Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
pannm
Mouseketeer

6 nt. Magic/ theme nights/dinners questions!!!

OK, so I have been looking at, reading and studing as much as I can about our cruise. I believe a well informed vacationer can enjoy their vacation to the max (as opposed to going in with 1/2 the info. and MISSING OUT!!!)

I am confused about the theme night meals on board. We're on a 6-nt. Magic cruise.

Here's what I KNOW...6 nights means that we'll eat in every restaurant (nice/sit down) 2 nights each. We have chosen NOT to do a Palo meal, because we're using that $$$ for a more expensive excursion instead.

What I am confused about is this...People talk about special menus on certain nights. So, when I see the 'dinning room menu's' does that mean on those special nights- the menu changes???

I KNOW there will be a pirate party night, but are the menu's changed in all restaurants THAT night, for more of a pirate night?

How about a prince/princess night? Is that going to be on a specific night too- even on a 6nt. cruise?

Then, I've also been hearing about a captains reception/dinner...what the heck is that? Do we need to sign up for it separately? Where is that? I've heard that it includes alc. drinks??? Maybe they don't even have it on a 6 nt. cruise?

How about tea with Alice? Will THAT be an option for us? I KNOW that if it's an option, we need to sign up at guest services as soon as we board to get TIX, but if it's not an option- I won't waste my time at guest services.

I have heard that we will automatically get placed into a character breakfast one morning that the ship is at sea. Is that true?

Lots of first timmer questions from me, but like I said I like to be well informed and know the facts before we leave.

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannm View Post
OK, so I have been looking at, reading and studing as much as I can about our cruise. I believe a well informed vacationer can enjoy their vacation to the max (as opposed to going in with 1/2 the info. and MISSING OUT!!!)

I am confused about the theme night meals on board. We're on a 6-nt. Magic cruise.

Here's what I KNOW...6 nights means that we'll eat in every restaurant (nice/sit down) 2 nights each. We have chosen NOT to do a Palo meal, because we're using that $$$ for a more expensive excursion instead.

What I am confused about is this...People talk about special menus on certain nights. So, when I see the 'dinning room menu's' does that mean on those special nights- the menu changes???

I KNOW there will be a pirate party night, but are the menu's changed in all restaurants THAT night, for more of a pirate night?

How about a prince/princess night? Is that going to be on a specific night too- even on a 6nt. cruise?

Then, I've also been hearing about a captains reception/dinner...what the heck is that? Do we need to sign up for it separately? Where is that? I've heard that it includes alc. drinks??? Maybe they don't even have it on a 6 nt. cruise?

How about tea with Alice? Will THAT be an option for us? I KNOW that if it's an option, we need to sign up at guest services as soon as we board to get TIX, but if it's not an option- I won't waste my time at guest services.

I have heard that we will automatically get placed into a character breakfast one morning that the ship is at sea. Is that true?

Lots of first timmer questions from me, but like I said I like to be well informed and know the facts before we leave.
OK, here's how it goes. Each MDR has it's own Signature menu, each one different/specific to that MDR. That takes care of 3 nights. Then there's Pirate night-all the MDRs serve the same Pirate menu. That's 4 nights. There's the Captains Gala menu (semi-formal night) usually the second to last night, again, same menu in all MDRs. That takes care of 5 nights. I believe the 6th menu is the Till We Meet Again menu served the last night. Again, this menu is the same one in all MDRs. The Prince & Princess menu is one that is used for formal nights on 7 night and longer cruises.

On the night that the Captains Gala menu is served there are free cocktails in the atrim before each dinner seating.

Tea with.....(Alice, the Princesses, Disney Friends, whoever), if it is offered, you must pick up tickets at Guest Services as soon as you board. Be aware is really designed for younger guests (apple juice and cookie) with etiqutte lessons. If you get tickets and opt not to do it, please turn them in, there's always a waiting list. I'm not sure if it's being offered on the Galveston cruises.

Character breakfast - typically has only been offered on cruises on the classic (Wonder & Magic) ships on sailings of 7 nights and longer. However, I've read reports that the 6 night out of Galveston is doing them. You will be assigned to a specific seating (based on your dinner seating). It will happen on a sea day.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
pannm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
OK, here's how it goes. Each MDR has it's own Signature menu, each one different/specific to that MDR. That takes care of 3 nights. Then there's Pirate night-all the MDRs serve the same Pirate menu. That's 4 nights. There's the Captains Gala menu (semi-formal night) usually the second to last night, again, same menu in all MDRs. That takes care of 5 nights. I believe the 6th menu is the Till We Meet Again menu served the last night. Again, this menu is the same one in all MDRs. The Prince & Princess menu is one that is used for formal nights on 7 night and longer cruises.

On the night that the Captains Gala menu is served there are free cocktails in the atrim before each dinner seating.

Tea with.....(Alice, the Princesses, Disney Friends, whoever), if it is offered, you must pick up tickets at Guest Services as soon as you board. Be aware is really designed for younger guests (apple juice and cookie) with etiqutte lessons. If you get tickets and opt not to do it, please turn them in, there's always a waiting list. I'm not sure if it's being offered on the Galveston cruises.

Character breakfast - typically has only been offered on cruises on the classic (Wonder & Magic) ships on sailings of 7 nights and longer. However, I've read reports that the 6 night out of Galveston is doing them. You will be assigned to a specific seating (based on your dinner seating). It will happen on a sea day.

Thanks! You've described it quite well and helped me make it all make sense! I couldn't understand when all these 'special meal' nights were supposed to fit in! Sounds like fun! And, I like the idea of eating different meal choices even though we'll be eating in the same restaurants!

I, too, have heard that they offer the character bkfts on the 6nt. cruises and that it will happen on a morning that you are at sea- I'm hoping that they do it- my girls would love it.

As far as the free drinks in the atrium before the captains gala- is that something that is listed in the navagator, or is it just one of those 'some people just know that it happens' types of things. I've heard many people get off their cruise and have missed it, because they didn't know about it.

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannm View Post
Thanks! You've described it quite well and helped me make it all make sense! I couldn't understand when all these 'special meal' nights were supposed to fit in! Sounds like fun! And, I like the idea of eating different meal choices even though we'll be eating in the same restaurants!

I, too, have heard that they offer the character bkfts on the 6nt. cruises and that it will happen on a morning that you are at sea- I'm hoping that they do it- my girls would love it.

As far as the free drinks in the atrium before the captains gala- is that something that is listed in the navagator, or is it just one of those 'some people just know that it happens' types of things. I've heard many people get off their cruise and have missed it, because they didn't know about it.
Actually, I looked up our MR cruise, and the Captain's Welcome Reception was on the first formal night (night 2). It was in the Navigator (on the front page as well as in the schedule grid).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: