DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Joan1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,024

how do you insure your points?

We normally do not get insurance on a land trip where cancellation policy is where you can cancel almost up to the day of the vacation. We always purchase insurance for non-refundable vacations and cruises

Does anyone purchase insurance for any vacations booked under your DVC points? If you do how do you figure out the $ to insure? We have parents that are getting up in age and have some health issues and it is something we have been discussing lately

TY
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 47,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan1 View Post
We normally do not get insurance on a land trip where cancellation policy is where you can cancel almost up to the day of the vacation. We always purchase insurance for non-refundable vacations and cruises

Does anyone purchase insurance for any vacations booked under your DVC points? If you do how do you figure out the $ to insure? We have parents that are getting up in age and have some health issues and it is something we have been discussing lately

TY
If you buy the insurance through DVC, you get your dues money on the points lost. Unless you are at the end of your use year and will not be able to reschedule, I would not insure unless it's a huge amount of points. I have insured airfare directly through the airline and I used it when my mom passed.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
erionm
DIS Veteran
 
erionm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 12,777

The insurance offered by DVC is $79 per UY and covers all trips (and all persons listed on reservation) taken during that UY. If a trip includes points from multiple UYs, a fee must be paid (or already) for each UYs points. Details of the DVC Travel Insurance is available on the Member Website. There's a link at the very bottom of the main page.
__________________
Michael
erionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Muhlenberg
Clues! We want clues!
It's a small world after all It's a small world after all...
E / E
Tushy imprinting chair here
 
Muhlenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under a Rock in Gilbertsville, PA
Posts: 12,546

I buy the insurance from DVC. The first year was expensive, as I used banked, current and borrowed points, but it was a family trip, and I just felt better with the insurance. My mother is 88, and well, anything can happen at any time, and we take her with us when we go. The DVC insurance covers trip interruption, cancellation, and all the normal things, and I look at it like I might not be able to re-book if I have to cancel. (Only child...no siblings to leave "in charge", etc.) After that initial year when it was $79 x 3, it's now just $79 a year, as I'm usually in the borrow mode. It's well worth it to me.
__________________
Kathy It's O.K. to Dream...

Next dream unknown...



CR 6/97 6/00 8/06 1/07 CBR 8/07 CR 1/08 BWV 8/08 SSR 1/09 AKV-K 9/09
BLT 2/10 THV 8/10 BWV 1/11 AKV-K 4/12 OKW 12/12 SSR 12/13



Muhlenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
vek239
Mouseketeer
 
vek239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: OOOOOKlahoma!
Posts: 231

We purchased the DVC insurance this year. Multiple trips with various family members. Healthy but aging elderly folks back home.
vek239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
DVC Grandpa
DVC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Milwaukee WI Area
Posts: 852

Thumbs up

I just insured my 2014 UR points prior to making a long October 2014 Food and Wine stay. It was the forth consecutive year doing so. Being in my 70ís I feel it is wise to have the insurance and by purchasing it before any points are barrowed or prior to the UY, any pre existing conditions are covered. I hope we never have to use it, but itís there if we do.
DVC Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
maburke
DIS Veteran
 
maburke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Grandpa View Post
I just insured my 2014 UR points prior to making a long October 2014 Food and Wine stay. It was the forth consecutive year doing so. Being in my 70ís I feel it is wise to have the insurance and by purchasing it before any points are barrowed or prior to the UY, any pre existing conditions are covered. I hope we never have to use it, but itís there if we do.
This is an important point: if you pay it with your dues, pre-existing conditions are covered.
__________________
Meghan & DH & ds 17 ds 14 (both with autism) dd 10



1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 255

I echo everyone's comments. I'd just buy the DVC insurance. For $79 per UY, it isn't that big of a cost, particularly given how much we spend on DVC and the vacations! This year I had an actual scare... spent a TON of points for my family to do a WDW/cruise 10 day trip and I had my first major gallbladder attack two days before leaving port. While I was beside myself with the thought of canceling a cruise 18 months in the making (and I was in WDW, nonetheless), at least knowing we had insurance to cover staying wherever we needed made it a bit more comforting. Luckily with modern medicine, I was able to go on the cruise and I dealt with the gallbladder issue after the vacation. But I'll never go without insurance again. We also have had TWO previous, non-insured trips where one of my kids came down with a major sinus infection after flying to FL. The infections were so severe that we couldn't fly home and had to rent a car to drive back to IL (plus pay a hotel room for the night driving back). So after these experiences, I'll continue to buy the insurance while we are heavy DVC travelers. I think it is worth the $79 and hope I NEVER have to use it!
__________________
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 59,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhlenberg View Post
I buy the insurance from DVC. The first year was expensive, as I used banked, current and borrowed points, but it was a family trip, and I just felt better with the insurance. My mother is 88, and well, anything can happen at any time, and we take her with us when we go. The DVC insurance covers trip interruption, cancellation, and all the normal things, and I look at it like I might not be able to re-book if I have to cancel. (Only child...no siblings to leave "in charge", etc.) After that initial year when it was $79 x 3, it's now just $79 a year, as I'm usually in the borrow mode. It's well worth it to me.
This is what I was wondering about. So after the first year, are you only paying to add on the borrowed points into the pool?
__________________

bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
zavandor
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: An Italian in London
Posts: 889

I don't understand why it's fixed price.
I own (for the moment, addonitis is striking) 65 points, with the idea of using them every 3 years. If I insure them, I would need to pay a 237$, around 1/3 of the MF I pay for the points.
It does not make sense.

They should charge a few cents per point: for a bigger risk (more points) one would pay more, for less points one would pay less (and would get back less in case of cancellation).
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.