Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
piglet50
DIS Veteran

heartbleed virus question - Norton

has anyone received an email from Norton Antivirus about the Heartbleed virus? I deleted it without opening but wondered if anyone else had received an email like this.
piglet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Norton by Symantec
Protecting the Stuff that matters.™

To view this message as a web page, click here.

You’ve likely heard of Heartbleed over the past week. We wanted to share a bit about what it is, steps we have taken to protect our customers and steps you can take to protect yourself across the Web.

Some versions of Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 were impacted. On April 10th, we distributed updates to these impacted products to stop and block Heartbleed. Norton Accounts used to sign into Norton.com were not impacted. Please refer to our FAQ for more information on how we’re defending against this vulnerability.

Why Heartbleed affects everyone on the Internet

Heartbleed is a bug in some versions of OpenSSL, a set of software tools used widely across the Web for security. This bug may reveal your name, passwords and other private information.

If you visited a website that uses a vulnerable version of OpenSSL during the last two years, your personal information may be compromised. You can use this tool: http://safeweb.norton.com/heartbleed to check if a particular website is currently impacted.

How to protect yourself

Due of the complex nature of this vulnerability, changing your passwords before sites update their version of OpenSSL won’t fully protect you. Here are some simple steps you can take as a precaution:

• Change your passwords on any website that contains sensitive information about you. You should first confirm that the site does not contain the Heartbleed vulnerability by using this tool.

• If you’ve reused passwords on multiple sites, it’s especially important to change them. To change your Norton Account password, visit manage.norton.com and click Account Information.

• Beware of phishing emails and type website addresses directly in your browser instead of clicking on a link through an email.

• Monitor your bank and credit card accounts for unusual activity.

It may take an extended period of time for all the sites affected by Heartbleed to fix this vulnerability. To determine if a website is vulnerable to Heartbleed using this tool. We recommend you only exchange personal or sensitive information such as your credit card number if the site is not affected by Heartbleed.

You can learn more about Heartbleed and its impact to consumers by checking out our FAQ or by following the Norton Protection Blog.

Stay Safe Online

Norton

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Heartbleed is not a virus, it's a security flaw in many websites and that use OpenSSL for encrypting data over the Internet.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I also received it.

See this link:
http://safeweb.norton.com/heartbleed

The interesting thing is they list AOL is not affected. Around the same time as that came out, my AOL got hacked and sent a weight loss site to my entire address book. Could have been a coincidence but I changed my password.
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #5
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Yahoo was one of the biggest names that was affected. I had a few accounts there that I needed to go change passwords to.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #6
piglet50
DIS Veteran

thanks so much for the replies. I get paranoid about opening emails sometimes and wanted to see if others got this one.
piglet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #7
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
Yahoo was one of the biggest names that was affected. I had a few accounts there that I needed to go change passwords to.
yahoo, facebook, google... all affected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet50 View Post
thanks so much for the replies. I get paranoid about opening emails sometimes and wanted to see if others got this one.
its not necessary to change passwords as its possible your password wasnt leaked, but its just in your interest to do so... so unless you use the same password for all your accounts, then you should probably change them...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: