Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
How is the identity part any different checking in at MCO as compared to DCL terminal..just trying to understand what you mean. You still have to show your documents and your passport/BC with photo ID at the MCO check in counter.

MJ
But then you are released into the world again. Person A could check in with the correct documentation, and Person B could get on the bus and thus the cruise.

Once you give someone the KTTW card, they could hand it to another. Now, anyone with an ID can get into the terminal and the switch could happen there, but at least that is all monitored.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #17
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
But then you are released into the world again. Person A could check in with the correct documentation, and Person B could get on the bus and thus the cruise.

Once you give someone the KTTW card, they could hand it to another. Now, anyone with an ID can get into the terminal and the switch could happen there, but at least that is all monitored.

Nancy
This is true, but don't they take your photo with the KTTW card so it is in the computer system? Also, the person would need to still go through regular security at the port, even if it was a different person. I'm not sure how this makes a difference security-wise.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Donna M
DIS Veteran
 
Donna M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
But then you are released into the world again. Person A could check in with the correct documentation, and Person B could get on the bus and thus the cruise.

Once you give someone the KTTW card, they could hand it to another. Now, anyone with an ID can get into the terminal and the switch could happen there, but at least that is all monitored.

Nancy
Every time you get on the ship your picture shows up on their screen. There would be a problem if the person standing ready to board the ship doesn't match the photo on the ID card.
__________________
Donna M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #19
bzzelady
DIS Veteran
 
bzzelady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Danville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,153

Well this just stinks. Seems to be the motto of our times...let's take something that works well and break it
__________________
Missing Dad...6/6/45-6/3/12

Me DH DD14 DM
bzzelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna M View Post
Every time you get on the ship your picture shows up on their screen. There would be a problem if the person standing ready to board the ship doesn't match the photo on the ID card.
yup- DH was returning our rental car and I was able to check in for him and they gave me his KTTW card bcs they had a recent photo of him already on file. He never had to check in at the port- I just gave him his card and we were able to board. I was stopped bcs my picture didn't match, but it was a temporary computer glitch and when she swiped my card again, the correct picture came up so they do pay attention to those pics.
__________________
Trips to the World
2001(AKL/Swan/WL) 2003(AKL/Poly) 2004(Poly) 2005(AKL)2x, 2006(Poly) 2008(WL/Hard Rock) 2008(POR) 2009(BWI) 2010 (AKL Kidani) 2012 (POR), Nov '13 (BC)
Trips to the Land
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14


firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
OMD13
Mouseketeer
 
OMD13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 295

We are going on a cruise in March and staying at the Hyatt the night before and taking Disney bus to the port. Is this going to change?
OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #22
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran
 
Dizzyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!
Posts: 3,153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzelady View Post
Well this just stinks. Seems to be the motto of our times...let's take something that works well and break it
I agree.
__________________
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02, 1/15 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~~ Dolphin 12/13 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #23
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,270
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD13 View Post
We are going on a cruise in March and staying at the Hyatt the night before and taking Disney bus to the port. Is this going to change?
If it goes the way it's sounding, they should still have the bus but you won't actually check in until you arrive at the cruise port.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #24
brianvdb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: California, USA
Posts: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom View Post
yup- DH was returning our rental car and I was able to check in for him and they gave me his KTTW card bcs they had a recent photo of him already on file.
Wow... this means that, in theory, I could be cruising right now... and not even know it.
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,311

So say this actually does happen... And we stay at the Hyatt the night before the cruise. We've checked into the cruise online prior to coming and have a boarding time of say 1:30. What then, do we go down to Magical Express in the airport and get on a much later bus to the port now, after noon? Just thinking of possible scenarios here...
__________________
My happy place

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #26
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
So say this actually does happen... And we stay at the Hyatt the night before the cruise. We've checked into the cruise online prior to coming and have a boarding time of say 1:30. What then, do we go down to Magical Express in the airport and get on a much later bus to the port now, after noon? Just thinking of possible scenarios here...
Anyone taking the DCL transfer buses from MCO to Port Canaveral doesn't have to worry about the port arrival time assigned by the on-line check-in. Arriving by bus supersedes the port-arrival assignment.

If/when DCL stops doing the airport check-in, their DCL transfer buses would run just the same, but when you get to the port you'd have to go through security (as usual), show your documents, get your picture taken (unless they already have it on file from another DCL cruise), have your credit card scanned, get your KTTW card, and your boarding group number. Doing it at the airport keeps the lines at the cruise terminal from getting too long. Perhaps DCL figures the lines aren't that long so they want to keep everything centralized at the port? DCL used to allow guests to do their check-in at the WDW hotels, but discontinued that about two years ago.

Last edited by jdb in AZ; 12-02-2012 at 06:53 AM.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Anyone taking the DCL transfer buses from MCO to Port Canaveral doesn't have to worry about the port arrival time assigned by the on-line check-in. Arriving by bus supersedes the port-arrival assignment.

If/when DCL stops doing the airport check-in, their DCL transfer buses would run just the same, but when you get to the port you'd have to go through security (as usual), show your documents, get your picture taken (unless they already have it on file from another DCL cruise), have your credit card scanned, get your KTTW card, and your boarding group number. Doing it at the airport keeps the lines at the cruise terminal from getting too long. Perhaps DCL figures the lines aren't that long so they want to keep everything centralized at the port? DCL used to allow guests to do their check-in at the WDW hotels, but discontinued that about two years ago.
So are you saying that maybe we'd be able to still get on that first bus at the airport, and get on the ship much earlier than the online time given to us? I know that is happening now, but with this change of no airport check in, who decides who gets on that first bus? All so confusing. We all need to be patient, they'll tell us soon enough.
__________________
My happy place

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,311

Ok I have an official update. I went right to the source, and called DCL this morning. They confirmed there will be no change. After speaking to a regular DCL rep, they then gave me the number for the embarkation dept themselves to confirm even further. They too confirmed they are continuing the airport service as is. She had no idea why a random date of December rumor would have even started. There is no such thing. I mean, think about it. DCL would have contacted all Dec. and Jan. cruisers by now if such a change would be occurring. None of it makes sense. So rest assured everyone, DCL is still and will be, checking guests in at the airport.
__________________
My happy place


Last edited by Jillpie; 12-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
majermom
majermom
 
majermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 79

So choosing to skip the DCL transportation this time around and do check in at the port. Does this change mean loooong lines at Port Canaveral while everybody checks in for the cruise???
__________________
majermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?
 
Jillpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ma., BCV
Posts: 8,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by majermom View Post
So choosing to skip the DCL transportation this time around and do check in at the port. Does this change mean loooong lines at Port Canaveral while everybody checks in for the cruise???
There will be no change. Just check my post above yours .
__________________
My happy place

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: