Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Last night we had no power in our room from 11:30pm-2am. The hotel was doing some kind of test. They had informed us of this situation when we checked in. They gave us a flashlight for the room. I hadn't really put much thought into it, but it turned out to be pretty stressful! Trying to get 4 kids ready for bed with 1 flashlight was very difficult. The room was hot and stuffy due to no A/C. My kids were frightened. When DS woke up for a feeding, that was tricky too. This is obviously not something that will ruin our vacation, but I do wish they would have told us in advance so we could have chosen another resort if we wanted to.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

This happened to us when we stayed at AKL in March 2011. We also received the notice in our room - no flashlight however! My DS does not like sleeping in the dark and he woke up in the middle of the night quite frightened. Then I had a hard time walking over to him (we were in a 1-bedroom in Jambo). It was a bit frustrating, but did not ruin our trip. Made for a tired mommy the next day, however. I really don't know how far in advance they plan these tests, so I don't know if they could have notified us (or you) any sooner than they did. Plus, I imagine they pick that time frame because they believe most people are asleep (except for babies and young children!) I'm sure Disney feels the letter in the rooms was sufficient . . . at least you got a flashlight!!! I'm sure it made the feeding very difficult. I hope things went more smoothly once the lights were back on.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
dvcblt93
Mouseketeer

They are testing all of the resorts this week, so regardless of where you would be staying, you probably would have experienced this.
dvcblt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

I must be missing something... Not having lights at that time of night wouldn't have even been on my radar. I guess if your kids are still up (or trying to get to bed) at 11:30pm it could be a problem though..
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
cvjw
DIS Veteran

This happened to us in October at the Board Walk Villas. We got the phone call late afternoon of the night when the outage was planned. We thought like the PP - no problem, we will be sleeping anyway. Wrong - when the power went out, the fire alarms started beeping, and woke everyone up. Since we were up, then we noticed how hot it was, and there was no going back to sleep at that point. It was annoying - to say the least.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I grew up in tropical countries, I know how awful it can be to fall asleep when the power is out and the ac is off. Impossible! Not a fun situation to be in on vacation.

On a funny note, when my aunt's fire alarm started that horrendous low battery beeping in the middle of the night she got up and changed the battery. The next night it started doing the same thing. She changed the battery again and went back to bed. It kept beeping! She was ticked. Got up to investigate again, and realized her birds had learned to mimic the fire alarm low battery noise. So at the very least, at least you weren't traveling with a parakeet.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

We will be staying at POFQ in a few days - I hope the resorts are done testing. We stayed at Treehouse Villas in early Sept, and our power went out at the treehouse around 10p.m but it was not planned. It was after 2 by the time the power came on and it was very hot in there! We did then end up missing our a.m ADR.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
Last night we had no power in our room from 11:30pm-2am. The hotel was doing some kind of test. They had informed us of this situation when we checked in. They gave us a flashlight for the room. I hadn't really put much thought into it, but it turned out to be pretty stressful! Trying to get 4 kids ready for bed with 1 flashlight was very difficult. The room was hot and stuffy due to no A/C. My kids were frightened. When DS woke up for a feeding, that was tricky too. This is obviously not something that will ruin our vacation, but I do wish they would have told us in advance so we could have chosen another resort if we wanted to.
I guess I'm confused. What time did you check in and were informed of the outage that would be starting at 11:30 PM? If your kids were frightened, why wait until the outage to get them ready for bed? I understand the feeding issue but not having AC for 2-1/2 hours shouldn't have been all that bad. And yes, I've been through not having AC for a long time - hurricanes and all that. I survived.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
I grew up in tropical countries, I know how awful it can be to fall asleep when the power is out and the ac is off. Impossible! Not a fun situation to be in on vacation.

On a funny note, when my aunt's fire alarm started that horrendous low battery beeping in the middle of the night she got up and changed the battery. The next night it started doing the same thing. She changed the battery again and went back to bed. It kept beeping! She was ticked. Got up to investigate again, and realized her birds had learned to mimic the fire alarm low battery noise. So at the very least, at least you weren't traveling with a parakeet.
I love your optimism! See there's a bright side to everything!

This also happened to us last year, we were told that the county schedules these tests for whatever reason (its not an internal Disney thing), and resorts are not given advance notice. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's what we were told, so its possible they had no way to let you know any sooner than they did.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post

OP, understand how frustrating it can be when you're on vacation paying a WDW Deluxe resort price and they shut the power down for a failover test... very inconvenient and uncomfortable.

Don't know why they didn't plan it for the middle of the day, when most of the people staying there would be in the parks...

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

I remember my sister said that happened to them once when they stayed. I wouldn't imagine it bothering me at that hour but I'll remember to throw a flashlight in our suitcase to have a spare in case. 1 is not enough for all of us.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Mrs Grumpy
DIS Veteran

This happened to us at POP in September 2011 however we were never informed.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

It seems to me that it would be quite possible for many people to still be up at 11:30 while at WDW! So much to do, not to mention the time change for west coasters! I agree with a PP that mid-day could be a possibility, or maybe even starting much later- say 1 am.

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8

I guess I'm confused. What time did you check in and were informed of the outage that would be starting at 11:30 PM? If your kids were frightened, why wait until the outage to get them ready for bed? I understand the feeding issue but not having AC for 2-1/2 hours shouldn't have been all that bad. And yes, I've been through not having AC for a long time - hurricanes and all that. I survived.
That night was a christmas party night, so very possible. They informed with a note and flashlight the same day (from mousekeeping). They also informed at least the day before by voicemail on the resort phone.

As a sidenote, the lodge looks pretty at 1am with only generator lights running.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

We had a power outage years ago when we were staying at CSR. I never thought anything about it till I read this. Just figured it happens sometimes. We didn't get any letter in our room saying anything was going to happen.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: