Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

AKV - Kidani Village

Does anyone know if you can access the animal savannah viewing outlooks by not climbing stairs? Is the resort generally quite accessible?
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Does anyone know if you can access the animal savannah viewing outlooks by not climbing stairs? Is the resort generally quite accessible?
Which answer. You can get to the animal viewing areas without using stairs. It may not be as direct, but is accessible.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN

Which answer. You can get to the animal viewing areas without using stairs. It may not be as direct, but is accessible.
Great thanks! I cant climb stairs but want desperately to see the animals!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

There is an elevator to take you down to the lower level. It's also where the restaurant is.
AJKMOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

I've visited AKL many times and haven't noticed any major accessibility issues -- I sometimes have my wheel chair with me although I also walk.

Jambo House -- The walk way from the lobby down to the 1st floor where Mara (the quick serve restaurant) is located seems a bit steep and I couldn't figure out if there was an elevator that brought you up to the lobby. There was an elevator but it only seemed to bring you to guest rooms.

Besides the ground floor, the upper levels also offer viewing of the animals. There are outdoor viewing areas on these upper levels with rocking chairs and telescopes. You can also go outside from the DVC community hall room (which is located on an upper level.) Ask the front desk for a list of the animals and a map for where the savannas are located. The CMs outside the viewing areas can direct you also. Beware that you need to visit both Jambo House and Kidani Village to see all of the animals but it's only a 10 minute walk between the two if you don't want to take the bus.

allears.net has a pretty good description of what animals are found in each savanna

Depending on the time of day that you're planning on visiting, you might want to call the front desk and ask about the time that the animals are let out in the morning. I've visited AKL early in the day and the animals were not out for viewing because they were being checked over by the medical staff.

At night, you can go to a special viewing area and use night time vision goggles, which are kind of cool.

Have you thought about taking a semi private safari to see the animals? The program is called Wanyami Safari Resort Tour (this tour is only available to AKL resort guests.)

Last edited by CarolineB; 12-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM
There is an elevator to take you down to the lower level. It's also where the restaurant is.
Thank you that is very comforting!

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineB
I've visited AKL many times and haven't noticed any major accessibility issues -- I sometimes have my wheel chair with me although I also walk.

Jambo House -- The walk way from the lobby down to the 1st floor where Mara (the quick serve restaurant) is located seems a bit steep and I couldn't figure out if there was an elevator that brought you up to the lobby. There was an elevator but it only seemed to bring you to guest rooms.

Besides the ground floor, the upper levels also offer viewing of the animals. There are outdoor viewing areas on these upper levels with rocking chairs and telescopes. You can also go outside from the DVC community hall room (which is located on an upper level.) Ask the front desk for a list of the animals and a map for where the savannas are located. The CMs outside the viewing areas can direct you also. Beware that you need to visit both Jambo House and Kidani Village to see all of the animals but it's only a 10 minute walk between the two if you don't want to take the bus.

allears.net has a pretty good description of what animals are found in each savanna

Depending on the time of day that you're planning on visiting, you might want to call the front desk and ask about the time that the animals are let out in the morning. I've visited AKL early in the day and the animals were not out for viewing because they were being checked over by the medical staff.

At night, you can go to a special viewing area and use night time vision goggles, which are kind of cool.

Have you thought about taking a semi private safari to see the animals? The program is called Wanyami Safari Resort Tour (this tour is only available to AKL resort guests.)
Thanks for all the great info. I did not know about the W safari resort tour will check it out! Also I will look at all ears for the animals thank you!

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: