DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #181
marie1981
Mouseketeer

I do not really agree with two systems.

It would also mean that, as a owner, I would have to deal with those two systems also. What happens if I need points from both systems to make a new reservation ?

I still beleive that there should be no difference between resale and direct because all points originated from direct sales. Resales points are just points that changed owner, period.

I can understand that resale market hurt Disney direct market, but I beleive more in incentives like 'free annual passes' , 'free fast pass' 'free TIW' anything they can think of to attract direct sales buyers, but I would not create two classes. We are the one that will suffer if we have to sell our DVC.
marie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #182
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Forgive me for asking but where did the rumour they were creating two systems come from? I hope not I was just getting my head around the resales no resort hopping potential. Was this suggested by a CM also?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #183
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Forgive me for asking but where did the rumour they were creating two systems come from?
It's not even a rumor. It's just discussion of something which other timeshares have implemented and is theoretically possible for DVC to mirror.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #184
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz

It's not even a rumor. It's just discussion of something which other timeshares have implemented and is theoretically possible for DVC to mirror.
I see thank you! From the UK so limited experience of timeshare. We only have the dvc because we liked the idea it was a club rather than something static.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #185
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1981 View Post
I do not really agree with two systems.

It would also mean that, as a owner, I would have to deal with those two systems also. What happens if I need points from both systems to make a new reservation ?

I still beleive that there should be no difference between resale and direct because all points originated from direct sales. Resales points are just points that changed owner, period.

I can understand that resale market hurt Disney direct market, but I beleive more in incentives like 'free annual passes' , 'free fast pass' 'free TIW' anything they can think of to attract direct sales buyers, but I would not create two classes. We are the one that will suffer if we have to sell our DVC.
All you truly own is a given home resort. It really doesn't matter what the existing members want if DVD decided to go this way. They only way to make either this type of system or a VIP system work it to make those on the outside feel pain. You can't do it simply by adding to the new option, you have to take away from those in the old option in one way or another.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #186
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie1981 View Post
Can someone clarify for me If I buy points resale they have certain restrictions on them, but if I buy points from DVC that they have bought through ROFR they dont, Are they both not resale points is this even legal?
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #187
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by going/again View Post
Can someone clarify for me If I buy points resale they have certain restrictions on them, but if I buy points from DVC that they have bought through ROFR they dont, Are they both not resale points is this even legal?
If you buy resale now, you are NOT buying from Disney. Disney sold it already, and you are buying from another owner. However, if Disney ROFR a contract, they sold it once, are buying it back and repackaging it to you as a direct purchase.

Think of it like you buy a chevy, but in 3 years you trade it in to a Honda dealer. They resell it, and Chevy makes no profit from it. But if you trade it back in to a chevy dealer, they resell it and keep the profits themselves.

Except, it's not a car, where depreciation is involved. Points are points. If you buy them from Disney whether new from AKV, or ROFR points from BCV, they are still being bought from Disney, and they make a profit, and you get direct purchase status. If you buy those BCV points from resale, Disney makes no money off it, and sets the restrictions. It's perfectly legal, as it has been implemented and done already. It's really up to you if you want to pay Disney a higher price without the restrictions in place.

For me, I chose resale, because the restrictions were not something I planned on using anyway, but for others it might be a different story. For Disney to impose New restrictions, that is their perogative and I don't have an issue with it, as long as it doesn't destroy or degrade the Club as a whole. If current users encounter difficulty in bookings or reservations because of restrictions they put on a certain segment, I would see it as a detriment to the whole and that would be a shame.

Offering perks for direct purchases would be a good customer service move, but not necessarily the best business move.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #188
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
If you buy resale now, you are NOT buying from Disney. Disney sold it already, and you are buying from another owner. However, if Disney ROFR a contract, they sold it once, are buying it back and repackaging it to you as a direct purchase.

Think of it like you buy a chevy, but in 3 years you trade it in to a Honda dealer. They resell it, and Chevy makes no profit from it. But if you trade it back in to a chevy dealer, they resell it and keep the profits themselves.

Except, it's not a car, where depreciation is involved. Points are points. If you buy them from Disney whether new from AKV, or ROFR points from BCV, they are still being bought from Disney, and they make a profit, and you get direct purchase status. If you buy those BCV points from resale, Disney makes no money off it, and sets the restrictions. It's perfectly legal, as it has been implemented and done already. It's really up to you if you want to pay Disney a higher price without the restrictions in place.

For me, I chose resale, because the restrictions were not something I planned on using anyway, but for others it might be a different story. For Disney to impose New restrictions, that is their perogative and I don't have an issue with it, as long as it doesn't destroy or degrade the Club as a whole. If current users encounter difficulty in bookings or reservations because of restrictions they put on a certain segment, I would see it as a detriment to the whole and that would be a shame.

Offering perks for direct purchases would be a good customer service move, but not necessarily the best business move.
Just to add to your car analogy, points do depreciate sort of like a car, as the end date of the resort's contracts draws closer. Fewer years on the contracts = less value of the points.

In addition, I would add buying from Disney direct at a sold out resort is sort of like getting a used car, but from the dealer who has certified it. Costs more to do that, but you get the warranty coverage, just like buying "used" points from Disney costs more, but you paying that in the hope that restrictions will not affect you.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #189
going/again
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post

I get all this BUT they are both second hand points, just like your chevy is still second hand, chevy cant sell it as new for a second time can they?
going/again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #190
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I get all this BUT they are both second hand points, just like your chevy is still second hand, chevy cant sell it as new for a second time can they?
Right. The difference is really direct vs. secondary market.
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #191
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
When Disney acquires contracts either through ROFR, dues or mortgage foreclosures or take backs, they strip the points and resell them as new keeping the same UY, resort, and contract end date. OKW is the exception because the end date has been moved out.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #192
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As to legal, it depends on what you're talking. For the items that are protected in the POS and can't be changed unilaterally, it's not legal, for everything else, it is. So far the only differences have been none protected, non guaranteed options and to date, only things that are not written into the POS in any way. All of these items could be stopped tomorrow for every owner, qualified or not. The current differences are simply using points for DCL, CC, DC & ABD. There's not really anything of substance that they can take away that one should buy counting on. Legally one can reserve at their home resort and any other club resorts the same for ALL owners for resorts that are still in the club.

Quote:
It's not really applicable. A better analogy would be a certified used car from the dealer compared to a used car from a non dealer (lot or private). Once that room is used a single time, they're all used and not new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
When Disney acquires contracts either through ROFR, dues or mortgage foreclosures or take backs, they strip the points and resell them as new keeping the same UY, resort, and contract end date. OKW is the exception because the end date has been moved out.

Bill
This option was included in the POS from day 1.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #193
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can someone clarify for me If I buy points resale they have certain restrictions on them, but if I buy points from DVC that they have bought through ROFR they don't, Are they both not resale points is this even legal?
When we say that resale contracts have restrictions, the word "resale" really means that the contract was purchased on the resale market, i.e., from someone other than Disney. So the issue isn't whether the points you bought formerly belonged to someone else because you could buy resale points from Disney too. The issue is, who was the seller. If you purchase your contract from Disney you have no restrictions. If you purchase from someone other than Disney then you don't get the same perks that the Disney customers get.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #194
Paula Sedley-Burke

So do Disney sell sold old resorts such as SSR direct that they have got from resale new DVC folks can buy? Can I buy WLV for example today from disney and from what you useful people have explained I retain the hopping rights etc because it is a direct purchase. I would personally rather pay extra for this ( depending on cost! ) I did not know it was an option. I thought it was just what they had left of AKV and BLT. I was not offered this. Anybody know what they charge per point?

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #195
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Yes, you may buy the older sold out resorts directly from Disney. It is not what the guides are pushing though. DVCnews tend to have good info on current pricing. Check here: http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: