Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm here Sam! Wow, great job with the TR; it's like I'm right there with you. I love TRs like this, where a Disney newbie is in awe the whole time. That's so great that your mom wants to go back already.

Can't wait for more.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
I would love to do a Mother/Daughter trip. Looks like the perfect morning.
It was PERFECT. I tad chilly for shorts between the bus stop and the park but other than that, totally perfect. My goals were adventureland and frontierland before we left and we did! It was even a long shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm here Sam! Wow, great job with the TR; it's like I'm right there with you. I love TRs like this, where a Disney newbie is in awe the whole time. That's so great that your mom wants to go back already.

Can't wait for more.
Thanks! She totally underestimated everything I had been telling her about Disney. It just blew up her expectations. I even showed her the History Channel Modern Marvels episode and it didn't do it much justice at all.

I'm so excited she wants to go back but she wants to stay at the Poly and so she says 2015! AH I can't wait 700+ days to go back! Oh well, I guess I should be grateful. Lol
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Will Our Stomachs Survive?

We hopped on the monorail and headed to the TTC to transfer to Epcot and as we're going around on the ramps to the Epcot monorail we see the biggest crowd of people EVER head up the ramp and onto the monorail (we wouldn't have made it to that monorail anyways, we were clear on the other side).
At this point I'm starting to get nervous. Epcot was a 9/10 that day and I had never experiences crowds higher than a 5 and the monorail was going to be PACKED. I mean, look at all those people going to Epcot!
We made our way over and as we had just missed a monorail we were first in line for the next one.

No one else ever came? Everyone had a seat. So I'm not sure what that hoard of people was (I'm talking HUNDREDS of people) but I'll chalk it up to poor timing.

We showed up a little early with time to kill before the World Showcase opening so we snapped some pictures. We were going to head straight for Greece because I heard the lines can get long but since it was 10:30 by the time we got through bag check we had so time to kill with no rides to ride. Soarin Fast Passes were for right in the middle of dinner and I wasn't able to get over there for a window that would work so we missed out on that. Rides weren't the priority for today, anyways!

We headed over to Club Cool, which was packed, we had to wait for a machine. The only ever time I'd been in there we had the whole place to ourselves!
Now, I had been planning this for a while. I had sent my mom SEVERAL detailed itineraries with pictures and details of EVERYTHING. I planted several "the beverly is sooo good" statements in several documents I'd been sending her way all year. And the time had come to watch her drink it!
I said "mom, you have to try the Beverly first, it's totally the best one"

She liked it? Ugh. So anti-climatic. She goes "mmm!"
WHAT.
She then admitted it was only okay but she didn't want to hurt my feelings. Since when! (my family gives it and takes it a lot, making fun of each other is fun, I guess!)

Oh well, the only part of that experience she didn't like was that she found it seriously stupid that you can't buy bottles of the fancy soda so we contemplated why as we headed over to world showcase for some serious eating. But not before we stopped and read about cranberry bogs!

We got over to the World Showcase at about 10:45 (and if you've been paying attention you'll know that somewhere, previous times were wrong because it just doesn't make sense how much we did between leaving MK at 10:30 and getting to World Showcase after Club Cool at 10:45, but I know for sure we were about 15 minutes early to World Showcase so who really cares!)

To our supreme satisfaction they had opened the booths early! So it was time to dig.
We only had ONE day at Food and Wine and we had dinner reservations at 6:45 so we decided we were going to split every food sample so we could taste the optimum amount of food!
At Greece, I ordered the Chicken Souvlaki and my mom was SUPPOSED to order the GriDDled cheese.
She walks right up and loudly states "I'D LIKE THE GRILLED CHEESE PLEASE!"
And everyone laughed at her.
"mom...griddled. It's griddled cheese"

*sigh*

The meat was good, the sauce was good, the pita was good.
Sauce to meat ratio=not good. Sauce is a meal enhancer not a main course!
We enjoyed it, but like most things it could have been slightly better. I'm pretty sure I ate some sauce with a spoon there for a bit. It was tasty, tasty, fattening sauce

OMG. So good. So, so, so good. This was definitely in our top 3 F&W entrees of the day. It was unique and tasty and honestly, you can't go wrong with cheese. We think ours was slightly old since it was kind of chewy but it was still so good.

We attempted to not waste forks and just carry one with us but that lasted between Greece and going to the restroom after eating at Greece. We felt bad for about 5 seconds but we were at Disney World and we were not going to feel bad about being slightly wasteful

Next on the agenda was Canada! Canada is my favorite because they gave the world hockey and there is nothing better on this planet than hockey (and yes, I'm quite depressed thank you very much. Greedy poopheads).

On the menu here was the filet, cheese soup, and apple ice wine.

My verdict: Truffle sauce= to die for, mushrooms=yummy, steak=overcooked. I assume they kind of have to overcook it since it's not made to order. My mom likes her beef thoroughly dead and I like mine barely dead. So she enjoyed it but man, it could have been good if it were mooing. It was, however, tender.

THIS IS #2. On Sam's List of Deliciousness. So smokey and delicious. And compared to the others, great portion size! Griddled cheese I liked more that my mom, but we both agreed that this was easily our favorite so far and only one thing the rest of the day would even compare.

COULD THIS BE SMALLER?! Not even joking you. Look how small that is! And the women in my family are graced with tiny clown hands that are comically small compared to our arms.
Poor value
Tasted fantastic.
I wanted a jug of it!
I will admit that it seemed a little stronger than most wines so maybe that explains it. But I found myself wanting more!

I liked this fence so we took pictures with it and then I tagged all my Canadian friends in it on Facebook for fun. Okay, I tagged one in it. The rest would get less kicks. Not worth my time. More kicks per tag I say.

The camera strap makes it's appearance here. Didn't notice until weeks later. ugh

Can you tell where we're headed?

FRANCE!

We got creme brulee, escargot, and cocktails!

Mom thought it was good but we're so used to her crappy grainy creme brulee that we've grown to prefer it cooked incorrectly.

That's her Sparking Pomegranate Kir. Very tasty! She's a huge fan of Pomegranate cocktails and this was tasty. Nice and strong and fizzy.

I got the Cosmo Slush which I forgot to take a picture of....It was also quite tasty!

And the escargot! This was my first experience with escargot. I was disappointed. I thought it would be more exotic! The bread was so deliciously garlicy and buttery that the escargot had very little taste. It was just like a chewy lump in the middle of your bite of bread! It was good of course, just was expecting something weird!

We decided to sit on our bench until our cocktails were done, just in case we passed another one we wanted while walking. It's hard to double fist and take pictures!

As you can see, it wasn't too busy yet. We had yet to wait in a single line for food and the crowds were fairly non-existent. We had found benches near every booth to sit and eat at. Such a pleasant day so far!

Next we headed to the New Zealand booth where we would encounter our favorite of the Food & Wine.
Was it...the Seared Sea Scallop with Kumara Red Curry Puree and Apple Radish Salad?
Or....Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney?

That lamb meatball blew my whole world. So fabulous. The bread that holds it was a tad soggy but the meatball had such great flavor and the tomato chutney really complimented it well!

The scallop was a tad bland but the sweet potato puree she said was delicious! I find scallops bland in general. I pretty much only like my dad's because he grills them so they taste like grill instead of nothing.

Next we decided to walk around and digest a bit before our next booth and luckily, Japan was right around the corner. My favorite World Showcase gift shop! We headed off in that direction, resort mug in tow...

We shopped and then decided mom just HAD to pick a pearl! Did I mention it's my mom's b-day this day? And she just had a super lucky day apparently...

She got a grey pearl! They're SO pretty. And she said she preferred white...the anger! I wanted a grey one SO bad when I did it last year (of course I lost the ring...it has to be in my house somewhere but she offered to trade and I couldn't )
It was beautiful and everyone just told her how lucky she was. I tired to be pissed but I was too happy that she was having a great time and a lucky day!

Okay, Broncos game in a half hour and I think I'm at my picture limit so I'll leave you here! What's gonna happen to that resort mug? Will we ever be able to go 15 minutes without needing a restroom? We'll see!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Great picture of you and your mom in France.

You can tell what a great time she's having from that picture of her posing with her sweet potato puree. She looks like she's having a blast!

I am wondering what you'll do with that mug. I see people with them in the parks and I've yet to figure out where they actually use them.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Great picture of you and your mom in France.

You can tell what a great time she's having from that picture of her posing with her sweet potato puree. She looks like she's having a blast!

I am wondering what you'll do with that mug. I see people with them in the parks and I've yet to figure out where they actually use them.
She would bring coffee in it in the mornings and then we'd fill it up with water. She finagled it onto her purse in some non-obtrusive way. But it's a serious pain to lug around for barely using it...
And this day it was an extra pain!

And she had a blast! And everything was a surprise because apparently she recalled absolutely nothing from every menu I printed out and the five page itinerary! Lol
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
GBChicinMaine
Earning My Ears

I'm here! (Nov FB page) Your report is cracking me up!

Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/11/11
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/24/09
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 2/21/08
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 5/3/07
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 1/11/07
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBChicinMaine View Post
I'm here! (Nov FB page) Your report is cracking me up!
Yay! Glad you're enjoying it!
Who are you from the group? I couldn't figure it out based on your info lol
I tried!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Joining in! I followed along with your PTR, so only naturally, I am here for the ride. Looks like your mom is having a blast so far (and you as well!)

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
Joining in! I followed along with your PTR, so only naturally, I am here for the ride. Looks like your mom is having a blast so far (and you as well!)
She loved the whole trip and it was probably my favorite so far! Thanks for reading along!
You're trip is just around the corner, yeah? How exciting is that!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam33 View Post
Next on the agenda was Canada! Canada is my favorite because they gave the world hockey and there is nothing better on this planet than hockey (and yes, I'm quite depressed thank you very much. Greedy poopheads).
Love your TR so far, and as a fellow hockey fan (Love my Lightning!!!!!), I'm also quite depressed. BRING BACK HOCKEY!!!

Love that you guys are from Denver. The AVS are my second favorite team. I served my Mormon mission there and loved the people and the scenery. I would move there, but then I'd be too far from Disney and my Lightning.

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Where's meh mug

After the pickin of the pearl it was time for some more food and some more drink. So we headed out of Japan and kept makin our rounds!
America was next in line and my mom is pretty patriotic and thought it was so cool. The band with the piccolos and snares came through and she was irritated people weren't removing their caps when they played the national anthem
(Because everyone at WDW is American!)
We headed over to Hops & Barley for a beer and the lobster roll I'd been wanting to try.
I got the Sam Adams Cream Stout.

Mom was taking a drinking beer. This is a god place for my beer interests. My and my DH LOVE beer. And lucky for us, we live in beer Mecca! They call it the Nappa Valley of beer. Local brewers will say it's the water and the lax beer laws. People come from all over the country to start their breweries here and we're lucky to have such great options!
A couple of weeks before we went to the Great American Brew Festival in Denver. It's the biggest festival of it's kind in America with over 3000 beers on draft. It was AMAZING. We even got to try a Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout! (Go look up what Rocky Mountain Oysters are if you don't already know )
So when I saw the beer list for F&W I was a tad disappointed. Nothing I couldn't get in Colorado except some of the Florida beers (long journey!) and of the Florida breweries they only had wheat and lager beers, neither of which I like. That's why, although I'm a huge beer fan, Disney was mostly cocktails. I LOVE Disney cocktails but they just don't do it for me for beer. I like it dark. English style stouts are too light for me. They did have Kona Porter which I think is yummy but we have that in gas stations here and I never made it over to that booth.

The Sam Adams Cream Stout was alright, it could have had more weight and flavor to it. I think Sam Adams does a good job with beer for how big they are. So many breweries when they get that big stop making new things or take some of the flavor down to appeal to the masses. I'll stick to my Colorado Microbrews, though!

Anyways, back on track. The Lobster Roll.

I thought it was only okay. I wish the lobster would have been warm. It's how I was expecting it and I didn't like it cold. It was a tad too "dill-y" as well. It wasn't bad but I don't think it was worth over $7.

So if everyone remembers, my mom was quite obnoxiously lugging around her resort mug. She had attached it to her purse (the strap clipped on and off to turn it into a clutch so she just put it through the handle). But for some reason every time she had to get into her purse she took it off even though she didn't need to. This had been making me nervous all day. We're both pretty forgetful so I've fixed that by just keeping things where they are unless I NEED to take them out. On ski lifts, my mom takes off both gloves and takes her pole straps off and starts going through her pockets. It makes me so nervous. SHE'S GONNA DROP EVERYTHING!!
Well, it's about this time that she looks down and sees that she has no resort mug. You know, the thing she bought THIS MORNING for a cool $15 but that isn't important enough to get turned into lost and found. Not to mention that she hadn't been using it all day so she had no recollection of when we last had it. We chalked that one up as a loss. A $15 cup of coffee! Ridiculous even by Disney standards.
Since about an hour had gone by that meant her ring was ready to be picked up! She thought she'd give asking if she'd left her resort mug there a try (yeah right, why would they keep something like that around, especially since half the people here seem to have the same mug).
I had to use the bathroom for the 13th time and she was thirsty so we split up and I headed to Morocco and the plan was to meet in Japan so we could pick up her ring.

(Am I the only one that thinks the lack of bathrooms in the World Showcase is absurd? Every country should have one, imo).

I watched the drummers while I waited for her and then we headed back to pick up her pearl.
AND THEY HAD HER STUPID MUG! We couldn't believe they'd saved it OR that she happened to have left it around CMs. They apologized that they didn't have it and had to get a manager (the Japanese CMs are SO polite all the time). It's really not a problem, we're the stupid heads that left it in the first place. Take your time!
I didn't get a picture of the ring but you can see it in a picture on our last day so you'll have to wait until then!

We continued around the world showcase just looking around and searching for another booth to try. The crowds were starting to pick up a bit especially in certain areas where buildings made the walkways skinnier.

We found the Italy booth and we wanted to try the ravioli and the Italian margarita. We found a nice seat on the stairway over by the water. There was no one over there so while the walk ways were super crowded we were always able to find secluded areas to eat and relax

The Italian margarita was super yummy. A little too sweet but I think that about every cocktail pretty much. We shared it (I may have had a tad more...)

The Ravioli was DISGUSTING. We didn't even finish it. It had NO flavor and the sauce tasted WORSE than canned crap. I hated it.

Next we headed over to China for some shopping. My mom bought some scarves and a purse thing (I don't know how to describe it and I didn't take pictures!)

We decided to save La Cava de Tequila for another time and went straight on through Mexico to the Australian and Caribbean booths.
Mexico was PACKED. It's such a bottle neck and with all the booths it was just awful. The last thing we wanted to do was stay in that area any longer.

Mom went to get the drinks and I got the food! The Lamb Chop with mint pesto

SO GOOD. The potato chips gave it awesome texture. It was just perfect!

Mom got the shrimp

She liked it. I didn't but I knew I wouldn't. I didn't like the spices on it. We didn't share these ones like the past ones, we liked our own choices too much!

We also got the cherry limeade (delicious!) And the Dragon Berry Colada (also delicious!)

I was glad they were a tad small, they were sweet and too much would have been, well, too much!

This turned into a lengthy break while we called loved ones. Mom called grandma and I called my DH. Mostly to brag about all the fun we were having. And we were a tad tipsy and when you're tipsy you call people!
After the break we back tracked a bit to explore Morocco

This is my favorite pavilion to just explore. It's so beautiful!
At this point I don't remember what we did next but I do now I ended up with a beer because photobucket tells me so

I think we were taking another break and this stand was right where the break was. It was the wheat beer from the florida brewery. It was alright but it was a wheat beer. Refreshing but I would have preferred a nice Russian Imperial Stout.

And our last booth of the day was the cheese booth! Mom got wine and I got the cheese trey. I think she got a Cab Sauv, it was a dry red at least.
Proof!

They were all good but I liked the cheddar with honey the best. The goat brie was a little bland. Nice and smooth but I couldn't tell it was goat cheese until I went back to look. The bleu cheese with the crouton was also delicious!

After this we decided to head over to Future World, we had a dinner reservation to get hungry for! I'll leave you with that!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
Love your TR so far, and as a fellow hockey fan (Love my Lightning!!!!!), I'm also quite depressed. BRING BACK HOCKEY!!!

Love that you guys are from Denver. The AVS are my second favorite team. I served my Mormon mission there and loved the people and the scenery. I would move there, but then I'd be too far from Disney and my Lightning.
Yay! A hockey fan! Denver is such a great city! And yeah, I always say I couldn't move to a city with no hockey but I think I may survive somewhere in the same division at least! Tampa doesn't even come here some years!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Hi I'm here! Great start so far! I was at MK rope drop on the 9th too! Well actually, we arrived just when rope drop ended, but we were at least in the same park! Epcot doesn't look too bad when you hopped over! You guys hit a lot of the booths in a short time!

That's funny that you didn't like the ravioli, I love it! I mean, it's not the greatest, but I think it's really good!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
Sam33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9
Hi I'm here! Great start so far! I was at MK rope drop on the 9th too! Well actually, we arrived just when rope drop ended, but we were at least in the same park! Epcot doesn't look too bad when you hopped over! You guys hit a lot of the booths in a short time!

That's funny that you didn't like the ravioli, I love it! I mean, it's not the greatest, but I think it's really good!
That's hilarious how different our opinions are! Especially because I'm super not picky about Italian! Lots of dining reviews talk use "it was like olive garden" to diss Italian restaurants and I'm like "I LOVE OLIVE GARDEN!"
We did t have to wait in a single booth line the whole day. There was A LOT of people compared to what I'm used to but they never seemed to be doing what we were doing!

AND I TOTALLY FORGOT! Somewhere In there we rose Maelstrom. Lol. I didn't take any pictures do I forgot we did that. It was a 20 minute wait. Wasn't too bad but was not worth it for Maelstrom!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #30
GBChicinMaine
Earning My Ears

I'm Christine Doyle Zachman!

Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/11/11
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 9/24/09
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 2/21/08
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 5/3/07
Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamian Cruise - 1/11/07

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: