Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
pmcneff
Mouseketeer

CSR vs POR French Quarter

which do you prefer and why. we are going in July of 2013 with older kids 17 - 23 and are wondering which resort between these two would be best. thanks!!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

My preference between those two would be CSR.
Reasons are:
1. I think the pool at CSR is better
2. CSR has a gym (the only moderate that has one).

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Tara D
Mouseketeer

POFQ, but after our last stay at CBR I am just determined to stay in a small resort next time I go with my kids!

If you are planning on spending A LOT of time at the resort and swimming, I would probably choose CSR for your kids ages (mine are 2 and 5 and require a stroller). If you are going to spend most time at the parks and just sleep at your resort and grab a few meals, POFQ is easier to get around.
2008- Pop Century
2011- Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate Room!!)
2012- Agent trip
2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
2014- Coronado Springs

Planning our Feb 2015 trip at Caribbean Beach

I am a Disney travel agent
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
nkereina
Wendy Darling

It depends. Many people love POFQ because it's quaint, small, and easy to get around. You also have the ability to use the amenities at POR. However, for us, we found the smallness of POFQ to be a deterrent because everything felt crowded. We travel in September during low crowd season and preferred POR because it was more spread out and felt empty. Everything was crowded at POFQ since the food court is small, there's no quiet pools, and there is only one bus stop. We also found the walk to POR to be long enough where you'd probably only want to do it once, especially in July. It's a long path in the direct sun. The boat to DTD, however, is great.

CSR is large which we don't mind, but its worse than POR because there's a big lake in the middle. There's no easy way to get from one side to the other whereas at POR, there are bridges periodically across the river. If you want to stay near the food court at CSR, you'll be a good walk from the main pool and vice versa. I also don't love the concept of the food court with the host seating you and cleaning up after you, etc. But the food options are very good.

So, like everything else, pros and cons. I'd probably go CSR.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

I'd pick CSR, because of the pool and just because I find the themeing more appealing. I agree though with Tara D that if you're just planning on basically using the resort as a place to sleep, POFQ is probably more functional, but CSR wins on style.

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

I'd pick POFQ for the option of using amenities at POR and the boat to DTD
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both, but under the circumstances OP described, I'd vote for POFQ. I do prefer the theme at CSR and the beds are better (white comforters instead of the scratchy bedspreads.) But as much as I like the theme at CSR generally, I prefer POFQ overall. And the deciding factor for my advice to OP: It's July. Having been to WDW a few times in the summer, I can say that a room close to the bus, food and the lobby would be VERY important. While I like the lake at CSR and find it relaxing to walk around, that's in January/February/March, but not in July!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: