DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

Medical Emergency will I lose my points

We are to be in Disney in 3 weeks. This was to be a family trip before my Son-In-Law goes through a bone marrow transplant. He has been fighting a auto-immune disease where his bone marrow doesn't work They have tried several things and in October decided bone marrow transplant was the way to go but didn't plan on doing it until 2013 if they found a match. Well two weeks ago he got pneumonia and has been in and out of hospital. They told us Thursday they found a match and want to do the transplant asap. We should find out next week when the donor will be able to do this. I borrowed points for this vacation plus it is past the time I can bank points. Has anyone every had a similar situation and did Disney work with them so they didn't lose there points.

My Son-In-Law wants us to still go bu there is no way I am going to be across the country if they have started this procedure.
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

There have been reports of a one time exemption where Disney has helped out but it's up to Disney. I would contact MS and see what they say and cancel. Maybe rent out your points and wait for the situation to get over and done with.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Discomom703
Earning My Ears

DVC Premium Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Premium Membership

Sorry to hear about your predicament.. but good thoughts and prayers for your family.! Hope all turns out well..! Goodluck!
Discomom703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywgirl View Post
We are to be in Disney in 3 weeks. This was to be a family trip before my Son-In-Law goes through a bone marrow transplant. He has been fighting a auto-immune disease where his bone marrow doesn't work They have tried several things and in October decided bone marrow transplant was the way to go but didn't plan on doing it until 2013 if they found a match. Well two weeks ago he got pneumonia and has been in and out of hospital. They told us Thursday they found a match and want to do the transplant asap. We should find out next week when the donor will be able to do this. I borrowed points for this vacation plus it is past the time I can bank points. Has anyone every had a similar situation and did Disney work with them so they didn't lose there points.

My Son-In-Law wants us to still go bu there is no way I am going to be across the country if they have started this procedure.
I had to cancel a DVC trip due to medical reasons, however, it was about 14 years ago, so DVC may handle it differently. Back then, I don't believe trip insurance was offered. In my situation, the trip was supposed to be in the beginning of December for with an Aug use year. Since I cancelled within 30days of the reservation, my points were placed into "breakage" status (I think I remember the term correctly). What that meant is I could use those points to book a trip within a 60 day or less window by the end of my use year. Member services would best answer your question and certainly be more current.

Hope your son in law's procedure goes well and is successful!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulanMom View Post
...my points were placed into "breakage" status (I think I remember the term correctly)...

The term is Holding Status where in you must use the points for reservation made 60 or less days before arrival, and they can not be banked.

"Breakage" is when there are rooms turned over to cash reservations because they are not reserved by DVC Members.

As far as what will happen to the OP's points, it depends upon a few factors, like whether or not the OP purchased the available trip insurance, whether they have used their "once in a lifetime" thing, and so forth.

Officially, the points are supposed to go into holding status if the cancellation is 30 days or less from the check-in date...but plead your case to Member Services and see what happens. Sometime they can work a little Disney magic, sometimes they can't. Wishing OP's Son-In Law a speedy recovery!

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
ddoconnell
Tink's biggest fan

Praying for your son in law!

Many times before but first time on property:
1996 - Port Orleans; 2001 - CBR (bought DVC); 2003 - OKW; 2004 - WL; 2005 - OKW; 2007 - SSR; 2009 - OKW ; 2010 - SSR & YC; 2011 - AKV & YC; 2012 - SST, VWL
ddoconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

Prayers and good wishes.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to update and thank everyone that posted to this reply. Disney did give me back all of my points and put them into my 2013 use year. They were very understanding and helped me out. I have learned that I will definately get trip insurance next time so I don't have to worry about it. We are still trying to get his system built up so we can start the bone marrow process but hopefully that will happen next week. Thanks for all of your thoughts and concerns.
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

Hope everything goes well for him! Glad everything worked out with DVC!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
kermiebudge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywgirl View Post

I read about this in the cancelled Dining Reservation thread...and just wanted to send thoughts and good vibes your way. Auto immune issues are terrible . Hope for a successful procedure and speedy recovery for your Son-in-Law...

Also, I have to say it's really beyond thoughtful of you to think of helping others with your dining cancellations while going through a difficult time.... Hope you all have an extra-special WDW trip after the recovery!!!!
kermiebudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: