Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
mommymanda
Mouseketeer

Fitting in the character meals when DH wants dinners

DH will only happily agree to another disney trip if we get a dining plan again and he gets to eat like we did on our first trip....TS meals every dinner.

I'm trying to fit in character meals and work out the schedule. Right now we are looking at Chef Mickey's for dinner (DH's pick), Ohana's one day for breakfast (my choice) and I want to fit Tusker house in for the kids on our AK day, most likely lunch/brunch.

I'm worried since that is three of our six meal plan points used on buffets rather than sit down DH won't be as impressed. I'm also worried because Ohana's and Tusker's have to be lunch or breakfast to get characters...and we are not a morning group to rush for ADRs, and we are light snack lunch people.

So although I'm open and flexible to whatever ends up happening...I want everyone to enjoy themselves.

So do I skip a character to add a sit down to keep DH happy...or is the food good enough at the two to be similar...he did love Chef Mickey's.
mommymanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

How about switching Ohana to dinner? No characters, but better food and they still have activities for the kids that will keep them entertained.
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcghee2024 View Post
Ohana to dinner? No characters, but better food
Better Food? Only if you like dry mystery meat.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

Personally, we're good with only one or two character meals. I'd probably skip one of the breakfasts and do a dinner instead. I like the idea of moving Ohanas to dinner. We love the food and the kids get to dance and race coconuts. :-)

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
gwmort
DIS Veteran

We did a character dinner over at the Garden Grille in Epcot last week, I wasn't really looking forward to it but we were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. Its family style and not buffet.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If he likes the food at Chef Mickey's I don't see him having problems with the food at the other buffets. The lunch at Tusker House won't be a problem, I don't think there's much if any difference between lunch and dinner there.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
TinkerwithDis
Mouseketeer

Yes, i agree. Everyone is different, but i personally found the meat to be very dry at ohana. I didnt like the food there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Better Food? Only if you like dry mystery meat.

True, the lunch & dinner at tusker is VERY similiar. For dinner they just add a couple of extra dishes. A late lunch is a good compromise. I still like breakfast way better than the lunch....but the lunch is good too. I'd drop ohana breakfast (even thou i like it) and i'd book a dinner somewhere else. I wouldnt pick ohana. Probably Via Napoli or Tutto Italia. SO DELISH. Love Via Napoli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If he likes the food at Chef Mickey's I don't see him having problems with the food at the other buffets. The lunch at Tusker House won't be a problem, I don't think there's much if any difference between lunch and dinner there.
TinkerwithDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
If he liked the food at CM he will like the food any where!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
princessSunshine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymanda View Post
DH will only happily agree to another disney trip if we get a dining plan again and he gets to eat like we did on our first trip....TS meals every dinner.

I'm trying to fit in character meals and work out the schedule. Right now we are looking at Chef Mickey's for dinner (DH's pick), Ohana's one day for breakfast (my choice) and I want to fit Tusker house in for the kids on our AK day, most likely lunch/brunch.

I'm worried since that is three of our six meal plan points used on buffets rather than sit down DH won't be as impressed. I'm also worried because Ohana's and Tusker's have to be lunch or breakfast to get characters...and we are not a morning group to rush for ADRs, and we are light snack lunch people.

So although I'm open and flexible to whatever ends up happening...I want everyone to enjoy themselves.

So do I skip a character to add a sit down to keep DH happy...or is the food good enough at the two to be similar...he did love Chef Mickey's.
I think you answered your own question with the highlighted line....if you want to make/keep everyone happy on your trip, rushing to ADR's isn't one way, plus if hubby wants more sit-down dinners that buffet, I'd vote to x 'Ohana for breakfast. We like 'Ohana at supper - it's family style, but still interaction for the kids so hubby doesn't have to get up and go to buffet lines and kids have something to amuse themselves.
princessSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you want to be served dinner and still want characters, there's the Garden Grill.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Do you need 3 character meals with basically the same characters?

If DH likes Chef Mickey and that takes care of all the Fab 5 then I would just make that enough and do some yummy dinners for other things. Or maybe go OOP on the Ohana breakfast.

You can also have entertaining non-character dinners: Ohana dinner, T-Rex, Rainforest, Sci Fi, Biergarten, Raglan Road, etc.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for a Poly dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
ctseaton
Mouseketeer

Why not do the Deluxe Dining Plan? That's what my clients who have trouble agreeing on meals always do. It is a great way to have more freedom and get more table service meals.
ctseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
River Country
DIS Jedi

1. Do the Deluxe DP
2. Tusker House has charecters at Breakfast and it is the best breakfast in WDW IMHO
3. 1900 PF Buffet but decent
4. CRT is a sit down non buffet for all 3 meals
5. Akershus in Norway is an option
6. you can try BOG even though there are no charecters i think you can take a picture with the Beast

Thats about it
Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
GillianP1301
Mouseketeer

I agree with the Garden Grill suggestion for a dinner. It's a very quiet for a character meal and the interaction with the characters is on a whole other level than the other character meals (in a good way). The food is family style, so no having to get up for the buffet and the quality is good.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: