Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

My experience with fraud on a debit, not credit, card

I really thought in a fraud case they would operate just about the same. It has happened on credit cards and I call. They issue a new card and the money is credited back immediately.

Last week I saw a series of 3 foreign transactions for travel companies. I called the bank as soon as they opened. Sounded good except for the 3 to 5 day hold on my money. Ok. 3-5. That came and went and no provisional credit. Now they give me a day, 11 days out that I will be credited my money on a provisional basis.

This experience very much makes me want to use my credit card and pay my usually things off immediately via online banking that day.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Thats odd- someone bought a computer with my debit card and I had the money back in 3 days!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Yep. No debit cards for us for exactly this reason. I do still have an old fashioned ATM debit card I can use with a PIN if I need cash.

Hope all gets resolved quickly for you.

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
Thats odd- someone bought a computer with my debit card and I had the money back in 3 days!
If they used your debit card like a credit card, then the transaction is treated like credit and things happen MUCH faster - and you have more protections.

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

We do not use our debit cards - maybe 1 or 2 times a year in an emergency case (computer down at a store).

Much better protection and security with credit cards, plus, they pay us to use their cards as we get cash back. We put almost all of our bills on our cards, and we pay the balance each month, so it's great for us.

Sorry OP that you have to wait for your money, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 05-29-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

My wallet was stolen a couple of weeks ago. Someone tried to use all my credit and debit cards for various online purchases but every single bank caught the activity via their fraud monitoring! Thank goodness, I was not out any money at all.

Jill in CO
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

The card number was used as a credit card, not a debit, so I guess it is just my bank being contrary.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
mom2alix
I know he is always on my side
How fun! I'll play!

That stinks! This is exactly why we don't use debit. Credit cards offer much better fraud protection. I hope your bank gets it fixed for you soon.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

I agree that it sounds like your bank being difficult on getting the money back to you.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
My3kiddos
DIS Veteran

I had this happen with a bank account I rarely use. The bank is an online only bank and I just happened to check the activity and in 3 days they had drained the account. The bank was a total ahole about the whole thing and it took almost a month to get the money back.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

if there was a visa or mastercard logo on the card, you may want to call them and see what they have to say about it.

someone stole my debit card online and charged up everything plus some in my account. my credit union refused to give me even provisional credit back until i could proved i filed a police report. the police were un happy with me because they don't have time for crimes that didn't take place in their area. it took 2 weeks to get my money back and that was only because i called visa and they were not happy and a rep told me that anything with their logo on it has to return stolen funds with in 3 days because that's the contract they make with the entity giving out the card. i had to fight to get the over draft charges returned as well. if i hadn't called visa, i don't know how long it would have been before i got my money back. the credit union branch manager was "confused and sad to see me go" when i closed my account >
niffer5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I had my entire account drained several years ago...I use a very small local bank and every dollar was back in my account before the end of business that day. We have visa branded debit cards and the thief ran them as credit. The police in our case also didn't want to take a report and though the bank didn't need one, I insisted just in case.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

On Black Friday I used my card as credit. I was at Walmart used it 3 times at 8, 10, & 12. I then went to Kmart used it 4 times there. Then went to our local mall used it about 6 times. I then went back to a different Walmart. Make one transaction that went though then I tried to make another and it was declined. I didn't think to much just thought it might be a daily balance thing. On Saturday I went to Wegmans and it was declined again. Our local branch was opened so I stopped in to see what was up. They told me that the fraud company flagged the charges at Kmart and our local branch took off the hold. On Sunday morning I got a call from the fraud company asking about my transactions at Kmart. I then ask them if they thought something was up why did they let me use it after Kmart. I spend over $300 after Kmart they didn't have an answer for me. I also ask why they didn't flag it at my first trips to Walmart? Didn't have an answer for that. They also said that if I want to use it more then once or twice at a place I should call. I'm not calling every time I need to make more then one purchase at a store. they also said that if you are going to travel to call them.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
DebMcDonald
DIS Veteran

I got a phone call from BOA this week stating that they thought there was fraud activity on my card and they told me that I was not responsible and that they would stop my card immediately and they could mail me one or I could pop into the nearest branch.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

BOA has done the same for me, too. They called me to tell me there was fraudulent activity and lo and behold, they were right. I wouldn't have noticed for awhile if it weren't for them-- they blocked the charge, cancelled my account, and sent me new cards. I'm sticking with them now.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: