree with what you said. I bought about 10 contracts direct and about three resale. Each person has the right to buy however they wish. I think some people get bent out of shape because it's a poor financial situation to finance a timeshare. I could really care less what people do but some people are so into their ways they can't see both sides. FYI I have financed my original contract but paid cash for the others. So I'm on both sides!
CBR-7/02, POR-5/03,DCL WONDER 5/6/04-5/9/04, CBR 5/9/04-5/16/04, CORONADO SPRINGS 4/4/05-4/9/05 (HONEYMOON), WL- 4/9/05-4/16/05(HONEYMOON), CBR-12/2/05-12/10/05, WL-3/30/06-4/6/06, DL PARADISE PIER-6/13/08-6/17/08
HHI 4/29/10-5/1/10, AKLV 05/01/10-05/08/10 (Boys first trip), SSR 12/4/10-12/10/10, WLV 4/22-4/28/11 & DCL DREAM 4/28/11-5/1/11, HHI 8/22-8/28/11
ART OF ANIMATION 1/21-1/22 DCL DREAM 1/22-1/26/12 & BLT 1/26-1/29/12.DCL MAGIC 6/15/12-6/17
DCL DREAM 8/5/12-8/10/12, BCV 10/3/12-10/9/12
DCL FANTASY 01/19/13-01/26/13, WLV 8/2-8/8/13, DCL DREAM 8/8-8/11/13 BWV 10/2013 VGF 2/9-2/10/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/10-2/14/14 DISNEY MAGIC 2/14-2/17/14, VERO BEACH 7/2-7/7/14, BWV 10/9-10/12/14, DISNEY DREAM 2/13-2/16/15

z28wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

One mathematical problem with any type of restriction that allows more points to be used at your resort than you yourself can book at is that the potential exists mathematically for you to never be able to book at your resort once the window for outside points to book open. Right now every point can book everywhere so there is no chance of an imbalance.

An extreme example is say you own BLT resale, at 7 months everything is booked up by BLT owners and direct owners from other resorts (there are a lot of direct SSR owners). Suddenly there is no rooms you can book. What happens then? And this could happen each and every year. So suddenly if you can't book inside your home resort booking window, you are not going at all.

Easier options would be things like removing all perks from resale owners, changing the 7 month window to something smalle to give home resort owners a bigger window for getting into their home resort.

DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #33
jimim
DIS Veteran

hi everyone. i read through this thread and i'm a bit confused from what is "saying" might happen. are you all saying if changes happened then any resale contract bought before or after changes might be limited to only home resort or are you saying that if purchased before the changes you would be grandfathered in? but direct what not change anything?

thanks! we were going to purchase our first contract right after the holiday when we find what we want but this has me thinking. . . i would just make sure i buy where i want ot stay. 2 to 3 trips a year is killing us and we deff need to do something like dvc to help the cost out.

thanks!
jim
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
hi everyone. i read through this thread and i'm a bit confused from what is "saying" might happen. are you all saying if changes happened then any resale contract bought before or after changes might be limited to only home resort or are you saying that if purchased before the changes you would be grandfathered in? but direct what not change anything?

thanks! we were going to purchase our first contract right after the holiday when we find what we want but this has me thinking. . . i would just make sure i buy where i want ot stay. 2 to 3 trips a year is killing us and we deff need to do something like dvc to help the cost out.

thanks!
jim
First off this is all speculation at this point, nothing definite. I do find it upsetting that agents are sharing this info whether it be true or not.

But if it does come to pass; based entirely on what was shared by the OP, that at some date DVC would restrict the use of resale points only to their home resort. Those that had bought prior to that date would be grandfathered in.

Buy where you want to stay is always a good idea.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #35
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post
One mathematical problem with any type of restriction that allows more points to be used at your resort than you yourself can book at is that the potential exists mathematically for you to never be able to book at your resort once the window for outside points to book open. Right now every point can book everywhere so there is no chance of an imbalance.

An extreme example is say you own BLT resale, at 7 months everything is booked up by BLT owners and direct owners from other resorts (there are a lot of direct SSR owners). Suddenly there is no rooms you can book. What happens then? And this could happen each and every year. So suddenly if you can't book inside your home resort booking window, you are not going at all.

Easier options would be things like removing all perks from resale owners, changing the 7 month window to something smalle to give home resort owners a bigger window for getting into their home resort.
Wouldn't that be the case even now. At 11 months, all BLT owners whether they are resale or direct have equal opportunity to book their home resort, BLT. At 7 months, there could be nothing left for anyone including any BLT owners direct or not.

So I am confused in how the change would make it any different.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Bottom line is that we're dealing with a whole bunch of "what ifs," and if you're that concerned about it, you could always sell your points and just rent from others when you want to take a Disney vacation.
Of course, there are plenty of options, and no reason to worry about them until whatever may happen actually happens. My main point is that I do not believe Disney is likely to just say that points bought by resale can only be used at that home resort. I take no position on whether they can legally do it, just whether it is smart business or not. I don't think it is, and that is why I don't think they will do it.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #37
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
My recommendation still is to buy where you love to stay.
Or, if you don't want to stay at the same place every time, either rent points or just go somewhere other than a DVC resort.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #38
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Wouldn't that be the case even now. At 11 months, all BLT owners whether they are resale or direct have equal opportunity to book their home resort, BLT. At 7 months, there could be nothing left for anyone including any BLT owners direct or not.

Club member points are governed under Florida Statutes 721.05(25). Club member vacation requests at their Home Resort shall not result in a greater than one-to-one use right to use night requirement ratio.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #39
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
Of course, there are plenty of options, and no reason to worry about them until whatever may happen actually happens. My main point is that I do not believe Disney is likely to just say that points bought by resale can only be used at that home resort. I take no position on whether they can legally do it, just whether it is smart business or not. I don't think it is, and that is why I don't think they will do it.
And what people are trying to tell you is the only real business DVC does is selling points, so "smart business" for them is getting more people to buy direct and curtail the resale market. You seem to keep missing that point.

Yes, the Disney corporation makes money off resale buyers in the parks and restaurants. But DVC only makes money when someone buys a contract directly from them, therefore it's only logical that they will continue to find ways to prop up the direct market. The did one round of restrictions, there is no reason to think they wouldn't do it again.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Brownieone
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post

Except now, if you as a BLT owner couldn't book at 7 months, you could book elsewhere. Under the alleged proposal, you could not.
Brownieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #41
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownieone View Post
Except now, if you as a BLT owner couldn't book at 7 months, you could book elsewhere. Under the alleged proposal, you could not.
Ok now even more confused, Wasn't Doug talking about direct buyers booking at their home resort at 7 months.

Basically Missyrose has pretty much summed it up. If this comes to pass basically DVC wants to make sure that resale purchasers are not buying points that are selling for much less than what Grand Floridian and more than likely Polynesian will sell for.

They are after all a business that only makes money with new direct sales. It is their only income. In order for them to keep expanding they have to have revenue and they don't get that from a resale.

If I could buy a brand new car for the price of a used car at a used car lot, of course I would never go to the dealer and buy a new car. I do agree with Doug that removing all perks from resale purchases seems like a better place to start, especially the discount on passes, etc.

Last edited by Sammie; 12-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

How about this proposal, that could hypothetically be introduced at the same time as the GF villas go on sale:

1) Points purchased directly from DVC have the right to reserve at the home resort at the 11-month window, and at any other current or future DVC resorts at the 7 month window.

2) Points purchased by resale have the right to reserve at the home resort at the 11 month window, and at any DVC resorts developed prior to GF Villas at the 7 month window, but not including GF villas or any subsequent DVC resorts.

2a) Resale DVC points may be used at any subsequently developed DVC resort beginning X years (7? 10?) after opening.

This would be generalized so it could hold going forward, so that when you buy resale points, you get the right to reserve at your home resort, plus any of the "older" resorts, but not at the newer, premium ones that DVC is selling direct. I'm sure I haven't accounted for all sorts of scenarios, but I wonder if the general idea could be tweaked to work.

To me, this would add substantial value to buying points direct, without taking any value away from those who have bought (or would buy) via resale. You still can try to reserve at every resort that you were able to at the time you bought your points, not only your home resort. But direct points have greater flexibility and privilege for newly-developed resorts.

Again, without thinking about it much, I feel like this would tempt me toward buying direct. I'm not sure I would have, but it would be a real consideration. And yet if I didn't, I wouldn't feel like Disney was pissing on its existing customers either. Anyway, who knows what they might do, I was just thinking about something that would add value and entice people to buy direct.

Last edited by bighoo93; 12-02-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Clarified #2, thanks to Sammie.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #43
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
How about this proposal, that could hypothetically be introduced at the same time as the GF villas go on sale:

1) Points purchased directly from DVC have the right to reserve at the home resort at the 11-month window, and at any other current or future DVC resorts at the 7 month window.

2) Points purchased by resale have the right to reserve at the home resort at the 11 month window, and at any DVC resorts developed prior to GF Villas, but not including GF villas or any subsequent DVC resorts.

2a) Resale DVC points may be used at any subsequently developed DVC resort beginning X years (7? 10?) after opening.

This would be generalized so it could hold going forward, so that when you buy resale points, you get the right to reserve at your home resort, plus any of the "older" resorts, but not at the newer, premium ones that DVC is selling direct. I'm sure I haven't accounted for all sorts of scenarios, but I wonder if the general idea could be tweaked to work.

To me, this would add substantial value to buying points direct, without taking any value away from those who have bought (or would buy) via resale. You still can try to reserve at every resort that you were able to at the time you bought your points, not only your home resort. But direct points have greater flexibility and privilege for newly-developed resorts.

Again, without thinking about it much, I feel like this would tempt me toward buying direct. I'm not sure I would have, but it would be a real consideration. And yet if I didn't, I wouldn't feel like Disney was pissing on its existing customers either. Anyway, who knows what they might do, I was just thinking about something that would add value and entice people to buy direct.
#2 did you mean to say at 7 months.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
And what people are trying to tell you is the only real business DVC does is selling points, so "smart business" for them is getting more people to buy direct and curtail the resale market. You seem to keep missing that point.

Yes, the Disney corporation makes money off resale buyers in the parks and restaurants. But DVC only makes money when someone buys a contract directly from them, therefore it's only logical that they will continue to find ways to prop up the direct market. The did one round of restrictions, there is no reason to think they wouldn't do it again.
Believe me, nobody is being at all cryptic in communicating their belief that anything DVC can do to sell direct points and curtail resale is good business. Nobody is missing that. I just disagree with it.

Some things they can do would be good business, other things would not. It is, IMO, short-sighted to just look at whether something would compel people to purchase directly, without considering other ramifications. And to reiterate, I do not believe that Disney would ignore this. I've already explained in another post that the restrictions they introduced before were secondary benefits that were not fundamental to what people are purchasing in DVC. I'm sure some people didn't like it, but it doesn't seem to me that it impacted the value of the points significantly at all. Restricting the ability to use points at anywhere other than the home resort, on the other hand, does. So I don't think Disney will do this. But I have no inside info, this is just my opinion, and based on my understanding and experience with these types of decisions.

DVD is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company, as I understand it. Of course the unit would like to perform as well financially as it can, but it serves the good of the Walt Disney Company, not just itself. Its business practices and policies have to be considered in those terms, and not merely anything that promotes the sale of more direct points. If there were no Disney brand image in question, I still think it wouldn't be the right way to approach enhancing direct sales, but I would think there were a better chance of that mistake being made.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #45
GOOFY D
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Seems to be a risky move by Disney at best. It devalues the DVC IMO. If someone buys direct and have to sell for any reason, they are not getting nearly the value they paid for, because they are now selling a tainted product (does not have the perks that they paid for in a resale). If Disney does not guarantee a repurchase (which they can't), then people may think twice about spending so much money for something they cannot sell without taking a bath on it.

1988 - Polynesian * 1995 - Carribean Beach * 1996 - All Star Sports * 1997 - Candy Cane (Disneyland) * 1998 - All Star Music * 1999 - Contemporary * 1999 - Contemporary * 2000 - Disney Wonder /Coronado Springs * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2002 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2003 - All Star Movies * 2004 - Disney Magic (Eastern-San Juan) * 2006 - Contemporary * 2006 - Coronado Springs * 2007 - All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge * 2008 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2009 - All Star Movies * 2010 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2011 - All Star Sports * 2012 - Disney Fantasy (Western) * 2013 - Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani * 2013 - Bay Lake Tower * 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
GOOFY D is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: