Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Tribe
Mouseketeer

EVC questions

Thanks in advance for those that reply.

Taking my 70 year-old mother in Feb and she can walk but has some foot and ankle problems and will need an EVC to tour.

Do I need to reserve these ahead of time? (like ADR's)

How much extra time should we allocate for picking one up at the park gates?

What do we do with it when going into attractions?

Daily cost?

Thank you
Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post

Taking my 70 year-old mother in Feb and she can walk but has some foot and ankle problems and will need an EVC to tour.

Daily cost?

Thank you
EVC's are first come first serve at the park, or you can rent one for your length of stay from an outside company.

I believe they are $50 per day - not sure if they have a discount if you pay for all the days you need it up front (like strollers).
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post

Daily cost?

Thank you
I cannot answer all questions because I rent wheelchair for my mom who also does not use it every day. It is actually much cheaper option, I think it was $12 a day and ECV is like $50, I not sure how much exactly.

You park it where strollers and wheelchairs parked, there are special spots around attractions, you will see.

I think there is a deal if you want to rent it for several days, it is for wheelchairs at least.

If your mom would prefer to use it outside parks, rent from outside vendors but then you will have to take it on bus which can be a pain.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that on most if not all rides you can take ECV in line but I am not sure what you do with it later.
We took my mom chair on Safari because they told us parking area is inside, huge mistake. We had to wait for special car and we waited much longer.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO

Last edited by KellyNY; 12-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 of that thread has information about renting ECVs nd wheelchairs.

ECVs rented at the park can't be reserved ahead of time, there are no discounts and an ECV rented in one park has to be turned in before leaving the park.

Most lines are ECV and wheelchair accessible; ALL are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding, except for things like Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tom Sawyer's Island and Peoplemover, where guests must be ambulatory.
For the attractions where the line is not ECV accessible, ask to borrow a wheelchair from the CM at the entrance if you think the walk or the standing will be too long. They will have you park the ECV with the strollers and give you a wheelchair to use in line.
Mobility devices used in line will be waiting for you at the unload area ( which may be the same as the loading area).

Post 1 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has an index to other helpful information on that thread.

You can also follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES Board to ask more questions.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I would suggest that you go over to the disABILITIES board. There is extensive information in their stickies where you can learn all the ins and outs of renting ECVs onsite and offsite. There is also great information on using them inside the parks, how each attraction handles guests in wheelchairs/ECVs, etc.

The main WDW website also has a lot of info for guests with mobility problems. Here's a link: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

Ha! SueM in Mn, I must have been writing this when you posted yours!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I would suggest that you go over to the disABILITIES board. There is extensive information in their stickies where you can learn all the ins and outs of renting ECVs onsite and offsite. There is also great information on using them inside the parks, how each attraction handles guests in wheelchairs/ECVs, etc.

The main WDW website also has a lot of info for guests with mobility problems. Here's a link: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

Ha! SueM in Mn, I must have been writing this when you posted yours!

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

My mom is 70 and has some knee problems as well and she absolutely refuses to rent an EVC. She says as long as she can stand she'll not be one of those people, as she put it.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

I would rent an ECV from an outside company. Yes, they can be a pain on the buses (if you are using them) , but it is cheaper and your mom will have it at night when leaving the parks. She will probably be tired and then and it can be a very long walk to the buses or parking lots.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
Just wanted to add that on most if not all rides you can take ECV in line but I am not sure what you do with it later.
We took my mom chair on Safari because they told us parking area is inside, huge mistake. We had to wait for special car and we waited much longer.
I agree -- if she has enough mobility to park the scooter at the entrance and use the regular or FP line, that's the best thing to do on the safari ride. It took an extra half hour to load the special car for those using scooters. This was the only ride where I had that problem, though.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
My mom is 70 and has some knee problems as well and she absolutely refuses to rent an EVC. She says as long as she can stand she'll not be one of those people, as she put it.
How fortunate that your mother is able to still manage without an ECV. Many other people are not. I doubt that they would care to be lumped into the category of "one of those people". There are many reasons for needing these aside from knee problems.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: