Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #31
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

OK...here is the latest.

First off, I deal with taxes at work. So I know, with their salaries, that their refund would be a lot smaller if they had to file as a married couple. With him filing as single, and her filing as head of household, she would have a larger standard deduction. Plus the Earned Income Credit would be larger. However, that would mean they would have to get married after midnight December 31. Which is when his coverage expires.

DD will talk to HR on Monday. (Unrelated question...how come, when you have a major question to be resolved, you always have it on Friday after work?) Since there may be a gap in coverage (probably between 12 hours to two days), would he have a waiting period for the preexisting condition? Could he even get on her insurance?

Another thought....have him go on COBRA for the month of January, and have them get married in January. I have not crunched the numbers yet, but I think the additional refund she would receive would offset one month of COBRA. (Unfortunately, since he has past student loans, his refund will be applied toward the back loans. I do know about the Injured Spouse form, and will have them file it when they do file together).

Is that feasible? As always, many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #32
KarenC
DIS Veteran

My employer allows me to carry a domestic partner on our group plan. Did your daughter check to see if that's available? I have a son who can't get private insurance so I can empathize with your situation. Good luck to everyone.
1991, 1992, 1993--Offsite, Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
1996--Wilderness Lodge, 1998--Fort Wilderness
2000--Grand Floridian and Disney Wonder
2003--Wilderness Lodge
2007--Animal Kingdom Lodge
2009--Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs Resort
2010--Animal Kingdom Lodge
2011--Wilderness Lodge Mother Daughter Trip
2012--Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress & Saratoga Springs Resort
2013-JW Marriott Grande Lakes and Wilderness Lodge; Marriott Grande Lakes and Disney Dream 4-Day; and Disney Dream 3-Day and Wilderness Lodge
KarenC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #33
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Losing the tax refund is worth not risking any lapse in coverage.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #34
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
My future son-in-law just got out of the hospital about two weeks ago after a two months stay. Several times, we thought we were going to lose him; however he pulled through. Thank God for insurance.

However, since he won't be going back to work for a long time, and he has more than used up sick leave, he will lose his health insurance on January 1.

He can get COBRA, but with his health condition, it's way too expensive. He lives with my daughter and granddaughter, and I think their household income is too much for Medicaid. Right now, the plan is for them to get married before December 31, so he could get on DD's health insurance at work. They were originally going to get married next summer.

I want them to have a proper wedding, not a wedding at the Justice of the Peace. But they can't think of how they could afford insurance for him without them getting married.

Please help.
1) he needs access to group coverage
2) he needs continuous coverage with no lapse due to his condition. if he needs to buy cobra - so be it.

I do recommend that if they plan on being married - go to the judge and do it, and get on her insurance pronto. That will give him access to a group plan at a reasonable rate, and he will have continuous coverage. Most people will consider the religious ceremony the real ceremony for moral purposes.
I would not get hung up on this - do what is right for your future Son in Law. Congrats on the engagement of your son, and enjoy planning your daughters wedding.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
This - if he goes into the hospital and is uninsured for even one day, he is really in trouble.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
this is correct, as long as there is a change of life (marriage counts) he is not uninsurable.. add him the day they get married, and then have a wedding to celebrate in a few months!
I have never worked in a place where the new spouse or family member is added the day they are married or a domestic partnership is put into place.

Only a baby can be added on the day, back dated to the date of birth.

Usually, the spouse is added in either 30 to 60 days OR the first day of the following month when the change is reported (for awesome policies). DD needs to call HR and check her policies.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius97 View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think that this is correct. My understanding is that if you have a preexisting condition and go directly from one insurance to another, then he will be covered. So in the situation of them getting married before the end of the year, he should be able to be covered under the spouses plan.
If he has a lapse in coverage, the wife's insurance or any new insurance can refuse to cover his condition. This is correct. He needs to maintain continuous coverage.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc
I would totally agree with this!!!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
I have never worked in a place where the new spouse or family member is added the day they are married or a domestic partnership is put into place.

Only a baby can be added on the day, back dated to the date of birth.

Usually, the spouse is added in either 30 to 60 days OR the first day of the following month when the change is reported (for awesome policies). DD needs to call HR and check her policies.
She does need to check her own policy but I have never worked where a change of life (marriage, baby, adoption, divorce, etc) doesn't get added immediately. As I told the OP, We did the same thing for insurance for my DH. And honestly, I have never had what I would consider to be an awesome policy.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #40
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back

How old is your future son-in-law? How long as he been working? If he had a job but is losing the job because he is too ill to work, might he be eligible for social security disability and with it medicaid? Will he get unemployment? If he is single and has no income, would he qualify for medicaid?
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #41
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmom View Post
How old is your future son-in-law? How long as he been working? If he had a job but is losing the job because he is too ill to work, might he be eligible for social security disability and with it medicaid? Will he get unemployment? If he is single and has no income, would he qualify for medicaid?
I know that in this state, even if you are not married, your bf/gf's income is counted when considering eligibility, if you live together- not that fraud isn't common on that technicality.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #42
rigs32
DIS Veteran

Just please don't lie to the friends and family you invite to the later, larger celebration about what it is there are witnessing. If I got all dressed up, spent a day attending the event, giving a generous gift, then found out that the couple was lying about having been married for months and months already? I would not be happy.

A friend of my SO was doing a destination wedding. We couldn't go because of money, but turns out they decided it wasn't worth the extra expense to actually get married in another country, so they went to the courthouse a month before the destination wedding and told everyone. If we'd spent $2k to go on vacation to watch them re-enact their wedding, I would not be happy. Then again, they hosted an at-home "reception" as well, but didn't actually host anything - no food, no drinks.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #43
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Whatever they decide they just need to make sure the coverage doesn't lapse.if that means buying cobra it is worth the expense to avoid an even bigger expense down the road.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
Just please don't lie to the friends and family you invite to the later, larger celebration about what it is there are witnessing. If I got all dressed up, spent a day attending the event, giving a generous gift, then found out that the couple was lying about having been married for months and months already? I would not be happy.

A friend of my SO was doing a destination wedding. We couldn't go because of money, but turns out they decided it wasn't worth the extra expense to actually get married in another country, so they went to the courthouse a month before the destination wedding and told everyone. If we'd spent $2k to go on vacation to watch them re-enact their wedding, I would not be happy. Then again, they hosted an at-home "reception" as well, but didn't actually host anything - no food, no drinks.
I disagree. I see no issue with not sharing that the paperwork was dealt with ahead of time for personal, financial reasons.

Honestly, what percentage of couples lives together before they get married anyway? The majority of the time, you're celebrating the commitment 'after the fact.'
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #45
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

I am a notary (in Maine that includes some JP duties). I married a couple at a diner before the husband was deployed with short notice. He wanted her to have her benefits "just in case".

They had the big church wedding/reception after he returned.

I do agree with a PP though, that a church wedding (if that is what you mean by a "real wedding") isn't impossible to pull off in a month either. May no be a whole big shabang- but that may be a good thing if he is still recovering. I don't think our pastor would have any problems with little notice given the circumstances.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: