Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Which camera to take

We're taking a relatively quick and relatively spur-of-the-moment trip to WDW next week. I have a DSLR that I really don't know how to use (other than auto) and a point and shoot. Would you bother taking the DSLR if you're just going to use it. as a big P&S?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

This is a person with multiple skill sets
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
We're taking a relatively quick and relatively spur-of-the-moment trip to WDW next week. I have a DSLR that I really don't know how to use (other than auto) and a point and shoot. Would you bother taking the DSLR if you're just going to use it. as a big P&S?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I don't know which P & S or DSLR you have (it may make a difference), but "rule of thumb" is even in Auto a DSLR should get better images. Remember that is only a "rule of thumb". Recently, there have been some high end P & S' which are challenging that rule. It may help to know which cameras you own/choosing between. Also the lenses you have for the DSLR could also affect the recommendation.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Well, it depends on the quality of your P&S, but for the most part, I wouldn't take a DSLR if it was just going to serve as a large P&S. It's a lot to carry around and not really worth it if you don't really know how to work it.

I see you have an iPad - that would work as a good P&S if you want to carry that around the parks with you. I'm assuming you have an iPhone, too. The iPhone 4s has a wonderful camera. And then you could purchase the Camera Plus app which is only a dollar or two which helps you focus faster and get sharp images rather than blurry ones (one of the finicky things with the iPhone camera, particularly the 4 is that you have to hold it exceptionally still or it's blurry). Then it's easy to add filters and such to give it an artsy flair if that's your thing on the iPhone/iPad.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
hakepb
DIS Veteran

I'm one of the point and shoot users that sees some of the great DSLr pics and dreams of wandering around the World, playing with a DSLr... But that wouldn't fit my vacations, I'd be spending more time with the camera than DS, so I stick with the easy PnS.

I'm guessing you are not anticipating "time to play wih a new toy(DSLr)" and without a comfortable strap or bag, you may regret lugging it around...or bring both and leave one in your room an try or out.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

If you're willing to carry it sure. It's going to be better than the majority of small P&S's. I'd bet that there are a lot of DSLR owners that rarely or never take them off of auto so if that's the worry that you're not using it as intended I'd let go of that concern.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
havoc315
DIS Veteran

As said, typically speaking, a dSLR will produce better results than PnS even on auto mode.
The other half of the equation, is what you are comfortable carrying. Want something tiny that fits in your pocket and you don't even notice you're carrying. Or something that can get a little weighty around your neck after hours of running around.
So the equation is added image quality (which depends on the quality of your cameras) versus ease of park touring.
My last trip, I used a high end PnS, so I could have easy touring without forfeiting much image quality. On the other hand, with a very low end PnS, you may gain a lot of image quality by using dSLR.
havoc315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa

I don't know which P & S or DSLR you have (it may make a difference
I have a Canon Rebel XS and the P&S is a Canon sx60 hs.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Do you mean SX260? Or do you have their newest bridge camera the SX50?
The only SX60 Canon makes is a video projector

The Rebel XS/1000D is a slightly older DSLr that appears to max out at ISO 1600, but it is still a cleaner ISO 1600 (just looked at DPReviews studio shot comparison) than the newer (but smaller sensor) SX260 can achieve, and the SX260 has a fairly slow zoom lens (no advantage over the kit lens on the Rebel in the common zoom range)
I don't see that the Rebel can shoot video, if that is a concern. (The Sx260 can take HD 1080 24p video)
I still think you would get better pictures with the Rebel, and it should focus much faster in most situations, but the Sx260 can take very enjoyable pictures (unless you are a critical photographer).

I still think I'd take both if you can buy a more comfortable neck strap, but take the SX260 to Animal Kingdom for the zoom on The safari. But there's nothing wrong just using the SX.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
Do you mean SX260? Or do you have their newest bridge camera the SX50?
The only SX60 Canon makes is a video projector
Yes, the 260.

I forgot to mention that we also have two zoom lenses we have purchased for the rebel. Like many beginners, we focused on zoom, and I think our "long lens" goes out to 300 mm. I have found the photo quality when zooming to really be lacking, but if I recall what I recently read correctly, that's because, I suppose, that the shutter speed slows down when zoomed out.

The only thing that's keeping me from returning the 260 (still in the return period) is that it has some scene modes that can do more than I can do on the Rebel. I took a picture of a christmas tree last night using the 260's night scene mode that was miles ahead of what I could do on the Rebel.

I have purchased the photographing fireworks e-book from the Disney Photography Blog. I'm probably going to wind up using the 260 for most shots and using the Rebel for fireworks.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Unless you have a really expensive fixed aperature zoom lens, your zoom probably has a smaller aperature (higher f/ number) that gets higher as you zoom which means less light gets to the sensor, so the camera has to compensate with a slower shutter speed and/or a higher ISO value. (But no lens physically reduces the shutter speed, just the available light)
In addition, zoom lenses may be less optically sharp than others.

I would probably start using the Sports mode (running guy on the mode dial) with the zoom until you start learning the Av and Tv modes to minimize blur.

It does seem most photographers at Disney prefer wide angle (if you backup in a crowd, people quickly fill in the space infront of you) but the zoom is a bunch of fun on the Safari so I would only carry that lens on just the AK day

And for fireworks, you need a tripod because those shots are generally 2-5 second exposures.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb View Post
And for fireworks, you need a tripod because those shots are generally 2-5 second exposures.
I was going to look today to see if I could find a good travel tripod on Amazon. Any recommendations?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

This is probably the second most asked camera question on the web after "which camera should I buy?". Everyone seems to have an opinion on what "travel" tripod to buy. The Benro Travel Angel series gets a lot of votes and I'm sure Manfrotto has one or two also. Aluminum vs Carbon Fiber (more $$). I would recommend staying away from the "$25" Walmart special. I would not recommend putting a more expensive DSLR on an overly cheap tripod. That is a recipe for disaster. I don't know about others, but when I travel to WDW, it is by plane so weight and/or compactness is an issue. For me, I found the Cullmann Magic 4 works best. It is lightweight (but is rated to hold my DSLR and heaviest lens), folds flat (for storage in a suitcase or in my water bottle net on the side of my camera backpack) and due to its unique leg configuration allows me to hang my bag on the legs for extra stability. Also it converts to a monopod and for macro, the camera can be mounted upside down.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...STEM_w_CB.html

Trust me, this is just my solution for a travel tripod. Others will give you more opinions. Again, I would recommend staying away from the overly cheap, less stable ones.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I was going to look today to see if I could find a good travel tripod on Amazon. Any recommendations?
Look at a gorilla pod. Works especially well for fireworks at Epcot, just attach it to the railing.
havoc315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Look at a gorilla pod. Works especially well for fireworks at Epcot, just attach it to the railing.
It has been my experience that at MK there is not as much available fencing to attach a gorillapod. In addition to my travel tripod, I bring a SLR-Zoom Gorillapod for situations where I can't use my regular travel tripod. I would not bring it as my primary tripod. Of course, I like to have all my options covered.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
rossb
Mouseketeer

In your case I'd take the SX260. It is a good P&S.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: