DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Value...Beyond Cost..Whats your value

You can read a ton of threads on this board regarding the "value" of DVC. Most are lengthy calculations of long term cost VS. purchasing a room. Some use Disney rack rates while others use value resorts and anything in between. The bottom line is Disney is expensive DVC or not. I want the best experience both in and out of the park. Let me share with you our first DVC experience. Everyone will place a different value on this, that's up to you.

2 Bedroom Villa at VGC
6:00 AM..Kids Awake and ready. Bowl of cereal at the table while the adults get ready (money saved and no need to spend an hour or so at a buffet).
6:30 AM.. Adults eating breakfast while kids getting ready (yummy healthy breakfast in a dinning room).
7:00 AM...Five minute walk to park entrance for early entrance
8:00 AM..3 rides and 2 character meet and greets down..park open to general public
10:00 AM..Kids forgot coat...15 minute round trip for one of the adults to retrieve forgotten clothes.
12:00...Lunch time..5 minutes back to room (most likely 60 plus for a value resort) Kids relaxing on sofa in living room VS on a bed in hotel room.
12:30...Hearty inexpensive healthy lunch in villa
1:00..Relaxing on sofa in from of TV
1:30..5 Minute walk back to park
6:00..Back to villa for dinner
6:15..Glass of wine in living room/ on balcony
6:30...Second glass of wine..OK you get the point
6:45.. Healthy dinner at a table
7:30...Back to park (5 minutes)
8:15..Infant ready for bed..Watching world of color on balcony
11:30...Back to room for the rest of the family...Monorail ride and 2 minute walk.
12:00..Adults on balcony with a night cap.

The convenience alone is worth it to me. What is your value?
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
You can read a ton of threads on this board regarding the "value" of DVC. Most are lengthy calculations of long term cost VS. purchasing a room. Some use Disney rack rates while others use value resorts and anything in between. The bottom line is Disney is expensive DVC or not. I want the best experience both in and out of the park. Let me share with you our first DVC experience. Everyone will place a different value on this, that's up to you.

2 Bedroom Villa at VGC
6:00 AM..Kids Awake and ready. Bowl of cereal at the table while the adults get ready (money saved and no need to spend an hour or so at a buffet).
6:30 AM.. Adults eating breakfast while kids getting ready (yummy healthy breakfast in a dinning room).
8:00 AM..3 rides and 2 character meet and greets down..park open to general public
10:00 AM..Kids forgot coat...15 minute round trip for one of the adults to retrieve forgotten clothes.
12:00...Lunch time..5 minutes back to room (most likely 60 plus for a value resort) Kids relaxing on sofa in living room VS on a bed in hotel room.
11:30...Back to room for the rest of the family...Monorail ride and 2 minute walk.

Having a luxurious room with plenty of space (usually 1 bedroom). All I'm paying now is $117 a month for 250 BWV points. No hotel bill at the end of the stay.
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

My value of owning DVC is less monetary vs knowing that my hard-working DH will actually commit to several vacations a year & relax instead of working like a dog all the time. It's instilled the travel bug in him.

I ran the numbers after i blanched at a $3,500 price quote for a week at the Poly years ago. Promptly bought our first resale for the same amount and added on thru DVC direct, but always on a cash basis and haven't looked back.

We could use more points, but have resisted since we enjoy mixing things up via staying offsite and other types of trips these days. It's all good unless i'm expected to cook anything more taxing that a cup of coffee on vacation

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Knowing that I am going to going back to WDW for many years to come. I am 59 & DH is going to be 69. We just bought DVC on our last DCL cruise in August. With it being 42 years left that would make DH 111 & me 101 when it expires. He is planning on it expiring before he does.

We liked that we could pass it on to the kids. They are DisneyNuts, too.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
sarah-jane
Mouseketeer

Much like OP our vacations are infinitely more relaxing with the kitchen and space for everyone.

sarah-jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:

2 Bedroom Villa at VGC

This is our plan. Though it will be our first DVC stay in the world. We did this many times off site with much added travel time.

The best part is is getting our kids on 10 rides in the first 1-2 hours and then walking back into the parks all refreshed and seeing people dragging their kids out spent!

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
TSMMANIAC
Mouseketeer

The ability to bring friends and family with us to share vacations at Disney. Also not having to share a BR with any children. Having a cup of coffee on the OKW balcony in my PJs every morning. I especially enjoy the planning and planning of future DVC vacations.
TSMMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Bringing friends is great. This last trip we went with some of our best friends who have kids the same ages as ours. Sharing such an awesome experience is incredible.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
We never stay in anything less than a 1BR if it is just the two of us. When we bring the two kids, we never stay in anything less than a 2BR. Our most recent stay was at BCV for Food & Wine. So, I completely understand the condo vs. hotel room and location-location -location points you are making here.

However, it's worth remembering though that you don't need to own DVC to have that vacation experience. You can always rent from another Member. With a little bit of planning and flexibility, you can sometimes exchange in via RCI. Depending on how often you go, etc., that might well be a less expensive way of having exactly the same vacation experience.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

I bought in

8 years ago and have 35 left on my contract. A lot of the points that have been made so far are spot on. When I wake up, I don't have to walk any further than the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. We love relaxing on the balcony/patio in the morning and evening with those famous adult beverages. We love the peace and Quiet of OKW no where your villa is and the pools (not the main one) are usually uncrowded and quiet for the most part. We love making a fresh breakfast in the villa each morning but will occasionally hit Olivia's or Trails end for a change of pace.

We no longer 'run the parks' because we don't have to. We hit one in the morning for a few key rides adn then head back to relax by the pool with an adult beverage. Later on we head to what ever park or hotel we are having dinner at.

DVC has made us more relaxed on vacation that ever before. We can trade out if we want or rent our points to family or friends if we don't feel like a third or fourth trip in a particular year. We have allowed family to go with us gratis, but we have found that they don't seem to appreciate it as much as if we have them pay a nominal amount to share the villa.

We are planning to relocate to Florida in the near future and my wife said we could let her kids use our points.......I told her NOT! The points would still be used by us...for DATE NIGHT!

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
disneybass
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day

Quote:

2 Bedroom Villa at VGC

Pretty cool deal we have, don't we!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
bltpoppins
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Brian Noble;46821408]

However, it's worth remembering though that you don't need to own DVC to have that vacation experience. QUOTE]

I want to know that I have my BLT 2 BR LV the week before Xmas every year.
For us, this is our Xmas with our family and this is why I purchases BLT. Ownership has its perks!
bltpoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMMANIAC View Post
The ability to bring friends and family with us to share vacations at Disney. Also not having to share a BR with any children. Having a cup of coffee on the OKW balcony in my PJs every morning. I especially enjoy the planning and planning of future DVC vacations.
OMG, you took the words right out of my mouth. The only thing I would add, always having a trip to look forward to and gone are the "commando" days, we actually relax even doing the parks!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #14
mikron
Donald Pin Collector

We bought in 2004 to SSR and then OKW. SSR is great but when we stayed at OKW it was the best. The one bed room gives all the feel of home and as you we used it like home. No value to our enjoyment for us. Best nights sleep for me over any motel/hotel. When we stayed in a dedicated two bedroom WOW didn't want to go home.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
joeyrose
Mouseketeer

these days, i come to disney for the resorts and family atmosphere, not the parks. love dvc!
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: