Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius97 View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think that this is correct. My understanding is that if you have a preexisting condition and go directly from one insurance to another, then he will be covered. So in the situation of them getting married before the end of the year, he should be able to be covered under the spouses plan.
this is correct, as long as there is a change of life (marriage counts) he is not uninsurable.. add him the day they get married, and then have a wedding to celebrate in a few months!

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
mom of2
Mouseketeer

Did you mean that COBRA was too expensive because of him not working? Because the cost of COBRA is the cost that the employer gets the insurance for. For a single person it shouldn't be that expensive.

And as far as not telling anyone if they got married now, it is usually published in the newspaper for the marriage license.
mom of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess every Mom wishes for a fairytale wedding for their daughters. Her older sister is having one in May. She was either going to have a small wedding in Sept 2013, or a larger one in 2014. They never really wanted a big wedding. Just a small one with close family and friends. Unless she has it next weekend, her sister won't even be at the wedding. Sis is coming in from Louisiana for her bridal shower.

I guess I'm now perplexed at how to plan a wedding on very short notice. I do want it somewhat special...after all, this is a commitment. I'm fine with a justice of the peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

There will be no insurance company that will touch him with his pre exhisting condition. There is usually a state health plan called CHIP he could try and qualify for but some states like mine have a waiting list years long and it is not cheap and typically run somewhere around 700-1000 per month so his COBRA might be more affordable. He and your daughter are lucky to have one another and a few month early getting married should not be a big deal for his health sake.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
There will be no insurance company that will touch him with his pre exhisting condition. There is usually a state health plan called CHIP he could try and qualify for but some states like mine have a waiting list years long and it is not cheap and typically run somewhere around 700-1000 per month so his COBRA might be more affordable. He and your daughter are lucky to have one another and a few month early getting married should not be a big deal for his health sake.
If there isn't a gap in his insurance coverage then he is eligible. So if his insurance ends 12/31/12 and his new insurance picks him up 1/1/13 then he will be covered.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess every Mom wishes for a fairytale wedding for their daughters. Her older sister is having one in May. She was either going to have a small wedding in Sept 2013, or a larger one in 2014. They never really wanted a big wedding. Just a small one with close family and friends. Unless she has it next weekend, her sister won't even be at the wedding. Sis is coming in from Louisiana for her bridal shower.

I guess I'm now perplexed at how to plan a wedding on very short notice. I do want it somewhat special...after all, this is a commitment. I'm fine with a justice of the peace.
My daughter and son-in-law are Army soldiers and had a difficult time getting leave to plan a wedding. So they told us on a Saturday night that they had leave for the next weekend. So we had a crazy busy week and planned a beautiful wedding that my daughter loved.

We had the Mass at our church, followed by a luncheon at a local dance studio. We set up tables with trays of fruit, cold cuts, salads and pastries. Many family members wanted to help by contributing salads or desserts. We ordered meat trays, fruit and vegies platters at our local market. A talented friend did the wedding photos.

You have a month before Jan 1 to plan something really special. Sounds like after your son-in-law has been so ill, the family could probably use a celebration about now. If the family all gathers for Christmas or New Years eve, maybe that could be a time to celebrate with a wedding.

You can do this! If you need any tips on doing a quickie wedding, pm me!

Best of luck to you!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
If there isn't a gap in his insurance coverage then he is eligible. So if his insurance ends 12/31/12 and his new insurance picks him up 1/1/13 then he will be covered.
That was not the case for me. We thought we were going to need individual plans b/c my dad thought he might be losing his job and I was denied coverage by 4 different companies because I am uninsurable even though there would have been no gap in coverage. And we appealed each decision. Luckily, my dad didn't lose his job so it didn't matter in the end.

Even if he is accepted, most insurance companies have a waiting period of 6 months before they will cover Anything related to pre existing conditions.

My moms cousin who used to work for a major insurance company as a lawyer has flat out said that there is no way that her former company would ever have covered me.....even if there is no gap in the coverage. She dealt with denials everyday until she stopped being able to sleep because of the people they turned away.

In reality, it is a safer and cheaper option to go with a group plan. They can't drop anyone from a group plan (and the WiLL drop high risk individuals from individual plans) and it will just overall be cheaper.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I have a major medical condition and as long as there was no gap in coverage, then I was covered immediately.if there was a gap it was 6 mo until the pre-existing was covered. A non-employer plan would not cover pre existing and would have denied me. cOBRA was expensive for me (about $450 a month) but the state one for people with pre-existing was $900!!!!!!

I think moving the wedding up is your best bet.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
This is only true if he goes on his new wifes plan within that time period so he won't have to wait 6 months for it to be covered. If he tries for a private insurance plan they will deny him coverage due to pre exhisting even if he had insurance the day before he called them. Insurance companies do not want to cover someone who will cost them money they are in business to make money and pre exhisting conditions cost money.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Ummm, my kids have pre existing conditions and have been on a couple of different insurance plans with no issue They are currently covered under BCBS. My oldest and youngest have both been asthmatics since they were a year old. They also have other medical issues and not one insurance company has denied them coverage or denied their pre existing conditions.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99

Ummm, my kids have pre existing conditions and have been on a couple of different insurance plans with no issue They are currently covered under BCBS. My oldest and youngest have both been asthmatics since they were a year old. They also have other medical issues and not one insurance company has denied them coverage or denied their pre existing conditions.
Is your insurance through an employer? If so that is different.
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
crisi
DIS Veteran

My brother in law managed to switch insurance three times with terminal bladder cancer. And his insurance at the end was $500 a month with a $6000 a year deductible and a $10k a year out of pocket max. He thought that was ridiculous - I couldn't believe a person getting $6000 of chemo every two weeks could get that deal. A lot of this right now depends on state law - Minnesota's is pretty good. He was unemployed and had enough assets to not qualify for Medicare.

But I think a quick wedding is easiest. Keep in simple and then if she wants the big wedding next Spring do that. They are already living together. The other option is that he moves out - he'd qualify for medicare if not in the household, and then moves back in with her after the wedding.

A quick wedding is charming. Have someone build some simple bouquets from Costco flowers. Get a cake. Do an old fashioned potluck.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
Fortunately, the President's health care reform act has already taken care of this issue. Insurance companies can no longer refuse to insure CHILDREN with preexisting conditions. In 2014 the act will apply to adults with preexisting conditions.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
Is your insurance through an employer? If so that is different.
Mine isn't but their dad's is. My kids have gone from Tricare to Champva (Military and Veteran's health insurance) to their dad's work insurance.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
Fortunately, the President's health care reform act has already taken care of this issue. Insurance companies can no longer refuse to insure CHILDREN with preexisting conditions. In 2014 the act will apply to adults with preexisting conditions.
They changed insurances well before last year. Least year was just the latest change.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: