Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
StephMS
Earning My Ears

Just Back...My Thoughts

We returned home yesterday from a 5 night stay at WDW. We spent our first night (Friday, 5/24) at POFQ. On Saturday, my hubby surprised me with an upgrade to the POLY for the remainder of our trip.

We did not have any negative experiences. Although the parks were crowded everyone seemed to be well behaved and enjoying themselves. I didn't notice very many people walking into others because they were on cellphones, and there were far less scooters than we've seen on previous trips. People were decent on the buses, monorails, boats, etc. Although the parks were crowded, we always managed to have seats and only once or twice were there a few people (teenaged boys) standing.

One thing I did notice was the amount of kids between the ages of 7-10 in strollers. It wasn't like the family had a younger child and maybe this kid was just taking a short ride. We kept seeing this over and over. (actually hundreds of times over 4 days) These kids were always playing on a cellphone oblivious to everything around them. I know there are some issues out there that may require this sort of thing, but these kids were crammed into "toddler" strollers. If we had only seen it once or twice I would have written it off as anything from a bad blister to some other medical problem....but we witnessed this an insane number of times.

All of our meals were excellent (even H&V where the chef actually came to our table to make sure we were enjoying our meal). The breakfast buffet at Trails End was wonderful. Disney has some wonderful CMs working there! We also ate at The Wave, Liberty Tree Tavern, ESPN, and Kona. We tried to get into Ohana the entire time we were there (this was a quickly planned trip and all ADRs were gone by the time we decided to go). We also had a few quick service meals and we have no complaints there.

Every CM we encountered this trip was friendly and personable. Anyone we had contact with was extremely helpful and positive. Especially at the POLY.

Which brings me to my final thoughts...The Poly was outstanding and definitely worth staying there. I told my DH on the way home that I would rather have a 2night trip and stay at the Poly than a week anywhere else. It was that great. DH and I were married 20 yrs. last Oct. It was our dream to spend that week at the Poly. Due to some really bad circumstances with serious illness in our family, and other issues, we just weren't able to make it. DH was telling our check-in CM about this and she gave us the actual flower leis they give newlywed/anniversary couples and we returned one night to find the most delicious chocolate covered strawberries in our room. I cannot say enough good things about the Poly. It was so relaxing. This was the first trip we ever made without the kids and our goal was to rest and relax. The Poly made that possible. I cannot recommend it enough...like I said if you can only stay one night...DO IT!!!!

Overall, it was a wonderful trip. I have visited WDW over 25 times since 1972 and this was one of the best. Other than missing our kids, I wouldn't change a thing about it. I was concerned since lately I've read several reports about surly CMs, horrible guest encounters, rampant scooter/wheelchair abuse, etc, etc, but we didn't experience any of that. I hope everyone going in the future has as wonderful a time as we did!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Glad you had a great trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

Sounds wonderful! So glad you had a great time. I really want to try the Poly sometime. Next time I get a 40% pin code (have only received it once) it will be the Poly for sure!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

I am glad you had a good time. We have always found the Poly CMs to be a little above the rest. We own at BLT but spend a descent amount of time at the Poly. It is our most favorite resort.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Nice report!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

So glad you both had such a wonderful time...we celebrated our 20th anniversary in October, too!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Missytara
I'm all ears!

One of my favorite places to eat dinner the last few years was GF Cafe. This year I booked it and when I saw the latest menu, I was a bit disappointed.

I decided just yesterday (we arrive the 15th) to take my chances and see if I could change my dining. I didn't want to go too far out of the way, because it is our last night and MK is open until 1 am. What a wonderful way to end our last full day.

I scrolled through the 15 or so choices that were available and most of them were resorts that were farther away and would take some transfers to get to. We already had several resort dinners planned around park days and I didn't want to stray too far.

The last one all the way down at the bottom of the page was Kona - I had never even throught of that; still on the monorail or boat loop - not that far to go and the food choices and style of the restaurant look just our speed.

I am sure when I get to the Poly, it will be another one of my "wishes" to stay at some point along the way!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

glad you had a great time! Nice report.

I always loved the Poly, too. It's been a very long time since I stayed there (I think 20 years). I have been leaning towards BLT (my home resort) lately. But Poly has always been a favorite.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
One of my favorite places to eat dinner the last few years was GF Cafe. This year I booked it and when I saw the latest menu, I was a bit disappointed.

I decided just yesterday (we arrive the 15th) to take my chances and see if I could change my dining. I didn't want to go too far out of the way, because it is our last night and MK is open until 1 am. What a wonderful way to end our last full day.

I scrolled through the 15 or so choices that were available and most of them were resorts that were farther away and would take some transfers to get to. We already had several resort dinners planned around park days and I didn't want to stray too far.

The last one all the way down at the bottom of the page was Kona - I had never even throught of that; still on the monorail or boat loop - not that far to go and the food choices and style of the restaurant look just our speed.

I am sure when I get to the Poly, it will be another one of my "wishes" to stay at some point along the way!
Kona is one of our family's favorites, both for breakfast and dinner.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I am glad you enjoyed the Poly. I will be there over July 4th and I haven't stayed there for many years. I am really looking forward to it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great trip!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Cotillard
Mouseketeer

So happy for you. I love the Polynesian too

º Grand Floridian July 2005 ○ Grand Floridian CL Dec 2005 ○ Polynesian April 2006 ○ Polynesian CL March 2007 ○ Boardwalk Inn CL April 2008 ○ Bay Lake Tower May 2010 ○ Beach Club June 2010 ○ Wilderness Lodge CL Oct 2010 ○ AKL CL Feb 2011 º Boardwalk Inn October 2011 º POR Royal Room March 2012 º Beach Club June 2013 º
Old 05-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
StephMS
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for your nice replies. To all of you headed to the Poly in the future, I hope your stay is as nice as ours was...I can't help but be a little jealous!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

So glad you had a great trip! We are heading for our 2nd Poly stay in August. We love it too. It truly is our favorite resort and can't wait to be there again! It was our 15th anniversary last Aug and we had planned to take a trip - just dh and I to celebrate, but we decided on a quick spontaneous trip with the kids to Disney and wound up staying at POFQ. We like it there too, but Poly is where our heart is. We'll be there during our 16th anniversary this time and with kids, but it'll still be a celebration!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
grammimouse
Mouseketeer

DH and I were there in October for our 30th wedding anniversary. We were given those " special " leis also. I dried them out and still smile whenever I glance at them. It is such a happy memory that we will always cherish !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: