Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
331LXEric
Earning My Ears

Draft beer on the Fantasy?

With the pre-maiden voyage cruises going on, I would be interested to know what draft beers are available on the Fantasy.

I'm considering the $15 beer mug deal but would want to make sure that there are drafts that I like before partaking in the beer mug deal.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
DsnysGr8t
Mouseketeer

Here's what I remember from the pre-inaugural western on the Fantasy:

Stella
Bud Light
Long Board
Michelob Amber Bock
Guinness (will be available on MV)
Heinekin
Red Hook Pale Ale
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
bzss7x
Mr. Incredible went to LSU

Wait a minute. $15 gets me all the Heinekin I want? Sign me up.
2013 Wonder 7 Nights to Alaska

WDW - 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Disneyland - 2008
bzss7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
DsnysGr8t
Mouseketeer

Nope, $15 gets you a 22oz DCL mug. This can then be filled at any bar on the ship serving draft for prices from $4.95 (Bud Light and Amber Bock) and up (I think the most expensive was $7.95). But remember! This is a 22oz mug, so if you just got a regular draft beer w/o the mug it would be the same price only 12 oz.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

A beer withOUT the mug is actually a 16oz beer.

The mug was worth it for us

Here is a breakdown I figured out awhile back-

You cannot buy a 22oz beer only a 16oz.
Here is my info from an old post where I figured out all the math

22oz Glass Mug that is refillable.(pre purchase online or buy the FIRST day of cruise)

Cost is 14.95 plus a beer--about 6 bucks (~21.00)

a regular beer is 16oz. You pay that price for a beer (about 6 bucks-varies plus tip,we drink the more expensive ones) to fill a 22oz mug.

you can keep mug with you or turn it in when done drinking for the time being and get a little card for a refill, just don't forget to get a mug back at the end of your trip.

Here is the "DEAL"(breaking even on purchase price-because people have asked in the past) part broke down(I posted this several months ago on a beer thread).....

Ok, my husband and I figured this out before....We will say an average 16oz beer is $6.00 (Guinness being the most.....bud/miller light least)

MUG- $15.00 (equal to about the cost of 3ish regular small beers, I am aware that $6x3 does not equal 15 trying to simplify)

You get about 5 extra ounces per mug (yes they are 22 oz, but spillage, beer head etc. we will leave off an ounce )

So if you buy 3 beers in your mug, that is 15 bonus ounces which would be pretty close to a 16oz beer.

So, 9 mug beers would give you appx. 3 small beers worth of "extra" beer.

So, depending on what brand you are drinking ( they vary in price) you would have to order 9 or 10 beers with your mug.

(which we do NOT need a 7 day cruise for )

Math is not my one of my strong suits, but I think I got it right....

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

Last edited by mammacaryn; 03-22-2012 at 02:22 PM.
mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
DsnysGr8t
Mouseketeer

MY BAD, it is a 16oz glass. Darn these fake fingernails!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
vithibee1
Earning My Ears

break even point

If the beer is $7 each, the break even is 5.7 uses. On your 6th beer, you have saved enough to pay for the mug. Each additional beer is a $2.63 savings assuming you want that last "extra 6 ounces".

The real math problem is mug versus BYOB. Assuming you enjoy the DCL draft as much as any BYOB beer (can or bottle), then you can calculate the penalty (higher cost) of not BYOBing your own beer. In other words, all things being equal, the amount of money you pay to offset the restrictions on BYOB (hassle to purchase and carry on, handling in room without true refrigerator, limits on where you can take the beer once open), then:

Price of a bottle of decent beer (6 pack), say $1.50 for 12 oz or $18 for 144 oz. (2 six packs)
Price for mug $15 and $7 plus 15% for 22 oz draft.

I will spare you the math, but the penalty at 2 six packs is roughly $49.32 (the math is not clean since multiples of 22 oz beer won't equal a multiple of 12 oz soon enough to be reasonable). Eventhough the mug price for oz drops over time (given the fixed nature of the mug purchase price), the differential will never start decreasing since the mug beer is 36.6 cents per oz and the bottle is 12.5 cents. The next rationale stop point is three six packs and that carries a $68.50 penalty. Whether you are going for 3 days or 7, the math is the same. You pay $8 extra to brink the draft and not hassle with BYOB - you decide on the cost/benefit analysis since the benefits are largely intangible.

(I ignored waste, the cost of buying the BYOB beer - they are potentially significant for some people but involve too many variables.)
vithibee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
x00x
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithibee1 View Post
If the beer is $7 each, the break even is 5.7 uses. On your 6th beer, you have saved enough to pay for the mug. Each additional beer is a $2.63 savings assuming you want that last "extra 6 ounces".

The real math problem is mug versus BYOB. Assuming you enjoy the DCL draft as much as any BYOB beer (can or bottle), then you can calculate the penalty (higher cost) of not BYOBing your own beer. In other words, all things being equal, the amount of money you pay to offset the restrictions on BYOB (hassle to purchase and carry on, handling in room without true refrigerator, limits on where you can take the beer once open), then:

Price of a bottle of decent beer (6 pack), say $1.50 for 12 oz or $18 for 144 oz. (2 six packs)
Price for mug $15 and $7 plus 15% for 22 oz draft.

I will spare you the math, but the penalty at 2 six packs is roughly $49.32 (the math is not clean since multiples of 22 oz beer won't equal a multiple of 12 oz soon enough to be reasonable). Eventhough the mug price for oz drops over time (given the fixed nature of the mug purchase price), the differential will never start decreasing since the mug beer is 36.6 cents per oz and the bottle is 12.5 cents. The next rationale stop point is three six packs and that carries a $68.50 penalty. Whether you are going for 3 days or 7, the math is the same. You pay $8 extra to brink the draft and not hassle with BYOB - you decide on the cost/benefit analysis since the benefits are largely intangible.

(I ignored waste, the cost of buying the BYOB beer - they are potentially significant for some people but involve too many variables.)
now THAT is a first post.

:D
x00x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
KTJ
Earning My Ears

I don't think I could drink such a big beer before it got warm. So even if I was getting a bigger beer, I wouldn't enjoy it as much, does that make sense? I think I'm better off bringing my own no matter what.

KTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
dqjohnson18
Earning My Ears

whew! So I thin we by one mug and my husband and I share the whole trip!!!!
dqjohnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: